IGNORED

menu irritation

kisrael

I just want to say, I hate how the ONLY way of navigating the home menu is with the Wiimote in pointer mode.

Since there are games that don't use the Wiimote (ala the GC), and games that don't use the Wiimote in pointer mode

(ala ExciteTruck) it's annoying that they didn't throw in a simple crosspad based interface for the Wiimotes and GC controllers, when I'm playing those games exclusively for a bit.

I just want to say, I hate how the ONLY way of navigating the home menu is with the Wiimote in pointer mode.

Since there are games that don't use the Wiimote (ala the GC), and games that don't use the Wiimote in pointer mode

(ala ExciteTruck) it's annoying that they didn't throw in a simple crosspad based interface for the Wiimotes and GC controllers, when I'm playing those games exclusively for a bit.

is it really that hard to go ahead and turn the remote sideways after excite truck? i dont think it takes that much effort. and they want to show off the pointer. if you have a main menu that doesnt need it, its like games that dont need it... then it's just like the playstation 3's motorstorm where you have the 6 axis support but you have the regular, basically saying you have no confidence in the new control method. i think its good, quick , and efficient to only have one control in the main menu.

i WILL agree with you though that the gc support is sloppy on the wii. i understand that the wiimote needs to be on before you get to the wii channel, but for it to lose ALL connectivity so you cant exit to the wii menu like you can on any other game. thats what really doesnt feel well thought out. but , especially considering how often i play excite truck, i can honestly say ive never turned the remote to it's side and said "ughhh.. god damn that was way more effort needed than it should have been".

is it really that hard to go ahead and turn the remote sideways after excite truck? i dont think it takes that much effort. and they want to show off the pointer. if you have a main menu that doesnt need it, its like games that dont need it... then it's just like the playstation 3's motorstorm where you have the 6 axis support but you have the regular, basically saying you have no confidence in the new control method. i think its good, quick , and efficient to only have one control in the main menu.

i WILL agree with you though that the gc support is sloppy on the wii. i understand that the wiimote needs to be on before you get to the wii channel, but for it to lose ALL connectivity so you cant exit to the wii menu like you can on any other game. thats what really doesnt feel well thought out. but , especially considering how often i play excite truck, i can honestly say ive never turned the remote to it's side and said "ughhh.. god damn that was way more effort needed than it should have been".

Your utterly missing my point, but at least you tried to be a little funny about it, and maybe didn't realize I tend to travel with my Wii. It's not tough to turn the remote on its side, and I support the idea of using the controller in different ways for different games. What's annoying is either A. having to set up the sensor bar JUST to navigate the menu, when I want to play ExciteTruck or a GC or VC game, and B. having to put batteries in a WiiMote when I just want to play a GC game. The Wii menu is nicely arranged so that it should be easy to navigate with a crosspad or analog stick. Hell, I think even WiiSports supports crosspad use, and that's a game that doesn't even use the crosspad.

If you have your system always setup maybe it's not such a big deal, but I also use a wireless sensor bar, and would have to go turn it on just to navigate.

I'd say that's a bigger issue than losing Wiimote connectivity. I understand that you want GC emulation to be as deep as possible, and that might mean not reserving part of the processor to run an entirely different Operating System than the current game is using.

Edited by kisrael

Well in fairness, you didn't mention you travel with your Wii. And the Wii was designed to always have the sensor bar there, so if you're using it in ways other than prescribed, you can't really blame the system when you run into difficulties.

Well in fairness, you didn't mention you travel with your Wii. And the Wii was designed to always have the sensor bar there, so if you're using it in ways other than prescribed, you can't really blame the system when you run into difficulties.

yea, i mean everyone knows the sensor bar is there and apart of your system.. and it IS kind of the whole "gimmick" of the system (the use of the pointer). you cant really complain about having to set it up.. thats like saying the system should be wireless in every respect because you dont like plugging it into the tv and outlet each time... which in fact i think is a lot harder than setting up the sensor bar as that takes a whopping , what... 60 seconds to set up?

also, most people have games other than excite truck and gc games... and most people also use the channel system weekly, so having an alternative control set up for the menu for people like you , which are a rarity, which dont use pointer games and who dont use the channels is kinda of useless...

I'll try fiddling w/ the classic controller.

But in fairness, sometimes it seems like it would be easier to Just Press A (assuming the top left menu item is highlighted) to kick things off than to have to play that little recalibrate game of swing the controller around and get the hand on the icon.

Ok, maybe it's petty, but swapping controllers while just wanting to play GC stuff is unfortunate.