IGNORED

Atari 5200 controllers

atari5200dude

I ordered my controllers from atari2600.com and sent in my broken ones on tuesday and I'm still waiting for my new controllers. I cant wait! They should be here tuesday or wenesday, I'll tell you guys when they arrive

The one problem with a rebuilt 5200 controller is that it's still a 5200 controller.

I love my 5200. It was the last Atari system I found, and found it "in the wild." But without a Wico, I wouldn't be able to use it at all.

I ordered my controllers from atari2600.com and sent in my broken ones on tuesday and I'm still waiting for my new controllers. I cant wait! They should be here tuesday or wenesday, I'll tell you guys when they arrive

The one problem with a rebuilt 5200 controller is that it's still a 5200 controller.

I love my 5200. It was the last Atari system I found, and found it "in the wild." But without a Wico, I wouldn't be able to use it at all.

The wico is a hugh blocky beast, but at least the fire buttons work. In fact I actually prefer the stock stick for games not requiring a lot of fire button action like pac-man.

Currently, I'm waiting on some parts so I can finish my DIY masterplay.

I have 6 rebuilt 5200 controllers and i'm happy with them. All you do is barely tap the fire button and they fire. Very easy to use once rebuilt. If not rebuilt, forget it. Their quite unusable. You should be happy with them once you get yours.

The wico is a hugh blocky beast, but at least the fire buttons work. In fact I actually prefer the stock stick for games not requiring a lot of fire button action like pac-man.

I can easily hold the Wico stick in my hand while I play. I have no problems with it at all.

I did invest in a rebuilt controller. But it barely works. In fact, right now, just for the function buttons like start and reset and such, I'm using a controller I found in a trash can! It's buttons, even on the keypad, work better than my "rebuilt" one. Go figure.

I can easily hold the Wico stick in my hand while I play. I have no problems with it at all.

I did invest in a rebuilt controller. But it barely works. In fact, right now, just for the function buttons like start and reset and such, I'm using a controller I found in a trash can! It's buttons, even on the keypad, work better than my "rebuilt" one. Go figure.

Hmm. Very strange. Apparently the rebuild wasn't done right. If done correctly, they will work just fine.

Hmm. Very strange. Apparently the rebuild wasn't done right. If done correctly, they will work just fine.

Yeah, something must've not been done right. Last time I tried to use just the start button it wouldn't work. When it did work, I'd have to really press it, or press it at a bit of an angle to get it to work. Also had problems with the # and * buttons not working, which is a problem when you want to change start levels or difficulty levels. And that's about all I need the standard controller for, so if they don't work, it's useless.

But two I found in the trash work just fine for what I need. :)

Yeah, something must've not been done right. Last time I tried to use just the start button it wouldn't work. When it did work, I'd have to really press it, or press it at a bit of an angle to get it to work. Also had problems with the # and * buttons not working, which is a problem when you want to change start levels or difficulty levels. And that's about all I need the standard controller for, so if they don't work, it's useless.

Glad you found them. Its good to see things like this saved. :)

The two port 5200 I found in the trash with them now has a brand new motherboard inside! I think that is so keewwwllll! :D

The two port 5200 I found in the trash with them now has a brand new motherboard inside! I think that is so keewwwllll! :D

Congratulations!! Good to hear. I do the same, whenever i find something thrown out like that, i pick it up immediately. :)

They Arrived!! I am really happy with them, All the buttons work and the joysticks are self-centering! (runs to play centipede)

Are you sure they're really self-centering, or does it just feel that way because of a new rubber boot? There's a difference between self-centering and "tight."

They Arrived!! I am really happy with them, All the buttons work and the joysticks are self-centering! (runs to play centipede)

Are you sure they're really self-centering, or does it just feel that way because of a new rubber boot? There's a difference between self-centering and "tight."

I need to get some new boots myself. Would make a big difference not to mention look better too.

i've never used anything but stock 5200 controllers and I personally do not see or have any problems with them, i think they work well with what I have, though there is a learning curve for some games, like Donkey Kong Jr.

Did you ever play BBSB or Miner 49'er with the 5200 controllers? I can actually list quite a number of games that are totally unplayable because of those sticks.

i've never used anything but stock 5200 controllers and I personally do not see or have any problems with them, i think they work well with what I have, though there is a learning curve for some games, like Donkey Kong Jr.

Did you ever play BBSB or Miner 49'er with the 5200 controllers? I can actually list quite a number of games that are totally unplayable because of those sticks.

==> I disagree. I have always found Miner 2049'er totally and surprisingly playable with my 5200 sticks. I think there is significant difference in feel in 5200 sticks -- I always use the semi-self-centering ones, with the extra rubber boot.

I see people complain about Frogger and Q*bert but I find the control very easy to adjust to. You simply press the direction and click the button to do the actual jump. In a way it is even more accurate than using a stick with immediate response.

Now, there is one one game I have a hard time with is and that is trying to do platform jumping in Kangaroo. Pressing up while running to the left or right presents problems with the non-centering stick, with me.

==> I disagree. I have always found Miner 2049'er totally and surprisingly playable with my 5200 sticks. I think there is significant difference in feel in 5200 sticks -- I always use the semi-self-centering ones, with the extra rubber boot.

I see people complain about Frogger and Q*bert but I find the control very easy to adjust to. You simply press the direction and click the button to do the actual jump. In a way it is even more accurate than using a stick with immediate response.

Now, there is one one game I have a hard time with is and that is trying to do platform jumping in Kangaroo. Pressing up while running to the left or right presents problems with the non-centering stick, with me.

I agree, if they are rebuilt and in good condition, They are completely usable in most cases. Kangaroo is challenging with the sticks but i played that game so many times, i got used to it and was able to control it quite well.