IGNORED

Rank the Epyx titles!

Damon Plus

They were not only the Lynx designers, but one of the best developers as well (most will say they were the best ;) ). How would you rank their games?

My list would be like this:

1-Todd's Adventures in Slime World (there is so much cramed inside it's just amazing)

2-Chip's Challenge (Very well designed, and easy and addictive to play)

3-California Games (Great version of the game, with all of the events fun to play and great graphics/sound)

4-Blue Lightning

5-Gates of Zendocon (a bit easy, but the gates system adds lots of replay value. Great music too!)

6-Electrocop (impressive technically speaking, but a bit cumbersome gameplay)

7-Zarlor Mercenary (not a big fan of this one)

8-Gauntlet the Third Encounter (not bad, but it's the worst of them all)

1-Todd's Adventures in Slime World -massive game and amazing fun,espec in multiplayer)

2-California Games -best version of cal games on ANY system imo

3-Gauntlet the Third Encounter -love this game great fun and long lasting

4-Blue Lightning - good gfx and a decent challenge (for me at least)

5-Electrocop -1st lynx game i completed ,will always have a soft spot for this

6-Gates of Zendocon -good shooter with some unusual baddies :)

7-Chip's Challenge -average puzzle game ,nothing special imo

8-Zarlor Mercenary -also not a fan

If only Epyx had released Summer, Winter, World Games on the Lynx! Sigh.

1. CA Games, by far! So addictive and I still play it. The score "rating" system on BMX and halfpipe is fun, and the skater babe on the high score screen doesn't hurt either.

2. Electrocop. A little tedious, but the music is awesome and I love the mini-games.

3. Zarlor Mercenary, strictly for the hidden math program (Life).

4. Chip's Challenge, strictly for the hidden math program (fractals).

5. Slime World. A bit slow, and kind of frustrating at times, but I like that you don't really die permanently, except on the Action level. I'm not a fan of the usual "three lives and you're out."

6. Gates of Zendocon. Not my cup of tea.

7. Blue Lightning. Too hard for my taste.

8. Gauntlet. I find this boring and repetitive, and I don't like the sounds at all.

Here's my ranking...

1-California Games - I love this game and play it to death!

2-Blue Lightning - sure it's simplistic and repetitive, but I love blowing shit up!

3-Zarlor Mercenary - a good, solid old-school shooter that really shines as a two player co-op experience

4-Todd's Adventures in Slime World - big, clever, and fun alone or with others...

5-Chip's Challenge - I always enjoy this when I plug it in, then I go away again for a little while...

6-Gauntlet the Third Encounter - a great game lynxed up, but I get tired of it pretty quickly solo...

7-Gates of Zendocon - putting this at the bottom of the list says a lot about the quality of the other titles, because it is a good shooter - but the duller-than-dishwater no-scroll backgrounds get to me after a while... I've completed it a couple times though...

8-Electrocop - ya, it's cool, but it never really grabbed me, though I did push through and finish it back in the day...

:)

I like all the Epyx titles. Even though they were first generation titles, it's clear they really had a great understanding of the system. Their games are so much more slick and polished than a lot of later releases from Atari. They were such a great game company. It makes me sad they went out of business. That would've been awesome if they could've stuck around to port more of their games to the lynx. Jumpman and Jumpan junior would be perfect for a portable system like the lynx.

I also like all of them. There isn't a bad Epyx-game on the Lynx. I think maybe Zarlor Mercenary is a little hard. California Games could need one or two more events (where is the rollerblade girl?). And I really dont like that you have to play Gauntlet holding your Lynx vertical.

My ranking would look something like this:

1: Gates of Zendocon

2: Blue Lightning

3: Chips Challenge

4: Zarlor Mercenray

5: Todd's Adventures in Slime World

6: Electrocop

7: California Games

8: Gauntlet the Third Encounter

Just for curiosity, these would be the list if we were doing a top 10 list...

California games- 31

Slime World- 29

Blue Lightning- 26

Chip's Challenge- 24

Gates of Zendocon- 20

Zarlor Mercenary- 20

Electrocop- 18

Gauntlet: the Third Encounter- 12

No, this is not a top list, but we can know some interesting things this way. It seems that Gauntlet is considered the "worst" Epyx game, because it's the last one in 3 people's list. Aside from that, and as usual, there's a lot of variety in opinions. There hasn't been a game that has ranked 4# or higher on every list

• 1 month later...

1-California Games * out of all of my lynx game this one gets the most playtime!

2-Chip's Challenge * by todays standards it looks like a cheap java game.

but boy did it have me and my brother hooked for weeks!!!

3-Todd's Adventures in Slime World * (there is so much cramed inside it's just amazing) I agree!!! Amazing adventure game! A rework on the DS would be sweet!

4-Gates of Zendocon * soft spot for me, first lynx game i beat!

5-Electrocop * funny thing... i just think of this game and the intro music pops in my head... great game, didn't beat this one yet. hhmmmmm

6-Gauntlet the Third Encounter * my biggest beef is why did they design in for vertical play? stupid idea.... but not that bad of a game....

7-Blue Lightning * maybe it should be higher on the list.. but really it's just not that fun to play. great stil today to show off the system.

ohhh and it was the first game i saw in person running on a lynx system back in the day. Early 1990 at a atari user group meeting.

?-Zarlor Mercenary *no comment.. havn't played it yet.

-rick

1. Slime World. My favorite Lynx game :)

2. Chip's Challenge . Great puzzle game, even if it's kinda ugly.

3. Blue Lightning. I'm a sucker for these kind of games.

4. Zendocon. Pretty, but kind of easy.

As to the rest, I just got 'em. I'll let you know ;)

1. Slime World - Easily one of the best Lynx titles overall.

2. Gates of Zendocon - Pretty easy game, but it was my first game outside of CG when the Lynx first came out (and the one that was demo'd at Babbage's).

3. California Games - Very polished game, and the BMX track especially is totally awesome.

4. Zarlor Mercenary - Fairly difficult, but fun to play through. I like the top down perspective.

5. Blue Lightning - Some levels are really hard, but the ground attack missions are fun.

6. Electrocop - I found this game very frustrating, and I like the mini games better that are included.

7. Gauntlet - Terrible game playing solo, "lynxed up" is O.K.

8. Chips Challenge - I hate puzzle games so i guess i'm not all that objective on this one.