IGNORED

Gamecube batteries inside??

I was browsing an excellent document created by Chris Pepin called "VIDEO GAME POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGES AND MINOR REPAIR FAQ" and found this:

The Nintendo Gamecube also has some sort of battery installed

to save the system settings. According to the manual, when they

eventually die, you'll need to have an authorized dealer replace

them. Since I haven't opened mine up yet, I'm not sure if the

batteries are standard CR2032 batteries or something more

propriatary. Hopefully the former. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'LL NEED A GAMEBIT SCREWDRIVER TO GET THE SYSTEM OPEN AS WELL.

Damn, what if there are no authorized dealers nearby?

Whitout a gamebit screwdriver you might be screwed LOL.

What's wrong with ordinary phillips screws, somehow you could think of it as if they wanted to force people to pay for manteinance service, welcome to the new millenium folks.

Shortly before the GC was released in the states, there was one of those hardware hacking websites that showed how complicated it was to open a GC...apparently it's not just opening the exterior casing, but the interior components-specifically the controller port harness-are extremely fragile and difficult to negotiate around. Then there are the tiny screws in side the unit. Kind of makes you glad that the XBOX is as large, clean and logically put together as it is, unlike the GC! Apparently being so tiny and compact has its drawbacks, as we now see! I don't believe my XBOX has a battery since it loses its setting anytime its unplugged for more than 6 hours...must be some kind of static RAM or something.

My Sega Saturn has the best battery system setup ever! Just unclip the little door on the back of the unit, pop out the battery and replace! Nice and easy!

very...very....sad.

The GC is pretty easy to get into, I took the casing off a few days ago (hey, I work at an opticians, we have loads of screwdrivers, including one that resembled a gamebit - :))

Didn't really see the battery though, but I assume it's there.

Hmm, I've never actually worn out one of those batteries, my Saturn still has its original so I'm not about to lose any sleep there :D

ive only had to change my saturn battery once.. if only duracells were as reliable!

Same here! I got my Saturn new in 1997 when the prices dropped to $49 so I could play Sega Rally. I think I hooked up my Saturn last year to make sure it was still working and the battery was already dead. Went to Target, got a replacement, and installed it. Didn't have a back up cart so all my Resident Evil saves and Sega Rally settings got wiped out. :| :| :|

I got the cheap saturn when it came with 3 games, mainly to play panzer dragoon..

And I did as well, but my main motive for

the purchase was the glorious racing title

Sega Rally.

The 3 free game bundle also sweetened the

deal. Many hours were spent mastering

Virtua Fighter 2's complex combat system.

And Daytona was a joy to behold

despite its reduced resolution and choppy

frame rate.

All in all, my belief is that the money

was well spent. Sadly, my Saturn is

rarely played these days. But I will never

part with it.

I got the cheap saturn when it came with 3 games, mainly to play panzer dragoon..

Sega Rally.

frame rate.

part with it.

Sega Rally.

frame rate.

part with it.

ive only had to change my saturn battery once.. if only duracells were as reliable!

Same here! I got my Saturn new in 1997 when the prices dropped to $49 so I could play Sega Rally. I think I hooked up my Saturn last year to make sure it was still working and the battery was already dead. Went to Target, got a replacement, and installed it. Didn't have a back up cart so all my Resident Evil saves and Sega Rally settings got wiped out. :| :| :|

Never mind RE & Sega Rally; when my Saturn battery died, I lost my Tomb Raider save! Well, I ripped a battery out of a DCast VMU pretty quick! I got a memory cart a while ago so thing like this will never happen again.

On another tack, don't be too quick to discount the playability of the Saturn, yesterday I picked up the import of Dead or Alive for the Saturn and it seriously rocks. I would have to say it's better than VF2, but heck, it's like comparing California oranges to Florida oranges.... who knows?

Markimus of K.

On another tack, don't be too quick to discount the playability of the Saturn, yesterday I picked up the import of Dead or Alive for the Saturn and it seriously rocks. I would have to say it's better than VF2, but heck, it's like comparing California oranges to Florida oranges.... who knows?

Markimus of K.

More like comparing California watermelons to Florida grapes... ;)