IGNORED

My New Controllers - PROBLEMS HELP

atari5200dude

I just got my new controllers and ALREADY one has a problem i used it and then put it away, I was playing super breakout and first the paddle on screen did not even show up then I pressed start about 3 or 5 times and the paddle showed up then the paddle on screen moved on its own, I paused the game then unpaused it and the onscreen paddle disappeared, and on several occasions the paddle just moves to the right wall and stays there, any ideas because the other controller works fine because i plugged that into port 1 and nothing went wrong, I just got these from atari2600.com this is a 4 port system

please help!

sounds like one of the pots inside the controller is going wacky... Contact Cleaner? Or maybe the joystick is not aligned with the pots inside. Also could be a short in the wire.

Are they rebuilt, or brand new? Otherwise, contact atari2600.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

Now the controllers joystick and fire buttons have just stopped responding, I messaged atari2600.com, I am hoping that they will exchange the controllers and compensate for the 10.00$ it costs to package it and send it to them

I highly recommend seeking out a Wico. You don't need its rarer keypad, as long as you have a 5200 controller with at least a working start button. The Wico is far more reliable and a better controller in general. Just wish I could tell you where to get one.

Edited by Brian R.

I recommend getting a Redemption adapter.

But it doesn't look like they're available.

And what are the trade-offs when it comes to using certain controllers, and button availability? If you use a Sega Genesis pad or 7800 pad, will you have two fire buttons, or only one?

I just got my new controllers and ALREADY one has a problem i used it and then put it away, I was playing super breakout and first the paddle on screen did not even show up then I pressed start about 3 or 5 times and the paddle showed up then the paddle on screen moved on its own, I paused the game then unpaused it and the onscreen paddle disappeared, and on several occasions the paddle just moves to the right wall and stays there, any ideas because the other controller works fine because i plugged that into port 1 and nothing went wrong, I just got these from atari2600.com this is a 4 port system

please help!

Never buy anything from them except games, looks like another one learned the hard way.

BEST ELECTRONICS PERIOD....

I have had my lifetime controllers for over three years, no problems ever.

Or build one yourself. I just finished mine up tonite and it works awesome. I get two button support with a genny pad or I can use a standard atari stick. For around $10 bought enough parts online to make three.

Here's a link to the plans I followerd. FYI there are a few errors and ommision though in this write-up.

post-7533-1184910570_thumb.jpg

Now the controllers joystick and fire buttons have just stopped responding, I messaged atari2600.com, I am hoping that they will exchange the controllers and compensate for the 10.00$ it costs to package it and send it to them

Probably the controller cable is what is causing the issue - if you constantly jiggle the cable and try pressing the non working buttons, if you get intermittent response then that is your problem.

But it doesn't look like they're available.

And what are the trade-offs when it comes to using certain controllers, and button availability? If you use a Sega Genesis pad or 7800 pad, will you have two fire buttons, or only one?

2 fire buttons :)

I have the 7800 version and use a modded NES Pad.

The Sega version supports both fire buttons as well.