IGNORED

how many lynx's were sold?

phuzaxeman

Good question. Atari sold 1.5 million or more Lynx units a year from the release date of Oct. 11th 1989 until the Summer of 1992 when "Batman Returns" was released on June 19th.After the movie and Lynx game tie-in excitement had come and gone Lynx sales started to slump.You also must remember this was the time of the " Jack T/Atari/Epyx" fiasco and the "Lynx Game Drought of 1992",too.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

Good question. Atari sold 1.5 million or more Lynx units a year from the release date of Oct. 11th 1989 until the Summer of 1992 when "Batman Returns" was released on June 19th.After the movie and Lynx game tie-in excitement had come and gone Lynx sales started to slump.You also must remember this was the time of the " Jack T/Atari/Epyx" fiasco and the "Lynx Game Drought of 1992",too.

So we're looking at what? 6 - 7 million units? That's pretty respectable for a handheld system that doesn't have the Nintendo name attached to it... Even the PSP has only managed about double that over the last three years...

thats alot of lynx's...do you know how many jaguars sold?

That sounds too excessive to me. In the February 1992 issue of Atari User, Atari had announced at the recent Winter CES that they had just sold their one millionth Lynx game cartridge.

Remember as well, the Lynx was available in mass quantities until the spring of 1990, with availability in 1989 limited to test markets and less than 100,000 units shipped in time for Christmas. Likewise, by the time the Jaguar came out in 1993, the Lynx was virtually dead with even Atari themselves scaling back on releases.

I don't know what the actual Lynx unit figures are but I'd be surprised if they were more than a million units sold.

They were selliing Lynx bundles with games in Electronics Boutiques as late as 1996-97. That's where I bought my first Lynx.

I bought one of those as well, too. They had all but disappeared from the market when Atari decided to liquidate stock and sell off Lynx 2's with four games.

Mine came with (I think) Shadow Of The Beast, Checkered Flag, Pinball Fantasies and Pit Fighter.

That sounds too excessive to me. In the February 1992 issue of Atari User, Atari had announced at the recent Winter CES that they had just sold their one millionth Lynx game cartridge.

Remember as well, the Lynx was available in mass quantities until the spring of 1990, with availability in 1989 limited to test markets and less than 100,000 units shipped in time for Christmas. Likewise, by the time the Jaguar came out in 1993, the Lynx was virtually dead with even Atari themselves scaling back on releases.

I don't know what the actual Lynx unit figures are but I'd be surprised if they were more than a million units sold.

Atari was gonna use the Lynx console for a special feature for AVP on the Jaguar....... :cool:

Atari was gonna use the Lynx console for a special feature for AVP on the Jaguar....... :cool:

Yeah ... I was *pumped* about that idea when it was discussed. I had just got my Lynx+4 games deal and was saving up for my Jaguar. The think was supposed to be a tricorder or something.

Alas, didn't happen. The Lynx was quietly killed off, the feature wasn't in the released game and that was that.

Still loved AvP though. Dated now, but pretty damn cool back then.The licensing must have been really expensive ... I was always surprised that Atari didn't make it a packin instead of Cybermorph for Christmas 1994, before the PSX came out. My gut feeling was that they couldn't really afford to do so.

Yeah ... I was *pumped* about that idea when it was discussed. I had just got my Lynx+4 games deal and was saving up for my Jaguar. The think was supposed to be a tricorder or something.

Alas, didn't happen. The Lynx was quietly killed off, the feature wasn't in the released game and that was that.

Still loved AvP though. Dated now, but pretty damn cool back then.The licensing must have been really expensive ... I was always surprised that Atari didn't make it a packin instead of Cybermorph for Christmas 1994, before the PSX came out. My gut feeling was that they couldn't really afford to do so.

AVP was a pack-in in Japan!! :D :cool:

In Japan, American products often have a higher price point, which may have justified it there.

In Japan, American products often have a higher price point, which may have justified it there.

im sure buddy! :)

I agree. Then again, I've also heard figures which suggest that Atari only sold 750,000 lynxes and 350,000 Jags, numbers which seem ludicrously low. Perhaps a doubling of those low estimates -- to 1.5 mil and 750,000, respectively -- brings us to a more believable estimate.

I read that they sold somewhere around 250k-265k AVP carts(according to Rebellion). You never saw many AVP carts being blown out with old stock because they had sold out at the original retail price. Atari would've been dumb to give away an expensive cart that was it's best seller. If you look at the number of Jags supposedly sold or manufactured, AVP sold at almost a 1 to 1 ratio.

I can't believe that AvP would have sold at a nearly 1 to 1 ratio with the systems (or any game for that matter). Otherwise, you'd think that nearly every used system on eBay would have a copy with it... which definitely isn't the case. Maybe my reasoning is off...

Im a little surprised no one seem to know for sure how many Lynx where sold. I guess back in the days, Atari wasn't to keen on releasing sale figures. But after all this time, the figures still are unknown?

It would also be interesting to know what the Lynx sales numbers where in North America VS Europe. How well the Lynx did in the UK etc?

I remember when the Jaguar was released here in Sweden, the importer still had a lot of unsold Lynx, so the policy to the retailers was: If you want to sell the Jaguar in your store you have to carry the Lynx aswell. That force policy didn't exactly help the launch of the Jaguar here. But I guess they were getting desperate sitting on that mountain of unsold Lynx stuff.

From Newsbytes April 27th 1990:

Lynx has sold about 150,000 units in the U.S. and about 100,000 units in Japan to date.

So, there's 250,000... That's ONLY those two countries up to that point.. that's not including the UK, which it was popular there too.. The article goes on to say that 80,000 units per month were produced. So 640,000 units would have been made by the years end.

Does anybody know when the Lynx was officially discontinued or no longer made?

I can't believe that AvP would have sold at a nearly 1 to 1 ratio with the systems (or any game for that matter). Otherwise, you'd think that nearly every used system on eBay would have a copy with it... which definitely isn't the case. Maybe my reasoning is off...

Near the end when they were blowing out thousands Jag systems for $50 online and at Kaybee Toys, those people weren't buying AvP, it wasn't widely available then. It would've been mostly the early adopters. A lot of people probably sell it seperately because you can get a good amount for it.

Near the end when they were blowing out thousands Jag systems for $50 online and at Kaybee Toys, those people weren't buying AvP, it wasn't widely available then. It would've been mostly the early adopters. A lot of people probably sell it seperately because you can get a good amount for it.

I have no doubt that some people sell the game separately since it is a high value item. But if a game sold at a one-to-one ratio there would have to be an AvP cart out there for about every Jag including the ones at KayBee, right?

Or are people trying to calculate the numbers of Jags sold before clearance pricing like Kay Bee's? If that is the case then what you say makes perfect sense to me. I always figured the cheap Jags that Atari unloaded through retailers would be included in the numbers of Jags sold. But maybe not since the Jag was already not commercially viable at that point?

I have no doubt that some people sell the game separately since it is a high value item. But if a game sold at a one-to-one ratio there would have to be an AvP cart out there for about every Jag including the ones at KayBee, right?

No. They only made around 250-260k AvP carts. There were about 350k Jags made, of which probably the last 50k were the ones liquidated online and through Kay Bee. But those Jags were liquidated long after Avp was released. AvP is a high value item because there's this internet hype surrounding it as some Jag must-have. Personally, I think the game blows. It certainly isn't rare, even by Jag standards.

I always figured the cheap Jags that Atari unloaded through retailers would be included in the numbers of Jags sold. But maybe not since the Jag was already not commercially viable at that point?

By the time they were being blown out at KayBee, Atari was out of business, sold to JTS.

No. They only made around 250-260k AvP carts. There were about 350k Jags made, of which probably the last 50k were the ones liquidated online and through Kay Bee. But those Jags were liquidated long after Avp was released. AvP is a high value item because there's this internet hype surrounding it as some Jag must-have. Personally, I think the game blows. It certainly isn't rare, even by Jag standards.

I always figured the cheap Jags that Atari unloaded through retailers would be included in the numbers of Jags sold. But maybe not since the Jag was already not commercially viable at that point?

By the time they were being blown out at KayBee, Atari was out of business, sold to JTS.

humm,well AVP for its time WAS a killer game! and as far as the production numbers go i thought the Jaguar had made well over 350K consoles........guess i was wrong though :?: