IGNORED

Iron Soldier 2 at it's best! RGB&surround sound!

Gunstar

Now nothing can stop me from world domination! Muhuhahahahahaha!

http://jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGBv4/index.html

(RGB to Component Video Adapters; Jaguar->Component Video!)

Yeah, I saw that in the other thread, cool huh? Not only is this good for modern TV's getting the best possible Jaguar picture, but I'm thinking of my genesis/segcd/32x system that always only had composite video, and for a better picture than that, the only other choice was RGB; now, I can use this adapter and through it, have my choice of S-video OR component to the Gen/SCD/32X too! The Jaguar will ROCK with component video! RGB quality on the big screen...finally! I think this guy's (JROK) is going to get a sudden influx of orders from Jaguar fans! Better order quick or he may get backlogged!

update: just checked my e-mail and I recieved a response to pricing on these things, the component only starts at $65+shipping and the component/video/s-video starts at $85+shipping, he also sells a sync adapter incase you have a TV that has problems syncing up, and that's an addition $10 if you order it at the same time, so it's possible that this could be a $100 dollar upgrade! Worth it? Everyone will have to decide that themselves, I think it is, but I'm not going to have the extra cash for something that expensive for a while.

Edited by Gunstar

I'm planning on just the $65 RGB to component only, since I have three systems that can benefit from this. If I had to buy one for each system, I probably wouldn't do it.

I should be able to run the Jaguar, Playstation, and ST into a switchbox, then to this adapter before going to the TV. Can't wait to play Dungeon Master on the big screen ;)

If only I could get RGB out of the Atari 7800 and Atari 130XE ;) Those have to settle for S-Video.

This is going to be fun.

I'm planning on just the $65 RGB to component only, since I have three systems that can benefit from this. If I had to buy one for each system, I probably wouldn't do it.

I should be able to run the Jaguar, Playstation, and ST into a switchbox, then to this adapter before going to the TV. Can't wait to play Dungeon Master on the big screen ;)

If only I could get RGB out of the Atari 7800 and Atari 130XE ;) Those have to settle for S-Video.

This is going to be fun.

I was going to go that route to, but then I decided to go with the all-in-one version when I get the money, becuase I don't yet have a TV with component video inputs, but I can use it with my Genesis/SegaCD/32X system for S-video, since it ONLY ever gave you composite cables, or the ability to build a custom RGB cable (which I have), but that wasy I can send the RGB signal for it to this board, and then get S-video at least for the it until I get a TV with component video inputs.

Just to point out for all here that are interested in the JROK box for the mod. You NEED the sync seperator to use it with some systems!!!!!!! Systems that have sync you should be ok but systems that only have a composite (yellow video cable) need the sync stripper.

The ones that i know need it right off the batt that i use are these

PSX

PS2

SNES

N64

Neo-Geo ( the sync was bad so i used it to clean it up)

The Jaguar has composite sync so it should be good. No clue where to get a cable end to hook up and wire from unless some one knows where to get RGB scart cables cheap for the Jaguar.

Check some of the pinouts here also http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:av_pinouts

Also if you don't order the sync cleaner from JROK you could build one off of the LM1881n chip. More info is on the nfggames.com site.

As before if anyone has questions please let me know and i'll try to help.

Component rules!

Just to point out for all here that are interested in the JROK box for the mod. You NEED the sync seperator to use it with some systems!!!!!!! Systems that have sync you should be ok but systems that only have a composite (yellow video cable) need the sync stripper.

The ones that i know need it right off the batt that i use are these

PSX

PS2

SNES

N64

Neo-Geo ( the sync was bad so i used it to clean it up)

The Jaguar has composite sync so it should be good. No clue where to get a cable end to hook up and wire from unless some one knows where to get RGB scart cables cheap for the Jaguar.

Check some of the pinouts here also http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:av_pinouts

Also if you don't order the sync cleaner from JROK you could build one off of the LM1881n chip. More info is on the nfggames.com site.

As before if anyone has questions please let me know and i'll try to help.

Component rules!

Thanks! Also, just so people know, Sega Genesis RGB DOES have sync, but that's probably becuase, like the Jaguar, it came with RGB signal pins and doesn't have to be modded, just a proper cable made for it.

Thanks! Also, just so people know, Sega Genesis RGB DOES have sync, but that's probably becuase, like the Jaguar, it came with RGB signal pins and doesn't have to be modded, just a proper cable made for it.

Just a note on that. The Genesis does have sync but you need to make a custom cable for it. The db-8 din connector needed is not common as it is a "U" shaped pin setting. It is usually called a "audio din" db-8. There is more about it here.

Here is my box. I used a old zip drive case just to get by till i finish my full sized case. It requires a +5 DC power supply and needs like 200MA of power to run. The Sync cleaner only takes a bit more so it can be small. The LM1881n sync cleaner only takes a bit more and uses +5DC too.

rgbbox1webzf0.th.jpg

rgbboxweboi8.th.jpg

Why do you have 2 sync cleaners? The Jrok and your homebrew? Doesn't it only require one? Or is this becuase you have two different devices inputing at the same time?

My box does have both and I wired it to do ether/or, both, or no sync. It will just pass though the standard sync signal as is if it doesn't need stabilization. Yeah its overkill but it works well for any option and I have just left it going from my first setup.

You can check out my Jag sound set up
. It sounds really good with BattleSphere and Tempest2000.

HA! I have that exact same model entertainment center, but in in the shelf section on the left side I've got: Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Colecovision, and then my Jag on the bottom.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

Regarding IS2 I have two questions:

1.) As stated before there is pro-controller support. Does this completely eliminate any need to use the keypad?

2.) Absolutely everything seems improved in IS2; is their any need to own the original? In other words, does the first Iron Soldier do anything better than the sequel? The only thing I can think of is maybe some of the missions may be better (I don't know) and that unless you own a CDROM you won't hear the sound track on the second (probably wouldn't matter to me because I think I'd like the more Sim feel of no music.)

Thank for taking the time to read my post.

Resurrecting an old thread.

Regarding IS2 I have two questions:

1.) As stated before there is pro-controller support. Does this completely eliminate any need to use the keypad?

2.) Absolutely everything seems improved in IS2; is their any need to own the original? In other words, does the first Iron Soldier do anything better than the sequel? The only thing I can think of is maybe some of the missions may be better (I don't know) and that unless you own a CDROM you won't hear the sound track on the second (probably wouldn't matter to me because I think I'd like the more Sim feel of no music.)

Thank for taking the time to read my post.

Never cared to pick up a pro controller myself so I can't answer question 1 but...

2) There was actually an entire thread started recently comparing IS1 and IS2 over at JSII. You can see it here.

My personal opinion is that IS2 adds a few pretty textures but takes a few steps back in regard to gameplay. The difficulty is generally cranked up a notch and you encounter ALOT more fodder (tanks, helicopters .etc) to the point that it gets a little annoying. The missions IMO aren't as exciting either as they take much longer to complete and involve less interesting looking targets.

Edited by Willard