IGNORED

Videosyncracies - TFT LCD [NEVER MIND]

BigO

Might any of you video gurus out there suggest some things I might look for to determine if I'll ever be able to use this monitor as a display for my Flashback 2?

Yesterday, I picked up an LCD (5.6" LG/Goldstar LC056N1) display that had been removed from a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth mini-van of some flavor. I reasoned that it would have composite video input capability and would work well for a project I want to do.

I got the wiring all figured out and hooked up (it's fairly simple and almost obvious). Using the video out from a VCR, it displays beautifully. However, when I feed it the composite signal from any of several Atari Flashback 2.0's which display perfectly on several different TV's, the monitor doesn't display any detectable color, just a B&W picture. It's otherwise visually pretty clean, but no color.

I tried patching it through the VCR, thinking that might clean up some weird colorburst problem . . . or something. No dice. Looks just the same as when the FB2 is hooked up directly to the monitor.

I thought about hooking up the RF from an Atari 2600 to the VCR and using the VCR's video out again to feed the monitor. I'm not exactly sure what the result would tell me, though.

[EDIT]: This is no longer an issue for me. As a result of these postings, someone contacted me about buying this display and I gladly accepted their offer. The internet is a wonderful thing. :)

(In case you have one of these displays and are wondering how I hooked it up --- Red & Orange: +12v; Black: Ground; Purple (Backlight): 12v; yellow/white: composite video)

Edited by BigO

i have my flashback2 connected to kworld 1600 TV LCD CONVERTOR BOX with dell 15 inch lcd and it works perfectly.

dont know why your setup isnt working

I have a kworld TV converter, too and had no problems with that setup. I've also played the FB through a TV/Video capture card on my PC successfully. So, the deficiency appears to me to be in the LCD's composite video handling circuitry, but there's obviously something different about the FB's video output that triggers the behavior.

I have a video image enhancer that I'll run it through when I get that back from a friend. If that cleans it up, I'll know there's some hope of it working eventually.

Edited by BigO

Some LCDs are amazingly picky about the composite signals they will take. Usually the problem is the vertical sync rate. I have a 17" Magnavox which will not work with most 2600 games (Combat works), will work with all 7800 games, and will NOT work with the ColecoVision (!).

I don't know how much work was done on the software side of the FB2 to make sure that scan line counts were correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two games were off by a scan line or three.

Also, isn't there something about each scan line being half a color clock beyond an even multiple? This was supposedly a big difference in how color was done on the 2600/7800 vs the NES. Maybe it can't handle the lack of that extra half color clock.

Some LCDs are amazingly picky about the composite signals they will take. Usually the problem is the vertical sync rate. I have a 17" Magnavox which will not work with most 2600 games (Combat works), will work with all 7800 games, and will NOT work with the ColecoVision (!).

I don't know how much work was done on the software side of the FB2 to make sure that scan line counts were correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two games were off by a scan line or three.

Also, isn't there something about each scan line being half a color clock beyond an even multiple? This was supposedly a big difference in how color was done on the 2600/7800 vs the NES. Maybe it can't handle the lack of that extra half color clock.

Thanks, Bruce.

Yeah, I thought about the line count, but with my limited understanding, I assumed that would just cause a vertical hold problem.

I'll have to check on the color clock issue. I'll test with a 2600 and 7800 (through the VCR). I don't have any Nintendo hardware. Though, I do have a couple of plug and play games around somewhere that I can try. Maybe I'll ping supercat. I seem to recall him discussing the 2600 video signal in depth on more than one occasion.

It's actually even worse than I thought. The FB2 was the first thing I hooked up to the LCD. I saw a faint image and tweaked the daylights out of the adjustments on the LCD to get it to display a picture. I assumed it was just out of adjustment. Later, I hooked up the VCR and re-tweaked all of the adjustments to show a very nice TV picture. Last night, I hooked the FB back up to the display and can only barely see a ghost of an image from the FB. It's not looking good, though if I can adjust it to work with the FB, I don't need it to also work with a "good" video signal.

Eew, and even worse yet, it doesn't display the video when the VCR is showing a blue screen with a minimal amount of text when I stop the tape.

Just might be time to mothball this screen. Either that, or drag out and hook up the original wiring harness with its swiching boxes and input ports just in case some of that circuitry does something I don't expect it to do...

• 3 weeks later...

I need to acquire a LG, LC056N1 LCD module and will be happy to pay quite well for same - it need not be fully functional, if you are interested in selling please contact me - thank you very much.

to contact click here

Might any of you video gurus out there suggest some things I might look for to determine if I'll ever be able to use this monitor as a display for my Flashback 2?

Yesterday, I picked up an LCD (5.6" LG/Goldstar LC056N1) display that had been removed from a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth mini-van of some flavor. I reasoned that it would have composite video input capability and would work well for a project I want to do.

I got the wiring all figured out and hooked up (it's fairly simple and almost obvious). Using the video out from a VCR, it displays beautifully. However, when I feed it the composite signal from any of several Atari Flashback 2.0's which display perfectly on several different TV's, the monitor doesn't display any detectable color, just a B&W picture. It's otherwise visually pretty clean, but no color.

I tried patching it through the VCR, thinking that might clean up some weird colorburst problem . . . or something. No dice. Looks just the same as when the FB2 is hooked up directly to the monitor.

I thought about hooking up the RF from an Atari 2600 to the VCR and using the VCR's video out again to feed the monitor. I'm not exactly sure what the result would tell me, though.

(In case you have one of these displays and are wondering how I hooked it up --- Red & Orange: +12v; Black: Ground; Purple (Backlight): 12v; yellow/white: composite video)