IGNORED

5200 troubleshooting: blank, black screen

BigO

I recently acquired a 5200 (2 port, if that matters) for a really good price from a fellow AtariAger.

The power supply, Atari part number C018187, had a blown fuse which I replaced. Unloaded, the power supply is putting out ~14.7v which looks pretty clean on an oscilloscope. Now the 5200 powers up.

On power up it only displays a blank, black screen, but the video is clean in that it doesn't jump or flicker or change colors, or do the wiggly-scrambled-missing-sync-pulse thing. Steady as a rock-no roll.

With a cartridge, it displays the same as without a cartridge: blank, black screen. I cleaned and tested 4 or 5 cartridges. The only thing I see different with a cartridge installed is that it will occasionally display a blue-green, teal-ish screen briefly on startup before it goes back to displaying black. Less frequently, I get a solid white band about 2-3 inches wide down the length of left side of the screen (31" CRT) with the rest of the screen showing a similar bluish-green color.

The console is connected directly to the f-connector input on the TV with the same RCA to F-connector adapter that I use with my other game consoles.

I intend to do the basics: dismantle the unit, inspect and clean the cartridge slot and inspect the board for any obvious problems.

I'm brand new to the 5200. I would greatly appreciate pointers as to specific things I might look for if anyone has experienced and resolved this issue. I'm looking for education.

=============================================================================

Secondarily, or maybe primarily, while searching the forums for 20-30 minutes and finding nothing that seemed relevant, I hoped I'd stumble onto a single thread or sub-forum repository for symptoms and suggested possible remedies. I see common problems being posted and replied to repeatedly, so I don't think I'm the only one who has a hard time tracking down this type of information.

More realistically, maybe it could be a thread that was just an index of links, with a brief description like "no video" and a link to a posting where the issue has been discussed by someone previously.

Hardware Troubleshooting 101?

If there is such a repository that covers the 5200 (and 2600 7800, of course), I'd certainly appreciate someone kicking me toward the right general direction.

Edited by BigO