A question I must ask you is

where have you been? In a cave?

This my friend, was announced over

a week ago. Slashdot and various

business sites reported the news.

The Freon is a logic step for the XBOX

in the next few years. It will help to bring

the technology into even more homes.

Actually, I haven't been in the gaming world for a few days now. I was out hunting down I-Spy... I got it tho... LOL

Glad to hear you found one of

the rarest titles for the American

Dreamcast. The games rarity can

probably be directly attributed to its

terribly complicated gameplay. I

hope you were thrilled with your find.

Hopefully the Xbox will just die and go away and you guys can stop padding Bill Gates' wallet.

My ill informed friend the XBOX

is not going to die or go away

anytime soon. Nintendo will whither

away before that happens. And then

where will you get your Pokemon fix?

Don't mind Adrian, he's just in denial right now.

I'd expect the "new" Xbox to pretty much flop, just like Ultimate TV did. M$ just hasn't had much luck in the consumer appliance business.

I think Micrsoft lost 750 mill on the XBOX.  But anyway, I am happy to own the I-Spy game! Still shrink warped too!

Perhaps yours is a manhandled second

hand copy, shrinkwrapped by the dishonest

Gamestop employees to appear brand new!

Do tell, if the game is truly new and

sealed, what does the yellow sticker on the

shrinkwrap say?

A $750million loss was expected by MICROSOFT,

my novice friend. Read the book "Opening

The XBOX" to get a sense of the business

plan and numbers involved in launching the

almighty box. Each year, the hardware losses decrease as components are made less expensive and manufacturing efficiencies occur.

Nintendo and Sony suffer similar losses. They manage to break even in the early years with the sale of software. MICROSOFT needs an average of 3 games sold per box to break even. Check Nintendo and Sony's numbers to see a similar if not worse performance.

Let us not forget that MICROSOFT is committed to investing $2 billion in the XBOX, a number far more than the entire Nintendo corporation is worth!

I'd have to agree with Adrian. Microsoft is in this for the long haul, as with everything they do, and Bill Gates knew full well the volatility of the console industry and certainly didn't miss even the last ten years and the fodder left behind by failed consoles and companies as well as the survivors and winners. He most certainly knew to establish the XBOX, or any consumer set top device, that tens and hundreds of millions would have to be sunk into it in order to succeed. A console must be backed at all costs to break into the market and succeed. Mass market at cheap prices with superior hardware AND software is required. Bye the way, has anyone noticed the new deal on the XBOX at $149 with the purchase of a game (something you'll do anyway) and the model-S controller (if your a gamer a second controller is also a natural). :P

P.S.-I still hate Microsoft. :twisted:

From a gamers perpective (me, me!!) I could care less if a company goes bankrupt, seriously. All a gamer cares about is whether games are continuing to be made for their favorite console. I think that's why Playstation 2 was such a great hit. Gamers knew that manufacturers were NOT going to abandon the making of games for the Playstation 1. Is this simplistic? I hope so, because that's all that matters to me.

From a gamers point of view, how many total games does the XBOX have? How about the Game Cube? Playstation 2?

Which of these will go the way of Dreamcast, and die off completely? I know there are "home brew" games being made for Dreamcast, but somehow that isn't the same as officially released ones.

I really wish that the video game industry would just stop making better and better systems, and continue to focus on building libraries for their existing consoles. But that's not the way it works in the business world I guess.

I will eventually pick up an XBOX, a Dreamcast, etc. etc., for collecting sake. But I'm not through with Atari stuff yet. I'm starting at the bottom, and working upwards. A nice goal might be to have all the MAJOR systems ever made and maybe 10 games for each. I can't think of any obscure systems, maybe because they are obscure.

And why the continued hatred towards Bill Gates? To a gamer who cares? Is the XBOX fun to play games on? Or is it not?

If it is fun, why?

If you had an XBOX hooked into a TV, and knew nothing about Bill Gates, or Microsoft, or any of it-would you like the system or would you hate it?

I suspect that you'd like the technology, and at least some of the games would be fun. Does the controller have 9 trillion buttons? You don't like that? Well, from a gamer's point of view, that IS a big deal. So maybe there's a different one you could use.

Monopolies are part of capitalism, and laws are made by those in power. Money=power. Nuff said.

Monopolies are part of capitalism, and laws are made by those in power. Money=power. Nuff said.

Actually, monopolies are created by very successful people working within capitalism. However, since monopolies don't have to play by capitalism's primary rule, competition, they operate somewhat outside of capitalism.

I resent that corporations with money can get laws passed and regulations made that most people would disagree with, even in a democracy. Maybe when Hollywood starts telling these people what they can and cannot do with their home computers they'll stop being apathetic about it (most are, anyway, think Mr & Mrs Average; people reading this are likely not so apathetic on the issue, if apathetic at all).

So that is why I hate Microsoft. But that might not stop me from buying an X Box.

MS makes something like $10 +/-$5 per game. They were losing money on each console sold before they dropped the price, so now they're losing $100 more. So, I wouldn't mind buying an X Box. I'll wait till I know I can run Linux on it and probably won't buy any games for it.

Meanwhile, Sony and Nintendo are making a small profit on each console, even after the lateset price drop. They used enough proprietary hardware in their consoles that they can redesign them for cheaper manufacturing. There are fewer components in a PS2 bought now as compared to one bought a year ago. MS will have quite a bit of trouble getting Intel and NVidia to put the CPU and GPU on the same chip, so the cost of manufacturing an X Box isn't declining as fast as the cost for the PS2 and GC.

Of course, MS has $40 billion plus in cash, so losing all this money isn't really going to hurt them much.