IGNORED

IDE Adapter for ST?

Greetings,

I'm wondering if there are any IDE adapters available for something like a 1040ST. Perhaps something that uses the cartridge port or ACSI port?

I've seen some web pages where there are schematics and discussion, but I'm specifically looking for something that I can buy.

Thanks!

I'm very interested in something like this also. Preferably using CF.

Sounds like you may want a SatanDisk. I can't wait until I get mine :D It's SD, not CF though.

This may be the solution, if someone plans to make and sell them. I've got too many unfinished builds to take on any new ones ;)

I'm very interested in something like this also. Preferably using CF.

Sounds like you may want a SatanDisk. I can't wait until I get mine :D It's SD, not CF though.

Hehe, that's no problem. All of the other products I've been hoping on aren't panning out as quickly as my impatient self would like. ;)

svd is no longer beinge produced, HxC who knows. I really don't want to have to open my sealed ST game boxes (time bandit, etc). Stinks being a collector *and* a gamer I guess. :)

EDIT:

Slightly OT but didn't you pick up a similar device for your TI99/4A? I'm eyeballing that thing too, but I need to make sure I can somehow play cart based games using it (i.e. find disk based menu versions of the carts). It'd be useless to me if I can't play Hunt the Wumpus with it.

~telengard

Edited by telengard

• 5 weeks later...

People have started getting their satandisks, I think from about a week and a half ago. beta testing is over, and they're being shipped. I got my ship notification today. This will be so cool, some of the people have been saying that getting fresh content running on their machines within minutes is so easy. Before, it was download it, unpack it, put it on a floppy that works (drive and disk), take it to the ST and hope it loads and hope the disk is a 720k. Long walk to thebarn. Now, you download it to the card, take the card to the ST, and the data is there after a reset. iirc. So much easier. Only down side is that you have to buy HDDRIVER.

I can live with it.

Nathan

It only works with HDDRIVER? That'd be a bit of a bummer, thought it worked with the other HD utils.

It does work with others utils/drivers. I plan (didn't receive mine yet) to use it with ICD Pro drivers.

I'm gonna have to research it more :?: I'm waiting to break out the whole system till it gets here.

How can I order one, I checked the page but didn't see anything about ordering. Is the Satandisk recognized as a hard drive by games that allow installation to hard drives as well as just being usable as one?

The pre-order/build phase is over. You would have to check with them to see if they have any extra units.

As far as I know it will work just like any other ST HD device, so yes installable games will work as well as regular HD operations.

I asked the developer in the forum to post up a how-to or setup guide and to put it online. When mine gets to me I'll dive into the project.

For those interested, there is a call over at atari-forum.com to see how many people would be interested in a second run of satandisks to be made, from a different manufacturer. As for me, I'm still waiting on the first one, not decided on the second. I offered a suggestion that they bundle HDDriver with it somehow. I was informed that HDDriver was the most robust and best supported program to use drives like the Satandisk, but not the only one.

Nathan