IGNORED

Videoboard XE

Heaven/TQA

Yes it looks like a db9 connector to me too. Standard VGA has a 15pin connector

EDIT. It's described as an RGB output so I'm guessing a component cables to db9 connector rather than vga

Edited by Tezz

Yes it looks like a db9 connector to me too. Standard VGA has a 15pin connector

EDIT. It's described as an RGB output so I'm guessing a component cables to db9 connector rather than vga

And you're right. This is RGB component signal 0,7Vp-p, plus "RGB control" for SCART plus CVBS (standard atari CVBS) as sync source or alternatively CSYNC as sync source for some monitors. But this is still 15KHz / 50 (60) Hz standard, not VGA.

I recall this post from Electron that explains several things about Videoboard XE, it is useful information.

Hi.

VBXE replaces GTIA in sense of capturing ANTIC (digital) output and creating own RGB output fully compatible (playfields / PMG / GTIA modes) with the GTIA but of much better picture quality.

Original GTIA is still working and old video output is also active. This has the additional advantage that some GTIA features like PMG collision detection / CSYNC generation are still provided by original GTIA and not by FPGA, so I have more room in FPGA for other tasks. In this configuration VBXE captures all writes to d000-d0ff but does NOT handle reads from d000-d00ff leaving this for old GTIA. Ofcourse, by mean "VBXE" I assume hardware + appropriate emulation softcore which is now 100% finished.

Ram ext questions ... VBXE gtia emu softcore additionally and optionally emulates 320kB RAMBO 100% compatible RAM expansion - it uses half of 512kB board memory. There is NO separate ANTIC access but it CAN be implemented, but in this case max. amount of extended RAM will be 192kB (64 + 128) because of fact, that using additional PORTB pins already used in the computer (b0, b1, b7) requires some track cutting ... In my opinion so few programs are using more than 320kB or separate ANTIC access ... Installing or not instaling VBXE RAM expansion is not a question of wiring but of softcore loaded.

VBXE has FLASH memory onboard. It can keep up to 4 different configurations, one of them can be auto-bootable after computer power up. Booting time is 6s. FLASH can be re-programmed by ATARI program FLASH UTILITY. You can also load a new softcore without re-programming the flash.

At this moment there is only GTIA emu + RAM ext softcore fully finished and available. I have to merge blitter softcore and gtia emu softcore, because blitter softcore was based on very early version of GTIA emulation ... and it will be a bit of pain ... :)

But as I mentioned earlier, softcores can be downloaded and flashed.

About RAM, yes this is a 512kB FAST (10ns) SRAM.

This is not the first thread in AtariAge regarding this board, look through these threads for information and the feedback on this board.

New video-card for 8-bit atari...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...20XE&st=125

Video Upgrade:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...%20XE&st=50

What Would You Do with Video Board XE?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...l=VIDEOBOARD+XE

Putting a New board in the Atari is exciting, now what would people do with them, would like to see some screen shots of what people come up with.

15KHz is the same scan rate as a TV (line frequency that is... 262 lines * 60 fps for NTSC Ataris)

so you could connect a TV if you have one with RGB/SCART input, or if you have an RGB to component/whatever converter.

...as opposed to a VGA monitor which runs at 31KHz or greater