IGNORED

Wii Lynx?

karri

My little brother bought a Wii and I am absolutely amazed about how fun it is to play with motion sensitive controls.

So I got a Wii Nunchuck controller from our local grocery store to see if the Lynx games would be more fun with a motion sensitive controller. For some reason there is no socket for an external controller. I try to solder in a flat cable ribbon connector and make some electronic glue for making the connection. Keep tuned...

--

Karri

Can you even do something like this and why would you want to?Just wondering.

I believe I can do it. There are some games where proportional control would be nice. The Atari Lynx stick is an on/off kind of device. With an analog device I could support smoother control. A simple scheme like:

100% = 1 1 1 1

75% = 1 1 0 1

50% = 1 0 1 0

25% = 0 0 1 0

0% = 0 0 0 0

The joypad rate could be the same as the frame rate. With a control like this driving a car or flying a plane could be easier. After I get the joypad working I might try to see how a 3-axis device could be mapped. Perhaps it is just silly, who knows...

But it might be fun to play Pong by moving your whole hand instead of just your fingers.

--

Karri

uh? your trying to hook up a Wii-nunchuck to a Lynx? Wouldn't the program of the game need to be altered in order for it to recognize something like that or are there Wii virtual console Lynx games that I missed hearing about?

No, I need some electronic glue for translating everything to a format the Lynx will understand. Actually I try to do it with an Atmel AVR single chip controller called mega16. It can read in the WII protocol and it has plenty of data pins that I can use for controlling the Lynx joypad and buttons.

The games are the same you have now. But to play you just tilt your wrist instead of using the joypad.

This project really makes no sense. I just do it for curiosity.

--

Karri

uh? your trying to hook up a Wii-nunchuck to a Lynx? Wouldn't the program of the game need to be altered in order for it to recognize something like that or are there Wii virtual console Lynx games that I missed hearing about?

No, I need some electronic glue for translating everything to a format the Lynx will understand. Actually I try to do it with an Atmel AVR single chip controller called mega16. It can read in the WII protocol and it has plenty of data pins that I can use for controlling the Lynx joypad and buttons.

The games are the same you have now. But to play you just tilt your wrist instead of using the joypad.

This project really makes no sense. I just do it for curiosity.

--

Karri

very interesting buddy,good luck :cool:

It looks like you will translate the accelerometer into 5 directions (Up, Down, Left,, Right, None).

The Lynx will recognize 9 directions.

To get the degrees in between you can oscillate between values up to the input cycle rate.

If you can get a small enough translator, you can incorporate the accelerometer into the Lynx case itself!

Here are a few photos os the project:

post-2099-1183202600_thumb.jpg

Add an external joystick port into the Lynx. I decided to use the 2600 joystick pinout.

post-2099-1183202716_thumb.jpg

Add an Atmel mega16 controller between the Atari Lynx external joystick port and the Nunchuck Wii controller.

The flat cable connector in the controller is for programming the controller chip.

Now that hardware is ready. It took around an hour to do it. I wonder how long the software will take?

--

Karri

It looks like you will translate the accelerometer into 5 directions (Up, Down, Left,, Right, None).

The Lynx will recognize 9 directions.

To get the degrees in between you can oscillate between values up to the input cycle rate.

If you can get a small enough translator, you can incorporate the accelerometer into the Lynx case itself!

I am not familiar with accelerometers but the Wii can also detect turning the controller in your hand. I checked the data sheet of the accelerometer and it will output a voltage in x, y and z direction that is relative to the acceleration of the device.

To translate acceleration to velocity you need to integrate the input over time. And to get velocity to distance you need to integrate it again over time.

Now it depends on the application what I want to have. In a pong-game I want the paddle to follow my arm (distance). In a driving game I turn the wheel (angular velocity). In Asteroids I deal with acceleration directly. So this project is really a small toy to explore mechanics (physics) in a game. By applying the correct physics model I may create some very enjoyable controls for existing Lynx games.

The reason I don't want to put the controller inside the Lynx is that I want to use the Nunchuck like it is used in a Wii.

--

Karri

Messing around with old hardware is a bit difficult sometimes. I lost half of the LCD, the sound and the power connector. So it took me more than an hour to fix all the bugs I caused and get it assembled again. So the software has to wait for another day.

I also took away the scratched plastic in from of the screen. The picture is now much better with the filter pack behind the LCD and no plastic in front of the LCD.

post-2099-1183223112_thumb.jpg

And at the behind is the joystick port.

post-2099-1183223153_thumb.jpg

The cart is a devflash cart for running all kind of experimental software.

So now my Lynx is is perfect shape again and waiting for my next few hours off to make the Nunchuck driver to the Atmel chip.

--

Karri

So you think that the mega16 will be fast enough? I recently used a Mega128 as the brain of a multi-system controller, but even at 16MHz, it still had problems with keeping up. You don't think that a PLD might be a bit more appropriate? Just wondering, that's all (I DO love the Atmega16, it just has a different part in my heart. :) )

So you think that the mega16 will be fast enough? I recently used a Mega128 as the brain of a multi-system controller, but even at 16MHz, it still had problems with keeping up. You don't think that a PLD might be a bit more appropriate? Just wondering, that's all (I DO love the Atmega16, it just has a different part in my heart. :) )

The controller does not have much to do. It justs need to do a few additions and set bits up and down. But if it is too slow I just add some hardware chips to speed it up.

I have recently controlled 10 us scanlines in a video system with Atmega16 plus some external latches to keep it in sync. So it is fast enough for me. Besides I had one hanging around in my drawer.

But thanks for the PLD idea.

--

Karri

• 2 years later...
So I'm curious, how did this turn out?

One of my unfinished projects :(

All hardware is done but the software is still 20% written. I can get the Atmel to blink a led.

The joystick port on the back of the Lynx works well. I can connect any Atari joystick there.

--

Karri

So I'm curious, how did this turn out?

One of my unfinished projects :(

All hardware is done but the software is still 20% written. I can get the Atmel to blink a led.

The joystick port on the back of the Lynx works well. I can connect any Atari joystick there.

--

Karri

Soldering a joystick port to the Lynx was one of the first things I did on one of my projects. My first real sodering experience.

I didn't do so well. lol But in the end it did work.

I have to take apart the entire project and redo it though. I have to get things to fit properly. May need to rethink a few things.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny... I just came across my trusty Mega16 and other Micro stuff today when I was doing some cleaning. I think the last time I even touched that stuff was back around the time I made my post further back! :)

Edited by Atariman