IGNORED

Nintendo may retire "Game Boy" name

128bytes

I gotta admit, the GBA kind of took me by surprise, back in the day. I didn't think it was going to be such a hit, the formfactor and screen dimensions just seemed odd, and then all those Mario rereleases (with "hey! this one has the original mario bros! again!") Now I can see the beauty of having the portable equivalent of an SNES was...

One thing the Gameboy line should get credit for: perpetuating the idea of backwards compatibility.

let's go down the list:

it is a portable system

plays GBA games

Can use an extension(3rd party) to play GBC-GB games

Unlike the GB micro which only plays GBA games!

If the nintendo DS cannot be called a GameBoy DS , then they made a bad move.

I still call it a gameboy, my friends do. My family does. Why can't nintendo? :(

At least for me this news puts the definitive nail in the coffin that the "Mega Man Collection" for Gameboy is never coming out. At one time you could pre-order it on Capcom's site. After waiting 6-9 months and them not even putting out a definite release date, I asked for my pre-order money back and they happily refunded it. (Good customer service - a shocker I know.) Not long after they delisted it. Ever since then it's been a "rumor" on websites everywhere with no tangible proof. I think if the Gameboy name is dead, the game is 10000% dead.

I like the QS idea! Combine it with some Wii controllers and you have a crazy experience.

I'm trying to figure out the game on each screen...

Upper left: Hard Drivin, just past the cow barn

Upper right: I guess that's the overhead radar

Lower left: some kind of flight simulator

Lower right: Asteroids?

:lol: Sorry about the shittty drawing. It was like 5 minutes in paint. But yeah, the top left would be some generic raceing game, the top right would be the radar for said game, and the Lower screens were supposed to be the "consumer designed" controller, the D pad, and abxy buttons....just as shitty drawn as I would probably draw them in the Picto chat of the DS :P

Actually, if Nintendo made it, I'd see the most likely "build your own controller" option would probably be select from a list of controller parts (wheel, dpad, abxy buttons, keyboard, etc) and drag and drop them where you want them...or something like that.

let's go down the list:

it is a portable system

plays GBA games

Can use an extension(3rd party) to play GBC-GB games

Unlike the GB micro which only plays GBA games!

If the nintendo DS cannot be called a GameBoy DS , then they made a bad move.

I still call it a gameboy, my friends do. My family does. Why can't nintendo? :(

Actually, I still call it a Gameboy, even if that's not in it's name. For some reason...DS just never pops into my head...though just honestly....I never really liked the DS much for DS stuff.

And uh...a third party adaptor to play GB/GBC games on the DS? I'd definately get one of those. Hell, that's probably the top gripe I have with the thing (only slightly edging out the two screens instead of one big one) What's it called? Where can I get one? I'm going to go to Ebay...and it'll probably work with the micro too...unless it's got a DS card or osmething with it (I don't see why, it only needs to provide a 5v current to run the GBC card...technically)

Anyhow. Yeah...GameBoy will never die (untill all us geezers that remember the thing do)

There's more than just two games left for it, although it will certainly be dead after the holidays. I've been keeping a site chronicling the death of the GBA and it's a slow death so far.

GBA 07

By the way, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix just came out last Wednesday.

I picked up a copy for my daughter and she loves it

• 2 weeks later...