IGNORED

RF to A/V Converter?

Draugr

Hi,

I am looking for a way to hook up my Colecovision/Intellivision and Atari systems to my old Commodore 64 monitor. The old consoles all use RF out ports, but the Commodore monitors only have A/V inputs. Is there a converter out there that goes from RF to A/V? Preferably a switchbox type unit hat allows hooking up 3 or 4 units to one Monitor with A/V ports only. Please let me know.

Thanks

John

I would think you could find the right comination of adapters and switchboxes at Radio Shack to put something together for less than $20.

Try this:

1. RF (female) to coaxial (male) adapter

2. Coaxial to A/V (3 RCA plugs, male) adapter or cord (You may need a coaxial coupler in here, depending on the gender of the coaxial on this adapter.)

3. Multi-input switchbox (I'm not sure EXACTLY what Radio Shack offers in this area. But I have a coaxial A/B switchbox from RS. You might use this in between steps 1 and 2 above.)

I have often had chains of 5 or 6 varied adapters from Radio Shack stuck together to get all kinds of weird set-ups to work. Just comb through their selection and see what you can stick together!

1. RF (female) to coaxial (male) adapter

2. Coaxial to A/V (3 RCA plugs, male) adapter or cord (You may need a coaxial coupler in here, depending on the gender of the coaxial on this adapter.)

3. Multi-input switchbox (I'm not sure EXACTLY what Radio Shack offers in this area. But I have a coaxial A/B switchbox from RS. You might use this in between steps 1 and 2 above.)

It's not really a matter of adapters. The Atari and Colecovision have the correct plug to go right into the back of a Commodore monitor. But it's not the right kind of signal (RF instead of composite video). I think the easiest solution is to use a broken VCR as a tuner (that's what I do too.)

-Paul

Scott:

He still needs a tuner to convert to the Commodore Monitor AV inputs.

The Atari video/audio modification will permit direct connection to the Commodore Monitor .. and delivers a superb picture.

I have a standalone TV tuner I use for the Bally Astrocade and the Intellivision.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I think I may have spoken incorrectly.

I've done lots of weird adapter arrangements, but not EXACTLY what I'm describing here.

I have a special converter box that cost about $30 that I use to convert line input (the RCA plugs for video plus left and right audio) into coaxial, so I can run DVD output from my computer into my TV that does NOT have any line inputs. Judging by the fact that I need this box, I would guess a similar device would be needed for conversion the other way... coaxial to RCA. So I guess I will shut up now. :|

I also need an answer to this question, as we will have several 2600s and 5200s on display at CGE and I need a good way to convert their RF outputs into composite, or even better, s-video. I also need a good way to split audio and video signals into multiple (2) sources, for reasons that will become obvious at the show.

I'll greatly appreciate any insight into reasonable-cost solutions. I may need upwards of *four* devices to convert RF into composite/s-video, and *four* devices to split the video/audio (mainly just video) into two sources.

..Al

Albert:

Can you just get 4 broken VCRs? They're bulky, but I don't think you'll find a more inexpensive way. You can pick up a few at some thrift stores for really cheap. Maybe you could take your video camera just to make sure their tuners are working.

Once the signal is converted to A/V you can just get a Y-RCA cable from Radio Shack to split the video. I don't think you'll get any significant loss doing this. I have two monitors set up in my room this way.

BTW: You can spray paint the VCRs to make them look cooler. I have a blue one. :)

-Paul

Can you just get 4 broken VCRs? They're bulky, but I don't think you'll find a more inexpensive way. You can pick up a few at some thrift stores for really cheap. Maybe you could take your video camera just to make sure their tuners are working.

Yeah, that is a possibility, but if I can get a small box for like $20-$30 to do it, I'd rather go that route. I'll already be touting an incredible amount of hardware/software/other items to the show, so anything I can do to help cut down on that bulk will be a big help. Plus four VCRs are more of a pain to setup and they take up valuable space (probably on the floor under one of the tables, but we'll need a lot of that space as it is!)

Once the signal is converted to A/V you can just get a Y-RCA cable from Radio Shack to split the video. I don't think you'll get any significant loss doing this. I have two monitors set up in my room this way.

I need to run down to Radio Shack (or Fry's) and get a few splitters so I can try it out and see if the picture is acceptable. I'm pretty anal about stuff like this and will want as good as picture as I can reasonably get, since these displays will be running like this for the entire length of the show.

BTW: You can spray paint the VCRs to make them look cooler. I have a blue one. :)

Ha ha! As I mentioned earlier these would probably just get shoved under the table where no one could see them. If I do bring VCRs, they will probably be functioning models that I actually (rarely) use, so I don't think I'll be spray painting them!!

..Al

If you have an atari 2600 4 switch, go over to Atari Hardware on the forums and look at my a/v mod!

Well, I already have one S-Video 7800 system, so that will definitely be one of the systems hooked up. Alex *may* have one as well by the time CGE rolls around, so we'll be using that one also. We may only need to hook up two 5200s using RF output. I wonder if there's an easy way to modify a 5200 for composite or S-Video. That would be ideal, and then I'd only have to worry about splitting the video signal (I'm not as concerned about the audio). :)

I'll go take a look at your mod. Is it for composite or s-video?

..Al

that is a possibility, but if I can get a small box for like $20-$30 to do it, I'd rather go that route. I'll already be touting an incredible amount of hardware/software/other items to the show, so anything I can do to help cut down on that bulk will be a big help

..Al

MCM has demodulators for $50, that's the cheapest I've found. Here's the page for them.

I have one that you are welcome to borrow for the show. Email me if you're interested.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org