IGNORED

Buzzing Lynx Adaptor

thund3r

I've just won a nice lynx collection with a lynx 1, games, adaptor and comlynx. everything seems fine, only the adaptor is making a strange buzzing sound and when i plug in my other adaptor that i use with my lynx 2 it makes no sound at all. So should i be worried about this?

AC adapters shorting out is the number one cause of house fires in North America. Never, ever use an AC adapter you're unsure about. I have a number of Lynx adapters - one shorted out and blew a breaker, and the others are silent. Anyway, it's not worth the risk - if I were you, I'd throw the thing out and use NiMH batteries.

I use Everready NiMH 2500mAh rechargeables in all my "big drain" handhelds (Lynx, TurboExpress, GameGear and GP2X), and they work great - I get longer life than regular Alkalines, and they last ages with a good charger (I use an Everready trickle charger - it takes 8 hours for a full charge, but it doesn't fry the batteries).

• 1 month later...
AC adapters shorting out is the number one cause of house fires in North America.

I've never heard this before. Where did you find this tidbit of information.

My googling only came back with the typical top causes: cooking, smoking, heating systems, kids playing with matches, etc..

only the adaptor is making a strange buzzing sound and when i plug in my other adaptor that i use with my lynx 2 it makes no sound at all. So should i be worried about this?

Depends. Honestly, all AC adapters hum/buzz. Put your ear up to the quiet one and listen. Loud humming/buzzing can be as simple as transformer mounting melting/bending/breaking over the years causing the transformer to resonate in the shell.

Or, maybe the winding are getting weak or shorting out: Read, failing. Does the buzzing get a lot louder when you turn on the Lynx, or stay about the same or only get a little louder. If there is a signifigant difference, it could be signaling a failing adaptor. What about the voltage level? Is it about what it's supposed to be, or is it signifigantly out of tollerance? Or is voltage drop signifigant when a load is connected. These indicate weak/failing units.

The output is supposed to be 9vdc, right. DC meaning there is going to be some low cost rectifier circuit inside the adaptor. These usually fail over time which could cause load issue on the transformer and/or output excessive/complete a/c voltage which could damage the Lynx.

Does it seem to get hotter then the other unit? Does it emit any kind of electrical or burning smell?

If you personaly don't feel safe with it, replace it. But if it's just an issue of noise and everything else (voltage, v-drop, ac bleed, temp) is normal, I personaly wouldn't worry much about it.