IGNORED

Wii can't read scratched discs?

bdog_147

Hello All...

This morning I rented sonic secret rings as I really wanted to try that game out, but my wii is unable to read the disc due to scratches. Sonic shows up in the disc menu i click on that and then start. Screen goes black for a bit then error message..

"Game disc not able to be read please consult wii operations manual" or something to that effect.

I cleaned the disc off a few times there was no dirt or anything just the scratches....tried a few more times to get it to work but nope keeps saying unable to read disc...

I tried my copies of wii sports and exitetruck and those booted up fine so I don't think there is anything wrong with my console (unless the problem is it can't read scuffed up discs....).

I took it back to BB and could have exchanged it for a diffrent copy that had little scratches (nothing like the copy i rented) and some fingerprints on this one. I didn't feel like giving it a try....i would have hated having to go back yet again if this copy didn't work either...(I exchanged it for xbox family guy game)

Now, i have rented games for xbox and ps2 that were in far worse shape then the sonic game and they played flawlessly. So, has anyone had problems with thier wii not reading discs?

Iv'e included a pic of the sonic disc...you really had to hold it up to the light to really see the scratches. Doesn't look too bad, I dunno....

post-12069-1183934750_thumb.jpg

Well, at least we know where the secret rings are...

Seriously, why are you scratching up your discs to high heaven like that? Of COURSE they're not going to run if you've scrubbed off half the data!

Then again, the GameCube was always pretty good at reading discs regardless of their condition... if it wasn't snapped in half, chances are the 'Cube could play it just fine. My guess is that there was a coating under the GameCube discs that the Wii discs lack, or the GameCube had a stronger laser.

JR

Well, at least we know where the secret rings are...

ROTFL!

Seriously, why are you scratching up your discs to high heaven like that? Of COURSE they're not going to run if you've scrubbed off half the data!

Then again, the GameCube was always pretty good at reading discs regardless of their condition... if it wasn't snapped in half, chances are the 'Cube could play it just fine. My guess is that there was a coating under the GameCube discs that the Wii discs lack, or the GameCube had a stronger laser.

JR

It's not me scratching the discs. It's A rental. Other people have wrecked the discs. Why is it so hard for people to take care of stuff?

I was also thinking that maybe the wii laser is weaker as well. Not sure on that.

Edited by bdog_147

Yea, and your Wii Sports disk will be unreadable too soon. That cardboard case scratches it, and I had the same read errors on my disk.. except mine wouldn't work only half the time. I have a white case that a made a custom cover for it and store my new disk that Nintendo shipped me for free in there. So yes, I can vouch that wii isn't the greatest at reading scratched games. Then again, I don't have any disks normally that wouldn't be played by a Dreamcast, so I don't really have to worry about systems reading disks. just get your money back on the rental. sonic is a good game, I don't think you should pass on playing it.

Yeah, I noticed long ago that my wii sports disc was getting some scratches on it from that cardboard thing I since put that disc in a cd case. No cover for it so it looks boring. Oh well.

I'm considering just buying the sonic game. It sounds like a fun game from what people have said here about it. I just don't know if I should plunk down the 59.99+ for it now or wait until it's a bit cheaper (under 30 bucks?).

Edited by bdog_147

Yeah, I noticed long ago that my wii sports disc was getting some scratches on it from that cardboard thing I since put that disc in a cd case. No cover for it so it looks boring. Oh well.

just call nintendo.. they are WELL aware of the problem, and will ship you a white wii case for free... just make a print out of the many wii sports tall case mock ups on the net if you can't make your own.. kaboom... all set, and its not boring.

I'm considering just buying the sonic game. It sounds like a fun game from what people have said here about it. I just don't know if I should plunk down the 59.99+ for it now or wait until it's a bit cheaper (under 30 bucks?).

Don't buy it for $60... I've seen it at a few stores for $44.99 (EB, Toys R Us... maybe others)

Don't buy it for $60... I've seen it at a few stores for $44.99 (EB, Toys R Us... maybe others)

59? where the hell do you live? all wii games are 49 or less.

A quick glance at the sidebar answers that. Canada.

A quick glance at the sidebar answers that. Canada.

ah, didnt see that. i second getting the game btw, really enjoyed it.

opps. i saw sonic at hmv for 49.99 recently. My mistake. Most wii games in canada are 59.99 however.

whats the Canadian dollar compair to the US dollar? in short, are you paying more than us, the same, or less?

I also had similar problems with my Wii Console, its very similar to the DRE errors, but its only happens when a disc is damaged.

I actually found a great tech support site that had some great suggestion about the Wii console you might find information there as well.

this is the page for Wii Support

Good luck

Canada pays more. Always has. :x And if you thought 59.99 for a wii game was a bit much, I used to pay 90$ for ps2 games from 2001-2004.... :x

It's more. The Canadian dollar is now worth 98 cents American. Predictions have it by September that it will be dollar for dollar par. It's been a long time sense the CDN was worth more than the USD and I think by the end of the year it's gonna happen. Won't last long though cause as soon as the USA has a new president I see the dollar going back up to $1.20 to $1.30 CDN in no time as long as they are not a total Bush, and unless Jeb joins the race I don't see any other human being able to screw over the people of the USA in any way shape or form like Bushie Jr. did and the only real option is to better the White House with his (or her) presance for 4 years.

Hey, Did you hear Obama says he would have Universal Health Care by end of term 1? If he would put him job on the line to do it within the first 2.5 years I think he would be the guy to vote for, but then agian I'm Canadian so what do I care, I'll always get to go to the doctor for free no matter who is in office :lol: :P

Yea, and your Wii Sports disk will be unreadable too soon. That cardboard case scratches it, and I had the same read errors on my disk.

Does the US Wii still ship with WiiSports in that cardboard sleeve? That sucks. In a rare plus point for Europe (and they're RARE, especially from Nintendo) we get a proper box. Could be worse though I guess, in Japan you don't get Wii Sports at all.