IGNORED

Where to get IC's From?

SINGLE TOOTH

My 4-port RF switch fried on me. I would like to attempt to try and replace the problem IC which is all burned up.

I really have nothing to lose trying to repair the RF switch, so I would like to try. I cant find the proper IC online anywhere! I sent a bunch of quote requests out, but they all gave me the cold shoulder because I only need one, or they didn't have them.

Anyway, the IC is marked:

NEC C393C

Anyway to get these without blowing alot of cash? I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks, but not over $5.

Whats the function of the IC? You may have to find that type by a different Manufacturer, Digi-key is a great place to look if you know what type of IC it is.

http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/EN/PDF/T072/P3.html <-- Look under ICs/Microcontrollers you may find what your looking for, I doubt you'd pay more then $6 on that IC probly alot less.

Edited by EmOneGarand

Whats the function of the IC? You may have to find that type by a different Manufacturer, Digi-key is a great place to look if you know what type of IC it is.

http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/EN/PDF/T072/P3.html <-- Look under ICs/Microcontrollers you may find what your looking for, I doubt you'd pay more then $6 on that IC probly alot less.

Jameco electronics is another to check out. Though.. watch out for retailers who require minimum purchases.. I know several want you to spend $20-$40 minimum..

Digikey, Jameco, and Mouser are the places that you should check.

It's a good thing that you only need a standard chip, because they're not going to have any 6507s, RIOTs or TIAs.

I would also recommend that you remove it by cutting the chip pins and desoldering them one by one; clean out the holes with either wick or a Radio Shack hollow-tip desoldering iron; then install a socket.

Haven't ordered yet from these guys, but haven't found any mention of a minimum order.

If it is an LM393 equivalent, here's a bargain @ 5 for $1.00:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prod...p?number=G13293

That picture's fuzzy, but looks like maybe SMT form factor. Here's DIP form factor chips from the same place:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prod...p?number=G32124

Edited by BigO

Nice. Thanks guys. Yeah all these sites have a minimum order. Ill have to find a site that has other stuff I want until I order.

Ah, sorry. I missed that $10.00 minimum order. That's not bad, compared to a number of sites I run across with $25.00+ minimum orders.

Heck, I'd have a hard time NOT spending $10.00 at that site. :)

damnit, i didnt see that one wasnt a DIP. I dont think that order was cancellable either, so I guess Im stuck with it. Ill wait till it comes, and see if I can't cobble it in there before I order the other one. Im not sure what shipping was gonna be yet... :? :?

Thanks for pointing that out though.....

EDIT.

I checked the shipping and they charged $7.00! :? :sad: :o

Oh well, Ill be happy if the part works.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

damnit, i didnt see that one wasnt a DIP. I dont think that order was cancellable either, so I guess Im stuck with it. Ill wait till it comes, and see if I can't cobble it in there before I order the other one. Im not sure what shipping was gonna be yet... :? :?

Thanks for pointing that out though.....

EDIT.

I checked the shipping and they charged $7.00! :? :sad: :o

Oh well, Ill be happy if the part works.

geez, that IC couldn't have weighed more then a a couple grams or so, I just ordered 15 74HC244 microcontrollers from Jameco (after a big hassle with verifying my billing address :roll: ) and the shipping was about $6. They might be charging you so much for a single purchase though.

Edited by EmOneGarand

If it was my console I'd just mod the board so you don't need the dedicated switch box.

How would you do that? I thought the reason why Automatic RF boxes didn't work with the older systems because they didn't produce enough of a charge to trip it. I'm intruiged. :)

Edited by EmOneGarand

If it was my console I'd just mod the board so you don't need the dedicated switch box.

How would you do that? I thought the reason why Automatic RF boxes didn't work with the older systems because they didn't produce enough of a charge to trip it. I'm intruiged. :)

Well you don't use an auto-switch box. You just put a power jack on the console and use a standard manual switch box like the 2-port 5200s do. Here's a LINK to the mod instructions

I probably will wind up doing the mod. A nice member here sent me a working RF switch and some parts I needed for the Power Mod. For the $8 for the lousy IC, I could have bought another RF switch just about. They say they have no minimum order, but apparently they are ordering it direct from their supplier. Maybe thats why is cost so much. :spidey:

But, If I can get this RF switch working, that will be one more working Atari RF switch instead of one less. Also, I may leave one 5200 virgin. I do have one that has the asterik serial number, which I will probably mod.

Well you don't use an auto-switch box. You just put a power jack on the console and use a standard manual switch box like the 2-port 5200s do. Here's a LINK to the mod instructions

awesome, thanks!

I probably will wind up doing the mod. A nice member here sent me a working RF switch and some parts I needed for the Power Mod. For the $8 for the lousy IC, I could have bought another RF switch just about. They say they have no minimum order, but apparently they are ordering it direct from their supplier. Maybe thats why is cost so much. :spidey:

But, If I can get this RF switch working, that will be one more working Atari RF switch instead of one less. Also, I may leave one 5200 virgin. I do have one that has the asterik serial number, which I will probably mod.

saving a piece of history is always a good thing :)

geez, that IC couldn't have weighed more then a a couple grams or so, I just ordered 15 74HC244 microcontrollers from Jameco (after a big hassle with verifying my billing address :roll: ) and the shipping was about $6. They might be charging you so much for a single purchase though.

74244 is a bus buffer IC, I hope they send you the right stuff. :sad: