IGNORED

Burnout Paradise

moycon

These were the first clips of the gameplay I've seen...

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/850/850816/vids_1.html

Looks like this is shaping up to be the best Burnout yet. The thoaty growl of that muscle car as it tears down the road is awesome.

It also seems to me I've read this game is more like Test Drive in that the world is populated with other 360 owners cars. From what I remember you can just pull up next to a person and instigate a race, no load time, just go time. The crashes are spectacular, I hope they include the crash courses. Definately a game I want on day one.

wait a minute, let me get this straight, with Test Drive, on live, it's actually real time the entire world, not just like 5 people on one game, it could be lets say hundreds?

No, but the world is populated by other real 360 owners driving around, you can tell them by the gamertag above the car...I'm not sure how many are driving around your particular world at any one time, I thought I read 30? But that could be wrong.

In any case, even then, the races still aren't 30 people at once.

• 1 year later...

I always keep a game like PGR or Burnout in my library.

Most games I play, beat, re-sell, but these two driving games are great

for just something to 'pop in and play'.

There aren't many games from this gen that you can just pop in for 5 - 10 minutes.

It's $20 everywhere now.

I can't say I see it on the shelves much these days so "everywhere" might be an overstatement, but I didn't know it was a retail price drop as well. :cool:

Its a decent enough game. There were things I liked about the new version and things I didn't. I think there might be a patch coming out soon or that has come out that fixes some annoyances.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56907

It's now also available on PSN for $20.

Sony is crazy if they think I'm going to buy a game electronically for $20 when I can buy a physical copy for the same price (perhaps even less), which I can then sell or trade when I'm done with it. Not to mention you can't bring that electronic copy over to a friend's house to play it.

..Al

At least as of last year, EA and Criterion are still working on Burnout Paradise. The available updates have added things like motorcycle racing and day/night cycles. Pretty cool stuff.

My only complaint is with the crash junctions. These helped make Burnout 3: Takedown a thing of beauty, but they were a bit over the top in Burnout Revenge, and they're completely ridiculous here. Other than that, Burnout Paradise is top notch.

Some people like downloadable games because they don't have to mess with putting the disc in the machine. I'd personally rather own something physical even though I don't sell back games or take them over to friend's houses.

I'm really surprised at how long Criterion has been working on this game. It's like a PC title with all the updates. Now with the internet connections with this generation it'll be interesting if companies also start adopting the release and patch method that has plagued PC titles forever.

My only complaint is with the crash junctions. These helped make Burnout 3: Takedown a thing of beauty, but they were a bit over the top in Burnout Revenge, and they're completely ridiculous here. Other than that, Burnout Paradise is top notch.

Played Burnout 2? I LOVE the crash junctions in that. Always felt B3 relied too heavily on the multipliers. B2 was just you, an intersection and a big insurance claim.

As for Burnout Paradise, I'm afraid to say I'll be trading my copy in. Had it since release and have updated it regularly. I appreciate all the features added, but to me, the game just seemed empty, soulless. I'm given free rein in a very well realised world but it's a world I wouldn't choose to be in. Since B3, the series has gradually stripped away everything I liked about it and, well, I'm done.

Played Burnout 2? I LOVE the crash junctions in that. Always felt B3 relied too heavily on the multipliers. B2 was just you, an intersection and a big insurance claim.

As for Burnout Paradise, I'm afraid to say I'll be trading my copy in. Had it since release and have updated it regularly. I appreciate all the features added, but to me, the game just seemed empty, soulless. I'm given free rein in a very well realised world but it's a world I wouldn't choose to be in. Since B3, the series has gradually stripped away everything I liked about it and, well, I'm done.

My favorites in the series would be the orginal Burnout and Revenge. Both are two different games. One is a good arcade racer, while Revenge is just plain fun. I could care less about Paradise. B2 was a nice step up in the orginal and I like it much better than B3. Surprisingly, Dominater is OK (I just got this one). It seems to be a little bit of a mix of B12&3.

-Lee

My only complaint is with the crash junctions. These helped make Burnout 3: Takedown a thing of beauty, but they were a bit over the top in Burnout Revenge, and they're completely ridiculous here.

A bit. I have all the PS2 titles except Dominator, but B3 was my introduction to the series. I'll have to investigate B2 a little more now, though I must say the chaos and destruction caused by the crash-breakers and especially the tanker trucks in B3 were awesome sights to behold.

I see where you're coming from. While I enjoy Paradise very much, it isn't the revolution that B3 was. Maybe it's because we've seen what the series is capable of and so we're not surprised anymore. Or maybe it's because Paradise borrows heavily from EA's other racing series, Need for Speed, which has never really hooked me. Or maybe it's just because it's missing Striker and the B3 soundtrack that managed to capture lightning in a bottle. Whatever the reason, it hasn't brought the oohs, ahhs, and giggle-fits that B3 did. But still, it's entertaining to me, so I'll keep playing.

More Burnout series talk here! I loved the original Burnout on Gamecube because it was very challenging, especially until I 'got it' - how to go so fast without crashing every 2 seconds. (my strategy: ride down white lane divider lines, weave slightly left/right as necessary; also memorize track of course).

B2 was really nice too (I played on Gamecube). I think the crash junctions of B2 were more fun than the later ones -- as mentioned above, I thought the extra multipliers and icons just got in the way of the basic concept. B2 introduced cop chases too which were loads o' fun.

I next got Burnout: Takedown on Xbox which I think is fantastic. I never beat it though; one series of races in particular was so difficult I could not get even 3rd place.

I next picked up the next one (was it Revenge? ) but I quickly grew tired of it and traded it in. Still have B2 and Takedown and dig them out now & then.

I'm planning on getting Burout Paradise when I buy my X360. Maybe I won't like it as much as I did the originals, but the bump up in graphics is worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought Burnout Paradise last Friday. I havnen't played it myself yet, but I did watch Caf jr play it for over an hour. He isn't a racing game fan but he seems to love this game. It forces a widescreen image to my SD TV, making the image a bit smaller, but the visuals are pretty sweet. We laughed at the concept of drive-thru's to fix your car or get a new paint job. The game looks gargantuan in scope; right now I'm working my way through Sega Rally Revo though (which I like a lot) so BP will not get too much time yet.

Yeah...the takedowns are fun :)

If you find some nice ramps its always nice to do a few different kinds of jumps.

The airfield has a few nice ramps as well as a "loop" to jump through.

I need to get the 360 version to play along with some friends and anyone who is playing here.

Its cheap enough now.

I need to get the 360 version to play along with some friends and anyone who is playing here.

Its cheap enough now.

It's also surprising how much support the game is getting from Criterion in spite of the game not selling all that well.

The game has had several free patches that add to the game (bikes) but also recently DLC (Not free) in the form of Legendary cars, Toy cars, and I've heard an upcoming whole new area as well as a Party pack. Sure these cost $$$ but I look at it this way. I initially paid $39.99 for the game and think it was worth every penny. Now it can be had for less than $20, even with buying the expansions and cars you'd still wind up paying less than $39.99 and have everything the game offered and more.

Its cheap enough now.

It's also surprising how much support the game is getting from Criterion in spite of the game not selling all that well.

The game has had several free patches that add to the game (bikes) but also recently DLC (Not free) in the form of Legendary cars, Toy cars, and I've heard an upcoming whole new area as well as a Party pack. Sure these cost $$$ but I look at it this way. I initially paid $39.99 for the game and think it was worth every penny. Now it can be had for less than $20, even with buying the expansions and cars you'd still wind up paying less than $39.99 and have everything the game offered and more.

Definitely worth 40 bucks and its a crime not to own this game for $20.

I just picked up my copy for 360 today.

My XBL tag is cimerians