IGNORED

*I won a 6-switch Atari 2600 on eBay w/Box (for $22): is it a Heavy Sixer?

Largo2000

Hey guys. I am now in da Club...

Got my Atari 2600 today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

I believe this is a heavy sixer. The guy told me that this unit was made in CA (after looking on the label underneath the unit). There is no serial on the box. Can someone help me on this by simply looking at the pic?

If this unit works, is $22 a decent price? What price are these 6-switch units go for with a box like this?

- Largo

Edited by Largo2000

Got my Atari 2600 today.

I believe this is a heavy sixer. The guy told me that this unit was made in CA. There is no serial on the box.

If this unit works, is $22 a decent price? What price are these unit go for?

- Largo

It's a heavy sixer, you got a pretty good deal if it works...

Unfortunately when a seller states "as-is and untested" that usually means broken. I hope it works, keep us updated :)

I will keep you guys updated Crazy Climber...

I emailed the seller, and he insured me that it is truly "untested" i.e. not he is not capable of testing it due to the fact that he lacks a cartridge.

Oh well, I am thinking: for $20 + ship it is worth the risk for a sixer in box...

- Largo

BTW: Re my post regarding Krok cart (see Wanted section) ... if this works I really need one now! Just tested the Atarimax for ColecoVision tonight and omg! What a nice piece of software/hardware.

Everything I've ever bought "untested" worked just fine. In fact, I picked up a heavy sixer and a 4 switch (consoles only), like that locally a couple of days ago and they both work.

Even the stuff I've bought as known dead has been easily repairable.

I am more with Crazy on this one BigO.

I mean, I have been doing business on eBay long enough to know that you have been very lucky.

"Untested" and "As Is" are usually keywords for: Not working and Junk...

Like I said, for $20 I get at least the box and maybe a 2nd set of controllers :)

Bottom line: I wish I would be as lucky as you BigO, but I would not recommend this strategy to a friend... :roll:

- Largo

Edited by Largo2000

I mean, I have been doing business on eBay long enough to know that you have been very lucky.

Like I said, for $20 I get at least the box and maybe a 2nd set of controllers :)

Bottom line: I wish I would be as lucky as you BigO, but I would not recommend this strategy to a friend... :roll:

- Largo

Well, I've never been particularly lucky in any other way so I guess it had to happen eventually. :)

I'll bet a nickel that it works. Let us know.

Oh, and don't worry. I don't encourage my friends to buy Atari at all. I just give them my extra stuff and buy extra just for that purpose occasionally. Nobody seems to complain about it that way. ;)

- Largo

Well, I've never been particularly lucky in any other way so I guess it had to happen eventually. :)

Oh, and don't worry. I don't encourage my friends to buy Atari at all. I just give them my extra stuff and buy extra just for that purpose occasionally. Nobody seems to complain about it that way. ;)

Well BigO, I wish I had friends like ya.

For all the kids out there: dont bid on "as is" or "untested" stuff until u have $$$ to spare ok?

This and roulette is pretty much the same :D

Can't wait to get it... no Krok Cart though. Come'on please make more!!!

- Largo

- Largo

Well BigO, I wish I had friends like ya.

For all the kids out there: dont bid on "as is" or "untested" stuff until u have $$$ to spare ok?

This and roulette is pretty much the same :D

Can't wait to get it... no Krok Cart though. Come'on please make more!!!

- Largo

Good thing that I don't have many friends. I don't have all that much spare money. :)

If this unit works, is $22 a decent price? What price are these 6-switch units go for with a box like this?

- Largo

$5100 :)

I still have my doubts on that system, and I had written the seller regarding that. He's (and the buyer) went on a lot of assumptions without actually opening the thing and I still think its a '78 sixer and not a heavy.

I still have my doubts on that system, and I had written the seller regarding that. He's (and the buyer) went on a lot of assumptions without actually opening the thing and I still think its a '78 sixer and not a heavy.

And what did the seller say?

Basically questioned if I knew what I was talking about or just guessing.

- Largo

Hey wgungfu, what makes you think its a "light" sixer? Are all those made in CA in '78 were?

Not really sure how to verify and once I get it, I will update you guys :P

- Largo

Hey wgungfu, what makes you think its a "light" sixer? Are all those made in CA in '78 were?

Its a heavy sixer -- the thick molding (approx 1/2 inch think) along the sides is a dead give-away.

Wasn't talking about your system, was referring to the $5000 auction link posted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What does the Largo in your name stand for? Not the place Glen Phillips plays and has a CD made there called "Live at Largo" is it? Maybe yoyr Glen? LOL, anyhow, let me know and nice system you got there, Paddles as well.

Stands for "Largo Winch"... it a French comic series.

I used to read when I was kid.

I think they made a game and a TV show about it actually...

Got my Atari 2600 today.

I believe this is a heavy sixer. The guy told me that this unit was made in CA (after looking on the label underneath the unit). There is no serial on the box. Can someone help me on this by simply looking at the pic?

- Largo

--- UPDATE ---

Finally! I was able to test my unit last night (I was away on vacation for a month in Europe...)....

Anyway, and...

IT WORKS JUST FINE!!! :D

Noneless to say, I am quite happy...

Now I just need a Krok cart! (see my other post if someone wants to sell its Kart...)

- Largo

Edited by Largo2000

Got my Atari 2600 today.

- Largo

Also, please note that this unit was made in California and NOT in Taiwan. Even better I Guess...