IGNORED

why the lynx is the best atari system

phuzaxeman

i'm going to write a review one day about why i think the atari lynx was the best console ever that atari made.

are there any others that feel that the lynx is the best system atari put out? why or why not?

I love the Lynx, but Atari really only marketed and branded the unit; I still think of it in many ways as an Epyx product. Notwithstanding that, I'd put the Lynx up there with the 800 and the Amiga 1000 as the best Atari/Atari related products.

i'm going to write a review one day about why i think the atari lynx was the best console ever that atari made.

are there any others that feel that the lynx is the best system atari put out? why or why not?

I love the Lynx, but Atari really only marketed and branded the unit; I still think of it in many ways as an Epyx product. Notwithstanding that, I'd put the Lynx up there with the 800 and the Amiga 1000 as the best Atari/Atari related products.

Weren't most of the Atari products designed by exterior companies? 7800 by GCC, Jaguar by Flare, etc... Even Nintendo approached Atari first with the NES with hopes of them marketing it...

Weren't most of the Atari products designed by exterior companies? 7800 by GCC, Jaguar by Flare, etc... Even Nintendo approached Atari first with the NES with hopes of them marketing it...

Yes. The Handy project was complete when it was picked up by Atari, though, which distinguishes it from the 7800 (but not the Jag or the Portfolio). For all their faults, the Tramiels had an excellent eye for new and exciting tech, and they were genius at strong-arming small start-ups into selling their products to them for a song. Too bad they carried this philosophy into other areas of their business, though.

hey phuzaxeman, I personally feel exactly like you. The Lynx combines both great playability and fantastic graphics - and has a wide range of different games. All we lack is just a good RPG :roll:

Btw - the lynx always seems to attract some special attention among "casual gamers". Whenever some friends, relatives or neighbours come over and visit me and see my Atari stuff they usually point to my Lynx and ask "may I give it a try?". Most of the time they're busy then for the next two hours playing Chrystal Mines, Warbirds or Alpine Games :D

hey phuzaxeman, I personally feel exactly like you. The Lynx combines both great playability and fantastic graphics - and has a wide range of different games. All we lack is just a good RPG :roll:

Btw - the lynx always seems to attract some special attention among "casual gamers". Whenever some friends, relatives or neighbours come over and visit me and see my Atari stuff they usually point to my Lynx and ask "may I give it a try?". Most of the time they're busy then for the next two hours playing Chrystal Mines, Warbirds or Alpine Games :D

when it all comes down to it, it's about the number of good titles. the lynx has the best ratio of good games to bad ones. there are so many good games on the lynx, weather it be graphics or gameplay, that many people like. RPG? when will distant lands be out :-)

I don't know if I'd say it's the best Atari system, as the old VCS is (and always has) been my favorite. However, the Lynx is an outstanding system, hands down. I love it, and it beats the pants of the Game Gear and the Gameboy. Until the advent of the GBA, it was the best handheld system ever released. Now that I've got a nice pile of games for it, I have really been enjoying it on trips, at home etc.

It's a damn good, and WAY underrated system. It just doesn't beat the VCS in my book.

Why not start today? That's what I was expecting to read when I opened this thread. ;-)

yes. it would be great but i've got a couple new albums and shows to promote and play with my band and artist i'm currently producing....in time. i want to make sure i do a good right up because i know some people on here might take it personally (i.e., jag and 7800 loyalists).

In many ways.. The Lynx surpassed the 2600 as for collecting (for me that is) and really kind of peaked my inirest more. I think some of it is because I never even knew that it existed until I found this website. Now... I still love the 2600. I have a newer intrest thanks to games like Thrust.

But... I still love my Lynx... and I know that is a system I'll never part with. Same goes for my TG stuff. I really don't see myself parting that out. 70+ games, mostly all in their Jewel cases and Manuals. Why would I ever really want to part with such great games? I thought about it one time. Mainly because I can emulate them on my PSP (and on the computer). All I know is that IF I ever do decide to get rid of it... I think by making the choice to collect the jewel cases and manuals... I've really added value to the collection. I'm sure it would bring quite a bit of cash in the future... but for now it stays put.

As for the Lynx. Never. EVER. As soon as I'm done with the main collection, I'll hit the protos... Talk about a unique challenge!