IGNORED

Wii Online Gaming and DS Connectivity News

Bivotar

While not the most exciting title in the world, Nintendo.com had an article about Pokemon Battle Revolution that gives some idea of how Nintendo is doing online gaming and DS connectivity. Here are the highlights:

The first online Wii game in the Americas.

The first Pokémon game for Wii.

The first Wii game to wirelessly link to Nintendo DS.

The first Wii game that lets players use their Nintendo DS as a controller.

The online gaming uses the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, just like the DS games. That's pretty much as suspected. I have enjoyed getting my butt spanked, err.. I mean playing online with the DS.

The part that I was interested in was the DS connectivity. It sounds pretty cool to use the DS as a wireless controller. I wonder if that includes support for the touch screen? Very intriguing possibilities there!

Now just expand this to other titles besides Pokemon!!!!!

I'm still waiting on a DS Download Station channel. That would be awesome. I've never played a Pokemon game, but I have Pearl en route from the TRU Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, so maybe if I get into it I'll pick up Battle Revolution, too. Otherwise, Mario Strikers Charged will be my first Wii online game.

Well...I picked up Pokemon Battle Revolution from Best Buy last night. And here is how everything connects. Nintendo might actually have it right on for once.

The DS system works like this:

You can do battle modes where you and up to 4 other DS units actually connect to the Wii wirelessly. When this happens, you fight using the Pokemon from your DS Pearl or Diamond games. All the batlle action takes place on the big screen in what I must say is the most impressive Pokemon 3D graphics yet we have seen. And the DS units are used to control the commands. You use ONLY the bottom of the DS screens..so..the touch screen is what you use.

The other part of the DS connectivity is to transfer all of your pokemon stored on Pearl or Diamond onto the Wii. From there you then can create what are called Battle Passes. They are basically cards you create that have your party of whatever 6 pokemon you want that were transfered over to the Wii. The passes also contain your info like B-date...if you wish, a character portrait which upon first playing you're limited to what you can choose at first. And a default background image for the pass. You can create multiple passes and use them as you wish for the different battles.

The Wi-Fi...however actually has two modes to it..and it works essentially just like the DS modes. You have a friends code mode of course where you can register buddies via friends code and see if any are online to play against. But then just like the DS you also have a mode where you connect to Nintendo WFC and can battle online against anyone without the use of friend codes. The only problem with this, is that the online appears to be 2 player only online, and you have no idea who you will be up against until an opponent is found and their battle pass is shown. By then you are pretty much committed to battling. I so far haven't been able to beat any online oppenents because my Pokemon from Pearl are only about level 20 or so. Now the online modes do put all pokemon at the same level...Level 50 I believe. However, most of the opponents I seem to connect with have Lucario, and Kreygo, etc...and I basically have my tail handed to me. I'm lucky if I can take down just one of their pokemon to my 3. I did get really lucky once and take out 2 ..but ehh..I still sucked...hehe.

I will warn you now...that if you want to use your pokemon from the DS games in the standard one player matches...you will have to level them up on the DS first. Yeap...in what I really don't understand...your pokemon to not gain any level experience in Battle Reveloution battles. So if you want to keep leveling them up...and you will have to, it must be done still from your DS.

The rental battle passes that you can "borrow" in the game do have level 30 and 50 pokemon already..and apparently that is enough to win most of the matches as I understand it...but I still prefer to use my "Flaming Butt Monkey I call Jones" Monferno, over their default wimpy ordinary one...hehe.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-