IGNORED

Gamecube gaming on the Wii...

King_Salamon

I recently found myself a Wavebird and am now ready to play some Gamecube games on the Wii. Today I put in MegaMan Collection and gave it a whirl. I liked it and basically played for about 10 minutes to test out the Wavebird (awesome controller!).

Once I finished playing around with it I wanted to get back to the Wii menu. Is there something I am missing or is there no way back to the menu? I ended up ejecting the disc and pressing reset to get back to the Wii menu screen. I also noted that it doesn't leave you a message indicating how many minutes of Gamecube playing you did. Perhaps I missed something. Any help on this one?

Also, I tried the Nintendo site for how to play cube games on the Wii and there isn't much help and there is the instruction manual but it wouldn't open (PDF file) and made my computer hang up. At any rate, any help and info would be wonderful!

I guess you can get spoiled playing Wii games and simply pressing home to stop playing and access other channels etc. I would really like the time played with Gamecube games as well as I can track times for each game to see if I've got my $$'s worth with a title.

The system basically switches to GC mode. The Wii functionality is lost when this occurs. You will notice that your wii remotes will disconnect when you start a GC game. Since the BC is in hardware I can see why it is done this way. If there is another way to reset I don't know about it. I do it the same way you do.

Well I picked up Paper Mario Thousand Year Door to play after I finish off Super Paper Mario.

I'll be on the lookout for some classic arcade collections in the future as well.

I think I should play some Metal Slug with the Wavebird as I've been using the Wiimote as my controller so far and I rather like it but with the Wavebird I may have found a new preference!

As I understand it...the Wii doesn't have an issue with backward compatibility because it contains all the Cube hardware already. Keep in the mind that the current graphics chip and processor in the Wii are the same chips used in the Cube. They are only clocked faster than the Cube's chips were, and the Wii has more ram. But honestly, this is the realy reason the Wii games look like Cube games. Because the Wii has the same graphics chip the Cube had. In fact, I once looked at a spec sheet between the two chips, and aside from the Wii's being clocked faster and I think able to address more memory, there were ZERO differences in the graphical abilities. No new 3D abilities added that I could tell. I'm sure someone with more indepth knowledge about the hardware than myself can confirm this, but basically, the Wii is a supercharged Cube with a different control system. As such, there shouldn't be any issues with Cube game compatibility.

Is the GC emulation 100% or are there incompatibilities? The only GC game I played on the Wii was Zelda and I didn't notice any problems, but that was only one game.

The Wii is 100% software compatible, though you may notice slightly higher quality sound and graphics. Where the Wii fails to be compatible is in areas of expansion hardware. The Broadband Adapter, Modem, and Gameboy Advance connector are all unsupported. So if you want to use any of those features, you'll need a Gamecube. However, this is only because the Wii lacks the GC's serial port. Anything that plugs into the controller ports or memory ports is still supported. This includes the GCN controller, Wavebird, Kongas, Microphone, Memory Cards, etc. There have been a few reports of third party memory cards failing, but those reports often come in for Gamecubes as well. *shrug*

As I understand it...the Wii doesn't have an issue with backward compatibility because it contains all the Cube hardware already. Keep in the mind that the current graphics chip and processor in the Wii are the same chips used in the Cube. They are only clocked faster than the Cube's chips were, and the Wii has more ram. But honestly, this is the realy reason the Wii games look like Cube games. Because the Wii has the same graphics chip the Cube had. In fact, I once looked at a spec sheet between the two chips, and aside from the Wii's being clocked faster and I think able to address more memory, there were ZERO differences in the graphical abilities. No new 3D abilities added that I could tell. I'm sure someone with more indepth knowledge about the hardware than myself can confirm this, but basically, the Wii is a supercharged Cube with a different control system. As such, there shouldn't be any issues with Cube game compatibility.

Shhh, don't let the rest of this forum hear you saying that. Everyone knows that the Wii runs purely on the concentrated hopes and dreams of the too-young, the too-elderly, and the too-uncoordinated. All this "Gamecube hardware" business is pure lies. ;)

My PAL Wii makes a real hash of playing my NTSC gamecube games. Sure, they load and all (thanks to freeloader) but there's a lot of vertical blocking on the picture, mainly noticeable in the backgrounds. My old PAL cube didn't have these problems. Guess I can hold on to that NTSC cube for a while longer.

My PAL Wii makes a real hash of playing my NTSC gamecube games. Sure, they load and all (thanks to freeloader) but there's a lot of vertical blocking on the picture, mainly noticeable in the backgrounds. My old PAL cube didn't have these problems. Guess I can hold on to that NTSC cube for a while longer.

a region free mod chip will solve that for you.