IGNORED

Todd's Adventures in Slime World... for the Sega Genesis?

jimid2

My son and I were out retro game shopping yesterday and we came across a copy of Todd's Adventures in Slime World as a Sega Genesis cart. Now I knew Epyx had done California Games for the Genesis but had no idea that this existed. Needless to say we picked it up, but we haven't had a chance to play it yet (we bought about a dozen games, and spent most of yesterday evening with Aero Blasters on the TG16). Has anyone else tried this? Is it a direct port or is it a reworking for the Genni? Here's a pic I swiped off E(vil)bay:

post-13426-1185104550_thumb.jpg

It's pretty similar to the Lynx version, though I prefer the Lynx's soundtrack by a long shot. The big difference here is that the one screen on the Genesis version displays the same in-game-space as four screens of the Lynx version. The Genesis version has some nicer graphics in some spots, like the parallax scrolling as Todd traverses the planet's surface.

Maybe. ;)

post-12969-1185360051_thumb.png

The Genesis/Megadrive version features smaller sprites, and when slime falls on your character, it instantly disappears. Also, the levels no longer pulsate, and over 50% of the screen is green.

But it is playable, if you're hellbent on fun with it...

Edited by A Sprite

PC Engine Slime World Review.

Translated, it says..

the play is frankly super-ugly

The sprites are very small, the setting colors of bad taste and, one will never repeat it enough, the special effects really miss.

one will not have to be allergic to the color green-snot...

And still, it is nothing compared to the scenes of combat, never miserly in monster kitsch, and which straightforwardly allow the luxury of slow down AND flicker!

... In short, horror.

avoid quietly.

They prefer the Lynx version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
its fun playing the Gen version online tho :)

I remember a friend and myself renting this piece of junk from Blockbuster and feeling gypped.

The awful green colour was very garish and quite depressing looking.

The black/blue of the Lynx and PC EngineCD version was much better for drama and looks.