IGNORED

Got my BRAND NEW LYNX I from Best Electronics today!

jimid2

Man, this was so cool! :love: I got a tag in my mailbox saying I had a parcel to pick up, went down to the post office and grabbed it. The box was big - as big as I expected but it surprised my wife... I got it home and pulled an original, sealed Lynx I box set out of the foam peanuts!! It was indescribably cool to pull the plastic seal off and open the box for the first time! I removed the Lynx from the packaging and pulled off the plastic cover over the screen, just like I was back in 1989 - only this time I took pics! (ya, I'm that nerd-core :roll: ) Then I dropped in six NiMHs, slotted in the included California Games cart and booted up! Woah! My wife said I was grinning like a fool, and I guess I was... Anyway, it was a great experience - I'm thrilled to have a brand new Lynx I to call my own; it was definitely worth it. And the guys at Best Electronics were great, very helpful - they took the time to answer all my piddley nerd-detail questions on the phone, and the shipping was reasonable and fast even all the way to Ottawa from California.

I did have to cut a small square of cellophane to put over the foam rubber on the battery compartment door - even sealed and unused it had started to deteriorate after 18 years on the warehouse shelf. I've seen them a lot worse though on used machines - the battery compartment on my other Lynx I looks like the Exxon Valdez sailed through it :-o Other than that, this is a spanking new Lynx and it's a blast to go back in time like this...

I picked up a brand-new never used Lynx II a few months back from the Goat Store and just like jimid2 it was like i was thrown back in time.I was pretty excited when it arrived at my house and my wife was laughing at me saying i was like a little kid at Christmas.I was smiling ear to ear when i opened that box.Congrats on the purchase. :)

Very nice!

Where's the pics? :?:

Well, since you ask...

lynx1.jpg

lynx2.jpg

Here it is, liberated from an overabundance of Styrofoam peanuts, signed, sealed and delivered... Mostly sealed!

lynx3.jpg

lynx4.jpg

...opened for the first time since 1989!

lynx6.jpg

The serial number matches that on the box... and don't forget that the "Warranty will be Null and Void if this label is damaged or removed."

lynx5.jpg

...removing the screen protector... I was afraid it might have dried out and become brittle after all these years, but it came off smoothly without leaving undue residue on the Lynx.

lynx7.jpg

...and here we are booting up it's first game - appropriately, the very copy of California Games it's shared a box with for the last 18 years... :)

Very nice. I was thinking of getting a new one sometime just for the experience and just to have a really nice one. :)

Ya, I was really happy to find Best Electronics after buying three used Lynxes on Ebay - two Lynx IIs, one of which was reasonably described and one that doesn't work at all (the clip on the motherboard that holds the video ribbon cable is broken, so that's that!), and a Lynx I that suffers from the three-band lighting issue and came in an "original box" that looks like it's been chewed on by rats (neither issue was described in the auction). After someone from around here pointed me towards Best, I figured I'd pony up an extra $30 or so and buy a brand new one than continue to play Ebay roulette...

wow fantastic! id like to find a new sealed lynx at some point, but just a quick question. Is that a bundle like the batman + lynx II console or did every lynx I come with California games and a comlynx?

Well, I could be wrong, but I thought that this was the "original" Lynx bundle - the way it was first shipped and sold. I bought a Lynx from the very first batch to arrive in my town back in '89, and this was the package I bought, which was why I wanted to get another one now... A little later they offered a package in a similar but smaller box that was just the Lynx and maybe California Games, I think, but there was no AC adapter or Comlynx cable (or something like that, but my memory's hazy... but I'm sure the box it came in was smaller)...

Edited by jimid2

I bought my only lynx, an used lynx II (+rampart) for 25$ in february this year (pretty good condition, just a little rusty on the battery conectors, and some strange not-noticeable pixels: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=72092. Only Rampart had its original box and manual)... But I bought a mint unopened Chips Challenge game for 10$ too (CC was the only reason I bought a Lynx at all).

Edited by per

Not only is Best Electronics the greatest, but who doesn't get all excited when they get a box in the mail all taped up with that nifty Atari tape. (For those who don't know, the tape used to seal the boxes from Best has the Atari fuji and "Atari" all over it). (And you thought that YOU were a nerd! :) )

does Best Electronics ship to the UK and if so wat are their carriage charges like ?

i would consider getting 1 if shipping is reasonable.

i have 2 lynx`s currently both in decent working condition but id love to get my hands on a brand new unit..

What can you do whit it if it is in the box all the time? If you don't open the box, it takes some space and it not usefull for anything.

Don't you know that you are supposed to put it all in a huge glass display case, place burning candles all around it, bow down before the case and pray to the Atari gods? I thought everybody knew that. Open a box and actually play with what is inside? Are you insane?!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

What NiMH batteries are you using? I've tried using a variety of NiMH rechargeables in my Lynx I, but the unit won't power on. I figured that it was the difference in voltage levels between rechargeables and "regular" AA batteries....I have to use alkalines or the power supply on mine. :(

What NiMH batteries are you using? I've tried using a variety of NiMH rechargeables in my Lynx I, but the unit won't power on. I figured that it was the difference in voltage levels between rechargeables and "regular" AA batteries....I have to use alkalines or the power supply on mine. :(

I use Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeables, but I have noticed that with some rechargeable batteries I have (including some DigiPower ones), the positive pole isn't long enough to make firm contact with the connector in the battery bay, so I can't use them at the positive end of the three battery chain in the Lynx I or in the Lynx II.

Edited by jimid2