IGNORED

O'Shea LTD raises price to $5!

Albert

Yup i mentioned this in a 7800 thread, it went from $2 to $3 to $5 in about 2 weeks time after Classicatari closed, they must be getting low on stock now, heh i say by the end of the year they will be $10

Im just glad i got a bunch from Classicatari before they closed

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

Yup i mentioned this in a 7800 thread, it went from $2 to $3 to $5 in about 2 weeks time after Classicatari closed, they must be getting low on stock now, heh i say by the end of the year they will be $10

I wouldn't be so sure that they're running low on stock, although I do see they've run out of several titles. I'm guessing that they figure if they can sell 'em all at $5, that's an additional $3 per item, which is a considerable amount. Even if it means they won't sell them as quickly, they only have a finite supply so it's in their best interest to make as much money as they can from each sale (without charging obscene prices, that is, which would only serve to scare people away).

..Al

The recent interest in all things Atari probably has a lot to do with the way O'Shea's has adjusted their pricing. $2 a cart back in the late 90's was just right...not too many people that I know cared that much about Atari. Paying $2 for a 2600 game seemed like a pretty stupid thing to do. But now, things are different. Retro gaming is popular and O'Shea's knows this, thus adjusting their pricing. I highly doubt they are running low on stock...they advertise the fact that they have millions of carts in their warehouse.

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Monkey:

That is a large increase all right....

The $32.00 order I made for 40 games in 1998 would cost me $200.00 now. Ouch!

No kidding. I think I bought at least $100 of these games when they were 80 cents.. $100 worth would be 125 games, which would now cost $625. Ouch is right!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

$100 worth would be 125 games, which would now cost $625. Ouch is right!

I wonder if he still gives a discount for bulk purchases. Even when the price went to $2.00, you could still get them for $0.80 if you bought 1000. If you can still get that price for that quantity, it would be cheaper to buy 1000 ($800) than to buy 200 ($1000).

The funeral over, the saddened group left the graveside. 

It was when the gravediggers started their task that strange things began to take place.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

I wonder if he still gives a discount for bulk purchases. Even when the price went to $2.00, you could still get them for $0.80 if you bought 1000.

I bet he won't sell them to you at that price now. People could easily undercut his new prices if he sold games at 80 cents in bulk. And let's face it, who's going to buy 1000 games and keep them for his or her collection?

..Al

quote:

I bet he won't sell them to you at that price now.

I shouldn't think so. But maybe you can still get some discount for buying in bulk.

Oh well, looks like I can't restock this year.

Sometimes those agencies want to have me arrested.

But other times there are compensations.

Sometimes I even hit a lucky day.

But then... then...

Looking back to when i got 90% of my 7800 games from Biglots, i bet they got them all from O'shae's back in the early 90's (maybe)

but all the games were 2600/7800 games new and shrinkwrapped and between $1 and $3 per game, it was the best thing i ever got from Biglots

quote:

Someone just dropped us a line to let us know that O'Shea has raised the price of the 2600 and 7800 games they are selling from $2 to $5 a game. Talk about a price hike, wow.

..Al

Funny, I just swung by their site this week as well and noticed the price increase. As with most dealers, when they see a little interest, they raise their prices to gorge as much $$$ as possible.

When we tried to get Oshea to come to CGE 99, he said it wasn't worth his while and shortly after that, he told me that he was considering selling his entire stock for scrap (gold contacts). Funny how a little exposure in some magazines (maxim and others) changed his mind so quickly.

I would think sooner or later the exposure and interest will stop, and then hopefully, we'll see a return to more reasonable prices.

John

quote:

Originally posted by CX2K:

When we tried to get Oshea to come to CGE 99, he said it wasn't worth his while and shortly after that, he told me that he was considering selling his entire stock for scrap (gold contacts). Funny how a little exposure in some magazines (maxim and others) changed his mind so quickly.

That's amusing, I wonder how much the lot would have been worth sold for "scrap". That gold must be pretty valuable to go through all the effort to rip all that packaging apart, plus the cart, to get at it. I bet he's glad he didn't go that route!! Although if he had, all those titles would be a bit rarer than they are now. Well, maybe not.

It'll probably be 20 years before he sells out of all those titles. By then the price will be up to $50 a title (not including inflation, which means they'll probably be $200 each.) Maybe by then the hoopla will have died down?

..Al

It'll probably be 20 years before he sells out of all those titles. By then the price will be up to $50 a title (not including inflation, which means they'll probably be $200 each.) Maybe by then the hoopla will have died down?

I remember when he attempted to sell all of the games on eBay in 1998ish. The final bid on them (he stated that there were 50,000 games) was around $20,000, but that didn't meet the reserve so he just kept selling them at his Web site I guess.

I've emailed him to try to get a deal for the GOAT Store, but he hasn't wanted anything to do with us for a while (not too big of a surprise, I guess since we are direct competition) but he has also complained a lot about not having enough warehouse space...

I am glad that I managed to get my games from him when I did. I got one of each of the 2600/7800 games that he had available at 0.80 cents each. I still have them in the boxes untouched (I have other sets that I actually use). I wonder how much this is going to hurt his sales by raising the price to $5.