IGNORED

(Obsolete) Do you plan to buy a Flashback 2 Portable?

FB2 Portable Interest Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to buy a Flashback 2 Portable?

• Definitely will buy one, maybe more
    • Definitely will buy one
    • Maybe will buy one
    • Don't know
    • May not buy one
    • Will definitely not buy one

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Update: FB2 Portable project cancelled, but there will be a Flashback 3 in 2008/ See http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...00#entry1339391

Seems like it would be a good time for everyone who visits to give a heads up if they are planning to buy a FB2 portable when it comes out as there seems to be some question about it.

Here are the latest specs: Info straight from Curt, compiled from all of his posts in these threads:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96356

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1304596

Latest photos (Jun 18, 2007):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1316997

Older mockup/photo:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1276196

Appearance:

black (see photo)

Controller on unit:

left dpad, right buttons. (1 player joypad & fire button)

Internals: 2600 on a chip with a separate system handing I/O and Memory scheme management

Memory: 2 separate 1MB flash ram systems, one for housekeeping, memory schema's and high-res graphic images/menu. The other is binary storage for the games, and their companion resource files.

Power:

Unit will run on 3 AAA batteries with 15hr run-time.

include external AC socket

Internal speaker:

volume knob to control the internal speaker

Support for external controllers:

The expansion port was going to be for an external dongle to plug controllers into the unit, it seemed better to just put actual db9's right onto the unit.

The port will support joysticks, 2 sets of 2 paddles, trakballs and also keyboard controllers - something that FB2 didn't support, so games like Star Raiders and all of the educational games (and Basic programming) will also work with the unit as well.

Driving controllers support unsure

Games:

Can't really comment on included games right now.

Pitfall II, no sorry, it does not work.

Difficulty switches:

The difficulties are there, you just dont see them through the sample case in this unit.

USB:

The USB will be a mini-connector in the final version.

it is a USB peripheral, not a USB Host device, you will load games through a special piece of software Atari has developed that will have our device support integrated into it.

(USB) acts a peripheral device only (to the portable), in game mode it is read only, in USB mode is acts as a thumbdrive on a Host PC Computer.

You will be able (to dump carts via usb)- through a piece of software to load/unload games to/from the unit.

standard USB HID so it would be recognized on Win/OSX/Linux systems.

USB connection (Mount of a storage drive - so PC, MAC, Linux could all access)

When plugged into a host PC, the Atari portable goes into drive mode - a USB logo appears on the TFT and now the device looks and acts like a USB thumbdrive.

Once unplugged, the system does a software reset, the system first checks the housekeeping memory for any updates to firmware or internal graphics and performs any internal updates. Once complete or if none are present, the system then does an inventory check of the games memory, inventories the resource files, generates the new menu list and initializes the 2600 mode and the menu is presented to the gamer.

Stereo output:

There will be test points around the cpu chip to access all of the signals, I will also release the pinout of the chip, something I wasn't allowed to do previously (and I know many want to know what pins are the stereo outputs on the FB2)

AV out/Audio and Video out:

AV audio output (for TV or headphones)

There will be an AV out on the NTSC units

Screen:

Screen is not flippable (software wise)...

Screen is actually a 320X240 capable AOU brand OEM TFT screen

backlit, absolutely.

(Non adjustable backlighting) It will be a constant backlight and the LCD glass we are using has excellent viewing angle range, no adjustments are necessary, it plays in almost all light levels.

Cost:

Around $39.99 price range

Cart slot/hackability of cart slot:

There was never going to be any kind of cart slot on this unit since all the games load via USB into it.

Curt said earlier "hanging a USB mass storage device and connecting it into the cartridge lines, so the lines will be there"

He said he'd release the pinouts so should be able to hack a cart port in theory. (need to verify)

Development tools:

Yes, we are in discussions with several development tools authors and if we haven't gotten to anyone, please email me, the system should supply as much as possible to give all who buy one the ability to join in on programming.

A supplied CD-ROM will contain all (development) software and manuals.

Other info:

prototypes are completed and working and I gotta tell you... its damned neat to download a game, transfer it to from the PC into the unit, unplug the unit and it performs a soft reset and updates the menu listing with the new game(s) added/removed.

About the dongle that was later replaced by having 2 actual DB-9 ports:

"The micro connector is a 20 pin port bringing out the lines for both player 1 and player 2. The port will use a dongle (either by 3rd party or you will be able to build yourself - the part# of the connector will be made available online and in the manual for those looking to make a dongle.)"

About thumbpad: "...the thumbpad has been altered - it wasn't "Atari" enough so it was updated in its shape, has an orange dotted ring around it to give it a joystick base appearance... -Curt"

Timeline:

project looks like it will however happen, it just may not make it for the holiday season 07'

In the meantime another project may get the green light in the modern gaming arena ahead of the portable, I will keep everyone posted.

if it wasn't happening I think you'd all see my tirade on the forum, so just hang tight, things take quite a bit of time to get signed, sealed and delivered.

Nov 2006: Evolution of the design: ...The case design was completed back in November - we brought in one of the top Industrial Designers who has done work for Jensen. I spent a great deal of time detailing the look and lineage of Atari products and how - if production of the 2600 had never stopped - it would've evolved into this very product.

VGXPO show in 2005: One of original prototypes shown was Linux-based: "What he is referring to was a handeld FB2 with Pong only installed into the prom inside of a 1/2 sized paddle controller, running with 1 AAA battery and had a composite AV cable coming out of it.

Somebody had it posted in a photo thread of the Dallas VGXPO show in 2005. - Curt"

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Well,

Outside the US we missed a PAL Flashback 2.0 release, and I can only hazard a guess that we'll never see a Flashback 3.0. It might be still possible to see the FB2P project launched worldwide as it won't have territory issues.

I would have been happy just to get one of the new FB2 joysticks!

Either way, I guess we'll see if there is any life left in Atari to launch anything in the future.

Karl

Those Flashback threads are really long. Any chance of you putting the info about it in your first post so people who didn't read those threads will know what the Flashback 2 Portable might be like?

If I'll be able to play E.T., Imagic games and more, I'll definitely buy one.

I'm getting two. I have 2 Flashback 2s (one mint in a box and one for playing), and I will do the same with this. Normally I don't bother keeping anything boxed, but at these prices, I figure it's worth collecting something that'll look great in 30 years.

By the way, I feel the need to point out that this is seriously the greatest thing ever in gaming. This system will honestly be my next gen. solution if it is half as great as I expect, and I doubt much else will get any play, except my other Atari hardware.

Edited by Atarifever

Just updated post at top with latest spec I compiled this morning from Curt's comments.

Thanks.

It sure would be a waste if they stuff it with a handful of the same old games without letting us play the games we want to play. If it turns out to be disappointing, I wonder if someone could modify it so we could load in and play our favorite games?

I got tired of my GBA, but if I can play games I actually like, I might buy more than one of these.

USB:

it is a USB peripheral, not a USB Host device, you will load games through a special piece of software Atari has developed that will have our device support integrated into it.

(USB) acts a peripheral device only (to the portable), in game mode it is read only, in USB mode is acts as a thumbdrive on a Host PC Computer.

Okay, full stop, I demand an explanation for this extraneous layer of clusterfarkery. I have never in my life encountered any OEM USB transfer software that didn't fundamentally suck. I call shenanigans on any solution more complex than simply plugging the FB2p into my computer and using Explorer to drag 2600 binaries into a "Games" folder.

Maybe I missed this somewhere but will we be able to put roms on this? If so how many will it be able to hold? is it possible to use a usb flash drive to store games? It would be sweet if it would run off one. Every atari game on a portable system would be GREAT.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

[...]

Cart slot/hackability of cart slot:

There was never going to be any kind of cart slot on this unit since all the games load via USB into it.

(Will not be able to add a cart port.) Sorry, no. USB Flash Ram only.

[...]

I believe this was Curt's reply to a question about the presence of an external connector with the cart lines, not about the possibility to add a cart slot (like in the FB2).

In fact he later said:

There will be test points around the cpu chip to access all of the signals, I will also release the pinout of the chip, something I wasn't allowed to do previously (and I know many want to know what pins are the stereo outputs on the FB2)

Check the thread "Question - FB2 Portable" from post 377 to 400

USB:

Okay, full stop, I demand an explanation for this extraneous layer of clusterfarkery. I have never in my life encountered any OEM USB transfer software that didn't fundamentally suck. I call shenanigans on any solution more complex than simply plugging the FB2p into my computer and using Explorer to drag 2600 binaries into a "Games" folder.

I agree (not about Explorer, but about using any OS's file manager). I believe Fort Apocalypse is wrong. Read this:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1169974

The idea is to make it a standard USB HID so it would be recognized on Win/OSX/Linux systems.

that's the idea at least.

Edited by antron

This was verbatim from Curt's post I think. Let me know how I can clarify it.

USB:

I agree (not about Explorer, but about using any OS's file manager). I believe Fort Apocalypse is wrong. Read this:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1169974

The idea is to make it a standard USB HID so it would be recognized on Win/OSX/Linux systems.

that's the idea at least.

It's a shame they didn't provide an SD card slot to augment the internal storage.

Yes, that's a bummer for me as well. Like I mentioned in the other thread, since the internal memory isn't going to be big enough for the whole library that's going to ruin a large part of portable spontaneous game choice for me. :(