IGNORED

Colecovision Mr Dos Castle

swlovinist

I have a Colecovision prototype of Mr. Dos Castle. The case has been opened and has two socketed chips inside. The case itself reads "Coleco MR. Do 12K.RLS.1 6/15/84". The chips inside read "Coleco Mr. Do A 4k.RLS.1 6/15/84" on one and "Coleco Mr. Do B 8K RLS.1 6/15/84 on the other. These labels are typed with what appears to be a dot matrix paper label. Any ideas on ballpark value? I know that Coleco prototypes are more uncommon.

I have a Colecovision prototype of Mr. Dos Castle. The case has been opened and has two socketed chips inside. The case itself reads "Coleco MR. Do 12K.RLS.1 6/15/84". The chips inside read "Coleco Mr. Do A 4k.RLS.1 6/15/84" on one and "Coleco Mr. Do B 8K RLS.1 6/15/84 on the other. These labels are typed with what appears to be a dot matrix paper label. Any ideas on ballpark value? I know that Coleco prototypes are more uncommon.

Are you sure it's Castle, and not just Mr Do? Mr Do was a Coleco title from Coleco, but Mr Do's Castle was released by Parker Brothers (I've heard it rumored it may have been programmed by Coleco though).

As for value, can't say for sure, as I've yet to see a prototype sold since i got back into the scene a year or so ago. I'm sure someone will chime in on it-- I know of at least one collector who has unreleased protos in their collection on here. :)

Murph

Are you sure it's Castle, and not just Mr Do? Mr Do was a Coleco title from Coleco, but Mr Do's Castle was released by Parker Brothers (I've heard it rumored it may have been programmed by Coleco though).

As for value, can't say for sure, as I've yet to see a prototype sold since i got back into the scene a year or so ago. I'm sure someone will chime in on it-- I know of at least one collector who has unreleased protos in their collection on here. :)

Murph

Didn't Coleco just handle/supervise the artwork/sprite design? They contracted out all programming is what I read. Mr. Do's Casle is too well programmed to have been a Coleco project. Doesn't 6/15/84 sound waaaay late for a CV release? I thought they were cancelling all new game releases by then. Anyone know when the game was released to retail?

A pic would be nice, but judging by your description, I have no doubt of its authenticity. That's a cool find. As you said, Coleco protos are more uncommon than Atari ones, but that could be said of just about everything Coleco in relation to Atari. There are also far fewer Coleco collectors as well, so as far as dollar value, I really don't know for sure...but I wouldn't expect anything huge unless its a version that was different from the released version (which is doubtful if it's anything like the Atari 2600 MDC proto that was discovered). Do you have a working ColecoVision to test it on?

I don't usually collect protos, but I'm a big fan of Mr. Do!, so I might be somewhat interested in this one, but someone else will probably offer you more than I'm going to (if you're going to sell it).

Didn't Coleco just handle/supervise the artwork/sprite design? They contracted out all programming is what I read. Mr. Do's Casle is too well programmed to have been a Coleco project. Doesn't 6/15/84 sound waaaay late for a CV release? I thought they were cancelling all new game releases by then. Anyone know when the game was released to retail?

It's not clear who exactly did what as far as the game design is concerned. Tempest and I discussed this briefly in another thread recently:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109291

The game was indeed released in June '84. Coleco had ceased producing new games by then, but the game would have been in development far earlier, so I really don't know what the story was.