IGNORED

Rumor: Beautiful Katamari on Wii, not PS3

AtariJr

Well this is interesting if true. We'll see soon I guess. Still I think it's odd , if this is true, that they waited this long to make this game for the Wii. I guess Namco was skeptical enough to not make Katamari for the Wii, but not Soul Calibur Legends :ponder:

"June 29, 2007 - Namco Bandai revealed earlier this year that it was developing the next-generation Katamari Damacy sequel, Beautiful Katamari, for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Up until recently, the developer continued to work on both versions of the project. However, sources close to Namco Bandai tell IGN that the studio ran into some trouble with the port of the game to PlayStation 3 and these issues, coupled with the stalled sales of the system, have led to the project's quiet cancellation. Looking to better-than-expected sales of Wii, the company has, say insiders, re-shifted resources to ready a Wii build of Beautiful Katamari instead. Given that the title cannot be ported from Xbox 360, the game is being re-concepted for Wii.

This is not the first time Katamari has been rumored for Wii. In early 2007, reports of Katamari for Wii began to surface. However, development sources indicated at the time that Namco was not thrilled about the prospect about moving forward with the project, mostly because it was not convinced that Wii would be a success. The game's original creator has in the past been critical of Nintendo's platform, too.

We contacted Namco Bandai for comment, but a spokesperson for the company did not return our inquires in time for the publishing of this article.

As always, until we get an official confirmation from the company, this story should be considered rumor. However, when asked, our well-placed sources said the information was "100 percent reliable.""

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more.

While I understand wanting to bring it to the wii.. I don't see why they need to cancel the PS3 version. Mind you the graphics weren't a reason to like the game... the ps2 version is fine and maybe they don't feel a need to make a ps3 version.

Who knows... just glad that there's a possibility of another Wii title in development!

While I understand wanting to bring it to the wii.. I don't see why they need to cancel the PS3 version. Mind you the graphics weren't a reason to like the game... the ps2 version is fine and maybe they don't feel a need to make a ps3 version.

Who knows... just glad that there's a possibility of another Wii title in development!

well it says they had trouble porting it over from the 360 version... that and the ps3 hardware sales are lower than expected. companies dont like pouring money into games that wont wield back a nice return profit.

In the end, this is another blow for PS3.

Another game you can get on the 360 and Wii that you can't get for the PS3.

Even worse, a game that used to be a Sony exclusive.

It's very telling that they say it is 'too hard to port it from the 360 to the PS3', but they will

rework the game from the ground up to get it onto the Wii.

To put it simply, the will...

1. Create the game for the 360.

2. Completely rebuild it for the Wii.

3. Pretend the PS3 doesn't exist.

wow.

Edited by therealred5

Does anyone even care about the Katamari series anymore? It was cute (if odd) for one game, but it had really (and I mean really!) run out of steam in the second game. I can't even imagine what they'd fill a third game with. I suppose it might be fun with the Wii controller, but it would make a crappy PS3 or 360 game.

Tempest

Well..Matt, as a fellow Katamari series lover here. I can tell you that the second game is far more fun to play than the first one is to me now. I like the larger variety of the levels themselves, The stuff you can pick up, and the fact that is doesn't really have a true ending. I don't know what they can add to the series...but in my opinion...they could just call it Katamari 3 and fill it with a bunch of levels we haven't seen before...perhaps alien worlds...or more underwater and odd stuff like that type levels. They can even keep the same simple goals of just get to X amount in size before X amount of time runs out and as long as the graphics still look cubic in nature and we have that odd as hell music...I would still be in line on release day to get a copy. For me...the formula is fine where it is at...we just need more and more of it.

Well..Matt, as a fellow Katamari series lover here. I can tell you that the second game is far more fun to play than the first one is to me now. I like the larger variety of the levels themselves, The stuff you can pick up, and the fact that is doesn't really have a true ending. I don't know what they can add to the series...but in my opinion...they could just call it Katamari 3 and fill it with a bunch of levels we haven't seen before...perhaps alien worlds...or more underwater and odd stuff like that type levels. They can even keep the same simple goals of just get to X amount in size before X amount of time runs out and as long as the graphics still look cubic in nature and we have that odd as hell music...I would still be in line on release day to get a copy. For me...the formula is fine where it is at...we just need more and more of it.

I guess that was my problem with the game. It was just the same thing over and over again. It was fun an relaxing at first, but after awhile I just grew bored with it and stopped playing. As you mentioned, not having a true ending didn't help endear itself to me either. Still, with the Wii controller it might be fun again.

Tempest

I am a huge fan of the series too.

I even bought the PSP version and loved it.

I love the new songs almost as much as I love the game itself.

There are always just enough new tweeks to keep it interesting.

(Like rolling up the entire universe for instance.)

I have yet to be bored by a Katamari game and I can't wait for Beautiful Katamari.

I'm sure we are not alone.

In the end, this is another blow for PS3.

Another game you can get on the 360 and Wii that you can't get for the PS3.

Even worse, a game that used to be a Sony exclusive.

It's very telling that they say it is 'too hard to port it from the 360 to the PS3', but they will

rework the game from the ground up to get it onto the Wii.

To put it simply, the will...

1. Create the game for the 360.

2. Completely rebuild it for the Wii.

3. Pretend the PS3 doesn't exist.

wow.

you know i never saw it like that.. and your right, its so obvious now. why can they re-do the whole game for the wii but cant invest some money to make the ps3 PORT ... i guess its just theyre excuse to not put a game on a system they dont think will sell their game. I also think its odd that its a port of the 360 version, and not the other way around. Concidering it sounds like in the article the dev is a large sony fan, wouldnt it make sense to make it on the ps3 and port it to the 360?

It is simple economics. A developer is going to wait it out and not immediately develope games on systems they aren't sure will sell enough copies to warrant the expense of making the game for that system. They were likely planning on porting the 360 version to the PS3 as that would have had less developement costs to make it happen.

What I find funny about all of this..is that the Katamari series might just make a full circle. I believe CPUWIZ states after the first Katamari came out that the game originally was developed on the Cube and then ported to the PS2. Or the concept was realized on the Cube but then developed and released as a PS2 game instead? Anyway, here we are...if that is true...then Katamari has rolled up itself and come back to Nintendo. I'm all for a Wii build and think the remote and nunchuck would work just fine for this. You could simply hold the Wii mote like a baton and the nunchuck in the other and there you go...instant tank like control. Or they could make it so you just tilt the two controls in the direction you need to roll the katamari ball. Graphically the Katamari series was never on the cutting edge and the cubism it was done in was very much a HUGE part of the creativeness and uniqueness of the game. The concept, ease of play, and the music is what has always drawn me to the Katamari series. I still like the soundtrack on the first game more though.

you know i never saw it like that.. and your right, its so obvious now. why can they re-do the whole game for the wii but cant invest some money to make the ps3 PORT ... i guess its just theyre excuse to not put a game on a system they dont think will sell their game. I also think its odd that its a port of the 360 version, and not the other way around. Concidering it sounds like in the article the dev is a large sony fan, wouldnt it make sense to make it on the ps3 and port it to the 360?

Have you seen the numbers? In Japan, the Wii outsold the PS3 by 6 to 1 last month.

And it outsold the 360 by 15 to 1, but that's just Japan being a bunch of Xbox hayturz. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
This seems like a no brainer Wii game. Maybe one of the best (possibly one of the few) good third party innovatibe ideas for the system. I hope it makes it to the Wii.

Nights and Katamari combined with all of the Nintendo stuff coming out this year would kick much butt.

Cousin Vinnie

yea it really would.. im having a hard time deciding which ones ill be purchasing first. btw, your avatar is awesome.

It is simple economics. A developer is going to wait it out and not immediately develope games on systems they aren't sure will sell enough copies to warrant the expense of making the game for that system. They were likely planning on porting the 360 version to the PS3 as that would have had less developement costs to make it happen.

Thing is, the PS3 version already exists, making this report sound like total bullshit. Namco had a "gamers day" in Japan about a month ago and many Japanese journalists saw the PS3 version of the game running. It was reported on pretty widely there.

The only reason why this game is not coming to PS3 at this point is because MS paid for an exclusive. No doubt it is a timed exclusive; Namco's not going to just sit on an 80% finished PS3 port - it would cost them more to do that than to just finish it and release it. They've already put the lions share of the resources they need into it.

The game could still come to Wii. But it's coming to the PS3 too. It wouldn't surprise me if both the Wii and PS3 versions are released at the same time, the day the MS exclusivity deal runs out.

Thing is, the PS3 version already exists, making this report sound like total bullshit. Namco had a "gamers day" in Japan about a month ago and many Japanese journalists saw the PS3 version of the game running. It was reported on pretty widely there.

The only reason why this game is not coming to PS3 at this point is because MS paid for an exclusive. No doubt it is a timed exclusive; Namco's not going to just sit on an 80% finished PS3 port - it would cost them more to do that than to just finish it and release it. They've already put the lions share of the resources they need into it.

The game could still come to Wii. But it's coming to the PS3 too. It wouldn't surprise me if both the Wii and PS3 versions are released at the same time, the day the MS exclusivity deal runs out.

just because the game was shown a month ago doesnt mean it wont be canned. and paying for "exclusive" status and giving it to wii as well, ... wouldnt make it an exclusive. joystiq's does it's homework, and their sources they use have show us many things early, like the neo geo being on the VC for one, and mario kart for wii as another, so i dont have an excuse not to give this story some credit. and namco isnt going to sit on an 80% finished port? please. we've all seen games far more complete get canned before, let's not kid ourselves. if they see that there is roughly 20% of time, resources, and money they can devote into making the wii version or making the 360 version better if they make more money that way, they will do it. in your defense we should have all played starfox 2 for the snes years ago because it was mostly complete.... or one of the umpteen ports to gamecube that were made for the other systems but were canned on the gamecube because the gamecube wasnt selling well.

just because the game was shown a month ago doesnt mean it wont be canned.

The report said they "ran into trouble" with the PS3 port. What kind of trouble if a near-complete game was already shown to the Japanese press?

and paying for "exclusive" status and giving it to wii as well, ... wouldnt make it an exclusive.

Welcome to the world of modern gaming and "timed exclusives". Nothing is exclusive forever unless the publisher wants it to be.

joystiq's does it's homework,

Joystiq is a site that has been around approximately 2 years. And like any site, they are right sometimes and wrong other times. For example, they predicted a pre-E3 price drop for the Xbox 360.

if they see that there is roughly 20% of time, resources, and money they can devote into making the wii version or making the 360 version better if they make more money that way, they will do it.

You're still not getting the reason why the game is 360 "exclusive" in the first place. MS paid for it to be. They paid more to keep it off the PS3 than Namco determined they would have made by releasing it on the PS3. That's the *only* reason it's an MS exclusive. This has been reported all over the place, including but not limited to Joystiq.

Namco originally announced the game for Xbox 360 and PS3, and until about a month ago they were showing both versions. All that's changed is MS paid them some money not to release the PS3 version.

I was actually giving this report more credence than it probably deserves by saying a Wii version could still come. Namco never said anything about a Wii version despite the game nearing its release date; they only ever announced PS3 and Xbox 360 and they only shelved the PS3 because MS threw them a bunch of money. When that deal expires, we're back to the same situation we had a month ago. All that will have changed is the PS3 (and Wii) will be in more homes by then.

Edited by spacecadet