IGNORED

IYO, which one is the most overrated Lynx game?

Damon Plus

Lynx fans say that most of the Lynx's library is good, and I'm not going to disagree. There are a few stinkers, but most games range from mediocre to great. Of course, there are some games that get a lot of love, but do you think it is totally undeserved. Which games do you think people overrate?

Edited by Damon Plus

Chips Challenge i feel is completely over rated. It's one of those games you either like or hate, and in my opinion, it's the type of game that you already have to be a fan of, for me, i am not a fan of this type of game, so it ranks very low in my opinion.

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of disagreement here, but... BattleWheels. I agree it's a good game, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. After reading so many glowing reviews, when I finally obtained a copy I felt a bit underwhelmed.

It's a ComLynx game, right? I imagine if you are playing against others it would be great, but playing it solo is just - okay.

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of disagreement here, but... BattleWheels.

Undeniably, BW is the most fun as a multiplayer game, but still this game is great IMO. You can customize your car if you're into that, or you can jump right in with a prebuilt car. And if you want a real challenge, try going on foot against your opponents! There's just so much done well in this game.

Is it one I would sit and play solo for hours? Probably not. But I wouldn't call BW overrated.

Klax is at the top of the TAT list...and the top of my overrated list! I just don't have a liking for arcade/puzzle type games. Nice job on the sounds and colors, however.

Blue Lightning would have to be next. I would rate it higher if you didn't have to start the level all over after crashing.

Third is Stun Runner. Great graphics/sound, and I have to have it since it's an old dorm game, but I find it way too hard. I've only completed level 3 once in my entire life. (Then of course I let someone else play on my Lynx for the first time and they breeze through it on the first try.)

Shadow of the Beast. It sure has great graphics on the Lynx but the collision detection and the difficulty usually drives me nuts when I play it. (which only happens once a year in a "c'mon-you-can-finally-beat-it" kind of mood. Usually resulting in pure frustration ;) )

Edited by Chefsessel

I'm going to second Battlewheels. It's great that they give you all the options to customize your car and get out on foot but it's a bad game for a portable game system with a small screen. There's just way too much going on screen and it gets all super-blocky and pixellated. I can't tell what's going on a lot of the time or which way I'm facing or what I'm even looking at. It would've been much more suited to a home system. Games that work well on handhelds are simpler like Pac Man and Tetris. BW was way too ambitious for the platform it was on.

By the way, Stun Runner will remain firmly on my overrated list. I admit, it's only because I truly suck at it. I tried to stay near the middle and now I can't even pass the SECOND level. The sad thing about that is, this level can be passed by simply not touching the controls at all. Which means my stuffed animals can play this game better than I can.

now I can't even pass the SECOND level. The sad thing about that is, this level can be passed by simply not touching the controls at all.

LOL, you must REALLY be bad. I just got to level 4 simply by hitting the fire button over and over while not touching the controls. I suspect I would have passed level 4 if my vehicle hadn't gotten stuck against an outside wall. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wait, I forgot, you do have to shoot things on the 2nd level if you don't use the D-pad...I seem to remember that if you don't do anything, you'll end up just short of the finish line. Which would STILL be farther than I got. You're right, I am really bad. :P

<off-topic>

To insert a tidbit on my favorite game show, not moving was also the trick to winning on Tunnel Hunt (an eerily similar-looking game, though much older) on Starcade. You had to score 3,808 in 30 seconds, and you could usually do it just by firing at the right time. If you moved the joystick at all, it was pretty much impossible to beat the score. Really mean.

Another near no-mover: on the light cycles on the fourth level of the arcade game Tron, hold the joystick to the left, no trigger, and the enemy cycles will self-destruct.