IGNORED

SEGA games announced but never released.

moycon

Anybody have any info on the SEGA games that were announced. Games like:

The Fall Guy

Friday the 13th

Airplane

48 Hours

War of the Worlds

I remember as a kid when I read about these games it was in a gaming magazine...Probably Electronic Games. It seems to me they had a small picture with some MOC boxes. I was very excited as I love games based on movies. Surely Sega had to pay something to get the rights to the titles. Did they just abandon the games before work was even started on them?

I think I asked this once before without much response. Probably because there isn't a whole lot of info about the "games" If you had asked me a year ago what undiscovered game I'd want found I would have said Lord of the Rings and any one of these games.

Anybody have info or opinions on these un-released titles?

I'd have to disagree about Friday the 13th. Although I have nothing to go on but an old picture I can remember as a kid. The box cover for Friday the 13th was definately modeled after the horror movies. I was and still am a big horror movie fan and that one game in particular stands out. Plus it would seem strange that Sega would licence and announce all these games based on movie titles but then throw in a title the had nothing to do with the movie.... Keeping in mind that although they don't now. Paramount owned and distributed all the titles that Sega had announced back then.

Note that they're all Paramount films. Arrgh... what did Sega ever do to deserve being owned by PARAMOUNT?!

(Considers the premature deaths of the Dreamcast and Saturn, and the moronic 32X)

What did they do back *then*, I mean.

I'm just glad they've broken free from Gulf and Western's diabolical grasp before Viacom bought the company. If they hadn't, all those crappy Nicktoons games would be released by Sega rather than T*HQ, and nobody would want that.

JR

I will try to find the picture but I suspect it will be very difficult as I cut up alot of my older gaming magazines from that time. I serched the web but so far have come up empty.

Is this the picture you're talking about?

sega.jpg

John

32x for life

It's big, It's bulky but it rules...

Finally, someone else who likes the 32X. It's my favourite bit of gaming hardware. Not for the games, but for the shear complexity. I've got a complete Mega Drive II, Mega CD II, 32X rig at home. Huge. Virtua Fighter is superb on it. Its version of Doom is smoother than the Saturn version, though much lower res. But here's a better link:

http://www.atani-software.net/segabase/Seg...gaBase-32X.html

That is the picture YES!! Thanks! As you can see by the artwork on Friday the 13th it was clearly modeled after the film. Scared kids sitting around a campfire. Plus the font used in the title is exactly the same as the film. And the bloody 13.

Thanks for the pic!! I had forgot about Dragonslayer.

Now if only some of these games would surface. Hell I'd just settle for someone who had info on the games...

and not on the frickin 32x SEGA games either.

As you can see by the artwork on Friday the 13th it was clearly modeled after the film. Scared kids sitting around a campfire. Plus the font used in the title is exactly the same as the film. And the bloody 13.

Of course, the title and the artwork don’t guarantee that the game itself would have borne any resemblance to the movies...much like Friday the 13th: The Series. Just a thought.

Finally, someone else who likes the 32X

Hey I love the 32x as well. I pretty much love every piece of videogame hardware I've gone through and the 32x definitely has it's place as far as cool games I've played.

Incidentally have you tried the recent release of Gens? 32x emulation has come a long way.. matter of fact I just got through playing a nice round of 32x Virtua Racer Deluxe and a little bit of 32x Doom right here in a little window next to AtariAge. :) ..course I could always break out the console but sometimes that gets a little difficult ;)

I would imagine a VCS version of Airplane! might not quite have the same zaniness to it as the film...

Player 1: "Look! Ha HA! The crew has turned to jelly!"

Player 2: "I don't get it... they are still all pink and blocky"

Player 1: "HA! HA ha! 'Joey... do you like films about gladiators?'"

Player 2: "What?!?! ...Can we play Skeet Shoot?"

Any ideas on the "Muffett" game play? The box kinda gives the idea that it was to be a new twist on the curds and whey story: IE add a gun...

The Fall Guy does exist in a prototype for the Colecovision. I actually played it a long time ago back in the 80's when I was the games editor for the Norern Illinois Adam Users Group (NIAD) I know you can download it and play it on ADAMEm, but I can't remember where to get it. It's a decent game. first part is a 3rd person driving game, and the second part is a platformer. It's a bit hard at first, but once you get the timing down, it's quite fun.