IGNORED

whats the best way to store carts

inextremis staple

i realize this has probably already been discussed but i couldnt find anything about it in the archieves so here it is again

what do you think is the best way to store carts

when i got my 2600 it came with a little thing to hold like 10 and a bunch of manuals

and right now my collection is just too big to stack up and i dont really want to put them into a shoe box unless i have to

i also remember having a tower for carts when i was a kid (much like cd towers you can buy today)

it held 40 or so and spun around but alas i cant find one of those anymore

any help would be greatly appreciated

people boo me for this, but I keep mine in milk crates. They fit pretty nicely and the holes keep dust from settling too much (of course I play them A LOT so there's not much chance of dust settling anyway). I've got 150 unique carts all in crates. The rest, boxes, manuals, variations, I just keep in a couple of bereau drawers since I don't have much of it.

Far as I know there is no "best" way. Just whatever works for you. Needless to say don't store them in the shower, or fireplace, or catbox. Beyond that its really up to you. :)

i have like paul says plastic containers under the bed.

2 long ones and 2 short ones for the atari 2600/5200/7800 games

i have a long wood container for the 8 bit carts ( was a 3 wine bottle storage thign) for as binders and all if you go to the card shop and ask about split platic 5 by 3 sheets its like a 8 by 10 split in the middle. works good for manuals. for overlays the plastic POG holders work good ( yep re found a use of POGS afterall. for as sytstems i got some in the basement in 33 Gallon Rubbermade containers plastic of course that works soso im not crazy about the Lack of space though. any one have a bright idea let me know.

Boxed systems are in my upstair closet lined in a row.my boxed carts are on 2 book cases

MY NES/SNES is sharing a wooden cabinet :) on top of it is my Odyssey2 and Channel F system

to the left of that is the cart orginizer and 1027 printer

in my closet also i got SX212atari modem my video pinball stand alone and 1020 atari printer

in my cabinet where the TV is housed is my Atar 5200 adapter for 2600 games boxed

2600 jr with 128 games built in boxed

XM301 atari modem

and driving paddles cx-20

also on top of the book cases i got a Arcadia 2001

on my radio i got the home brew games in an atari book where 2600 carts can be locked into it. on the top of taht cabinet next to my LEGO house is my old Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer sunnyvale style. nice..

on my kitchen table in my room (same room) i got the atari 800 in front of my Bright orange Panasonic 9 inch black and white TV. ( 8.00 at a thrift shop it screamed atari at me so i got it). only problem is in the corner i have a 410 disk drive,some trekball,touch tablet and other goodies laying in a pile were to put them i dont know

I keep all of the carts that I actually play in a wooden rack that was originally intended for CDs. Then I also bought some plastic storage drawers at Target. I got a tall one with 3 deep drawers and casters which I use to store duplicate or less-interesting (i.e. Star Ship) carts, extra controllers, and my "experimental" stuff (i.e. carts I have disassembled for various reasons). I also have 3 smaller plastic drawers that I use to keep my manuals, Intellivision controller overlays, and miscellaneous cleaning equipment (Q-tips, rubbing alcohol, "Oops!", etc.). Then I have a cheap Target bookshelf that I use to store all of my game boxes.

It's not my ideal set-up but it works well enough and keeps everything neatly in one area of the basement. (I also bought a dehumidifier... VERY important if your stuff's in the basement.)