IGNORED

Yard Sale Find

OldSchoolGamer88

Hey everyone. So I was out today at yard sales and I happond to actually find an Atari 5200. I have never seen anything Atari 5200 in the wild before...over my 8+ years of yard sales I have been to...aside from a couple games here and there. it had:

The Atari 5200 system with power cord, 2 controllers, Owners Manual, and switchbox manual...but no switchbox.

Frogger in the box w/ manual

Qbert int he box w. manual

Kangaroo with manual only

Countermeasure cart only

Pac-Man with manual only

Galaxian with manual

I asked em if it worked and they said it did the last time they used it(who knows how many years ago it was) It was all dusty as hell as well. I asked em how much they wanted and they asked me how much i'd pay. I actually said I'll give you $5 as its dirty as hell and you dont have the switchbox and no idea if it stilll works. They took it! I couldnt believe it.

So now I have my very own Atari 5200 after all these years of searching!!! I cant seem to get a picture on my TV with it when I use my switchbox for the Atari 2600 I have here. I dont know what to do there but ima try everything I can.

Anyone else ever get any great finds like this?

**EDIT**

I got it to show picture. My switchbox is fidgity...i'll need a new one but I got picture.

I am also quite happy I found this as I want to use those custom 5200 inserts and cases I saw someone made. Those will be nice.. :)

Edited by OldSchoolGamer88

Do you have a switchbox for the 5200?

I dont have an official 5200 switchbox no..I have a standard older switchbox I use for my Atari 2600's. I just am using that for now. At the end its fidgity so thats why I am having trouble getting a good picture.

Also I want to note the controlles dont seem to have all their buttons functioning...some buttons work on one and others work and dont on the other. So now once I can get some working controllers I will be in buisness!!!

Edited by OldSchoolGamer88

Is it a 2-port or 4-port model? (Controller port if you didn't already know)

Allan

It is a 2 port model. I do know what ports are..I do have about 30 other systems aside from this one laying arround here :).

Is one rarer than the other?

Not really. The two port is nice because it can play all the games (4-port with the original 4-port bios can't play three games). The 4-port is nice because you can have 4 players playing Tennis, Castle Crisis or Mule. I have both of course. :)

Allan

Is it a 2-port or 4-port model? (Controller port if you didn't already know)

Allan

It is a 2 port model. I do know what ports are..I do have about 30 other systems aside from this one laying arround here :).

Is one rarer than the other?

Not really. The two port is nice because it can play all the games (4-port with the original 4-port bios can't play three games). The 4-port is nice because you can have 4 players playing Tennis, Castle Crisis or Mule. I have both of course. :)

Allan

That sounds pretty cool. Any idea where I can find a working 5200 controller or 2? These 2 I have here suck...I cant play anything because tooo many buttons arnet functioning. I ant even move forward to play frogger...the hell is that? That is quite aggrivating but other than that its great..I will definitally cherish this system.

Allan

Actually you have it backwards. It's the 2port BIOS that won't play three games, the 4port bios will play everything. A standard 4port system won't with the 2600 adapter.

Mitch

When you buy a yard sale 5200 you have a 99.9999% chance of none of the controllers working correctly.

I believe that but its still great to find one in the wild. As I said...in over 8 years of yard sales I have never EVER seen one. I cant believe I got this one. I am extremly excited about it. Plus...for $5 with all that stuff..the games and such is an INCREDIBLE find...working controllers or not. The only place I have ever seen one of these in person is a used game store near me and they want $50.

ANYWAY....Where can I get a couple of working controllers? I need 2 of em as my GF will get a kick outa this system as well. She has never played a classic game until she met me and love the atari 2600(how can anyone not like that tho?)

Thanks

When you buy a yard sale 5200 you have a 99.9999% chance of none of the controllers working correctly.

I believe that but its still great to find one in the wild. As I said...in over 8 years of yard sales I have never EVER seen one. I cant believe I got this one. I am extremly excited about it. Plus...for $5 with all that stuff..the games and such is an INCREDIBLE find...working controllers or not. The only place I have ever seen one of these in person is a used game store near me and they want $50.

ANYWAY....Where can I get a couple of working controllers? I need 2 of em as my GF will get a kick outa this system as well. She has never played a classic game until she met me and love the atari 2600(how can anyone not like that tho?)

Thanks

htpp://www.atari2600.com/

TOTALLY OVERHAULED CONTROLLERS, New Everything! You Have to send in your broken ones or If you dont have them contact them. 5200 controllers are 25.00. After you send in YOUR controllers It takes a week or less for your new ones. They are reputable and they accept Checks, Money Orders and Credit Card and I think PayPal

Edited by atari5200dude

Allan

Actually you have it backwards. It's the 2port BIOS that won't play three games, the 4port bios will play everything. A standard 4port system won't with the 2600 adapter.

Mitch

opps, your right. I need some sleep. :)

Allan

Thanks

htpp://www.atari2600.com/

TOTALLY OVERHAULED CONTROLLERS, New Everything! You Have to send in your broken ones or If you dont have them contact them. 5200 controllers are 25.00. After you send in YOUR controllers It takes a week or less for your new ones. They are reputable and they accept Checks, Money Orders and Credit Card and I think PayPal

I am confused here. SO I can either pay $25 per controller or I can pay $25 per controller and send em mine. This is how I understand it...is this correct? so either way it would be $50 -_-

^

you have to send in your broken controllers and then they will send you 2 new ones

Yes but how much do I pay to get BOTH of the new ones? I am still a tad confused here. Sorry if I am souding retarded...its been a looong day.

You send in your controllers, pay them $25 per controller, and then they send you two refurbished controllers. I don't think they technically refurb and return the ones you send them, think of them as a trade in. I think they will sell you refurbed controllers without the trade in, but it will cost (a lot?) more.

^

you have to send in your broken controllers and then they will send you 2 new ones

Yes but how much do I pay to get BOTH of the new ones? I am still a tad confused here. Sorry if I am souding retarded...its been a looong day.

You send in your controllers, pay them $25 per controller, and then they send you two refurbished controllers. I don't think they technically refurb and return the ones you send them, think of them as a trade in. I think they will sell you refurbed controllers without the trade in, but it will cost (a lot?) more.

Well if that is the case I will wait awhile. $50 seems a tad much to spend for 2 controllers. I am new to 5200 but that seems to be a tad much for 2 controllers. Especially since I have to send em mine and am getting 2 different ones back. One of my controllers still havs the plastic over the logo. I dont want to loose that. Anyway i'll probbably be without any way to play my 5200 games for awhile. But atleast I got a nice system to look at :)

Good find.

But what has happened to the quality of information being provided here?

Have you ever seen an automotive store that sells a part, say a carbeurator, and they say there is a "core fee" of $$$ if you don't bring in your old carb?

This is the same deal. You send in a joystick, and $25, and they send you a repaired joystick... then they rebuild YOUR joystick, and they sell THAT to the next guy, who also sends in his joystick and $25... then they rebuild HIS joystick and...

Generally, you can just buy the part (in this case, the joystick), but it is more expensive, if you don't have a trade in.

You don't need a switchbox at all. If you buy one of those little adaptors that converts the RCA/COMP to coax, you can plug right into just about any cable ready TV without a switchbox. I think AtariAge sells them for about $4.50... but, you can also buy them off of e-bay or at Radio Shack. The same thing works for the Atari 2600, 7800, and just about anything sending one RF audio/video signal over a comp cable.

And your suck-ass joysticks probably just need to be cleaned, if the only problem is fire buttons not working. There is a link around here to a tutorial that will walk you through the whole process. It is fairly easy, and once done, you'll probably have a highly servicable 5200 joystick. With that said, if you were not an original owner of the 5200, then probably NO original 5200 joystick solution is ever going to sit well with you. You're probably best off biting the bullet and buying a 5200 redemption adapter (unfortunately, only available here on AtariAge, so I can't snarkily suggest that you buy this from eBay or Radio-shack)...

I'd generally be more helpful and actually link you to the proper threads or sites where you can find the stuff I'm talking about, but I have a new policy of not doing -too- much that makes this place useful for other people. Maybe some of the regulars/locals will belly up to the bar and actually help you out with the links, or you can try searching yourself. Good luck. The 5200 is a great system, but I wouldn't plunge right into buying new controllers or controller solutions until you find the joystick cleaning tutorial and give that a shot... and the little signal adapter is really worth the money, too.

And... finally, if you're not a DIY kinda guy willing to crack things open and try to fix them yourself, the 5200 is probably a bad system to collect. It is one of the more expensive retro consoles to collect *and* maintain. A real money pit. You've got to love the thing to do it... especially when all the unique titles have been ported to the 8 bit Atari and you can get those so cheap.

Edited by Paranoid

Allan

Mitch

Which 3 games won't play on the 2 Port?

Pitfall, Krazy Shootout, And one other...that escape me right now.

As for the cleaning tutorial pages...

http://members.cox.net/crossbow777/guides/...5200_rep_gd.htm

Or the flash encoded guide here:

http://members.cox.net/crossbow777/guides/...asic_flash.html

Ask any questions you need to.

I'd generally be more helpful and actually link you to the proper threads or sites where you can find the stuff I'm talking about, but I have a new policy of not doing -too- much that makes this place useful for other people.

WTF, dude!??!?? Ya know, if you don't want to help or participate, why write half a book chapter to say so?

At least you burdened yourself to tell him about the direct connection to the TV. The switchbox is not needed.

As for new controllers or replacement parts, I'd suggest Best Electronics. And, oh this is so much effort, here's the link... www.best-electronics-ca.com. Boy, I'm exhausted.

I can also recommend that if your 5200 isn't putting out that good an image, Best has new two-port motherboards available for $35.

I don't think there's anything particularly expensive about the 5200. Many of the basic games are readily available. The only issue is the controllers. I keep seeing people recommend getting the Redemption unit, but it is not currently available. A Wico is good if you can find it. But - OPINION ALERT, DON'T BLOW A GASKET IF THIS OPINION DIFFERS FROM YOURS - the original 5200 controllers sucked in the 80s, and they suck now. And thinking that they suck doesn't make you or anyone else less of a "gamer."

As for fixing them yourself, thing is, for many people, once you get them open, you'll never be able to get them back together again.

I do have two 8-bits, an 800XL and an XEGS. I prefer using the 5200. Just a "feel" issue. I think it's Atari's most impressive looking game machine, console and carts.

But what has happened to the quality of information being provided here?

Have you ever seen an automotive store that sells a part, say a carbeurator, and they say there is a "core fee" of $$$ if you don't bring in your old carb?

This is the same deal. You send in a joystick, and $25, and they send you a repaired joystick... then they rebuild YOUR joystick, and they sell THAT to the next guy, who also sends in his joystick and $25... then they rebuild HIS joystick and...

Generally, you can just buy the part (in this case, the joystick), but it is more expensive, if you don't have a trade in.

Not sure what your complaint about the "quality of information" is, didn't I say exactly the same thing about the controllers?

You're probably best off biting the bullet and buying a 5200 redemption adapter (unfortunately, only available here on AtariAge, so I can't snarkily suggest that you buy this from eBay or Radio-shack)...

Unfortunately, those have been unavailable for some time now, with little chance of coming back in the forseeable future

"what happenned to the redemption?"

SRGilbert...

I wasn't talking about your post in the lack of information provided, I was talking about the other stuff that wasn't mentioned, through a BUNCH of posts, by people who *know* this stuff.

In all fairness, the people who GENERALLY post the most helpful information about the 5200 for every newbie that arrives seem to generally be posting less on Atariage than they used to...

But I think some of the earliest regular posters here in this thread almost certainly know that...

You don't need a switchbox, unless you have a 4 port, and only then to supply power to the console.

That 99% of "broken" 5200 sticks simply need to be cleaned.

That MANY people have the opinion that the 5200 controller stinks, or simply cannot adapt to it, depending on your perspective - and that digital solutions like the Redemption adapter are very popular alternative controllers. (Although I did not know that it was out of production. Sweet. Something else like my CC2 which now starts to appreciate radically because of lunatic collectors, that I got right before it went out of production. Honestly, my prediction, having not read the thread, is that it will come back into stock eventually, just like the Stelladaptor).

As far as getting the controllers open and then not being able to put them back together... the only time I've had a REAL difficult go of that is when the top rubber boot is missing, which makes it damn hard to align the stick into the little cup... but even then, with preserverence, I finally got it done. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to put a 5200 controller back together. And, if your sticks are BROKEN, and you're looking at $25-50 to repair/replace them, what is the harm in cracking them open to see if you can fix them yourself?

2600 console... anywhere from about $10-20 for a common one... 7800 console, $15, average... Atari 8 bit computer, 800xl, about $15-20. Atari 5200, average price, console, almost always with non-100% sticks, $35. Gold dot kits, the trackball, the 5200 is just one of the more expensive retro consoles to collect, in general. And you're GOING to need some kind of controller solution with a 5200. Especially if you can't crack the sticks open and clean them yourself. That is probably the #1 major reason why the 5200 is "more" expensive to collect for.

I did want to help and participate. I knew once I mentioned these things, other people would provide the links... and now the guy who posted the original topic has been helped and is better informed. That is my contibution. But if you guys DON'T want to be helpful and make Atariage a place that BENEFITS new users with lots of clear, accurate information.. I'm not going to FORCE you guys to do it... I'm sure one of the other Atari forums on the web would eventually replace Atariage if that were the case for long enough. I wouldn't shed any tears over that coming to pass.