IGNORED

What's the BIGGEST screen you've played a 2600 on?

Room 34

OK, this is a fairly stupid question. But I am just wondering what is the biggest screen you've played a 2600 on.

I knew a guy who had a home theater room... I mean a REAL theater... he had a 10-foot-wide screen built into the wall with a projection TV and surround sound, black curtains on the walls, soundproofed, the works.

NO, I did NOT play Atari on that TV. I'd have LIKED to.

I guess the biggest screen I've ever played it on was my grandma's old 23-inch console TV. Right now I have my 2600 and my Intellivision hooked up to a 20-inch TV in the basement, and my 7800 on a 13-inch in the bedroom.

So, what's the biggest screen YOU'VE played on?

I have an LCD projector I use in my classroom for presentations. Well the projector can also accept RCA inputs as well. I have a VCR hooked up to this. On several occasion when testing out VCSs that I have fixed I have hooked them up to this projector and thrown it up on the wall which screen size is only limited to the size of the wall. But I do have a pull down screen that I think is about 6 feet wide. Hehe...5200 dreadnaught on that baby was awesome! However, I never had more satisfaction killing the Quotile than when I played some Yars' up on that screen! The effect lit up the whole room and parts of the hallway...heheh..it is sooo cool.

:D

In the late '80s through the early '90s, my dad had this huge big-screen TV with front projection -- the three primary colors mixed together to create the picture, which then bounced off a mirror and landed on the screen. It was awesome playing Atari on it, during the few times he went out of town and I snuck my console into the living room, but it was much more blurry than a normal screen, because of the silly mirror thing. Indiana Jones, for instance, looked positively smudged in the darker Raiders scenes.

CF

Back when i got my first atari 2600 i wasnt allowed to play it on the living room tv which was a 25 inch, i had to use the old portable 13 inch black & white tv :(

but the biggest TV has to be my 27 inch tv which is plenty big enough

We regularly use the 51 inch in the living room for Warlords. I really dont care if its good for the TV or not, if it breaks, I get it fixed. Bought it to enjoy, right?

I have used the 100 inch projector in my classroom for games on game day. Usually, its Hydrothunder, but I have put Kaboom on there as well.

On an off topic, I would love to play SSX Tricky on a movie-sized screen. That would be unreal!

Cassidy

I have played the 2600 (and other game systems) on a screen projected out to 120 inches. A roommate a while back had a nice Sony projector that we usually used for movies, but would also play games on from time to time. One day we tried to play Warlords with four people. Let me just say, when you have to turn your head to see the ball it suddenly becomes a much more difficult game!! :)

..Al

Playing Atari on those older Big-screen TV's was actually very bad for them. You'll notice game companies started putting in disclaimers and warnings that you are under no circumstances to play video games on projection televisions. Something about burning the phosphor on the screen.

My big problem about the Atari is the utter lack of video output technology. The RF gameswitch leaves a rather poor signal that is prone to heat wave interference. I remember being quite frustrated by this back when I got the 2600 in 1982.

My big problem about the Atari is the utter lack of video output technology. The RF gameswitch leaves a rather poor signal that is prone to heat wave interference. I remember being quite frustrated by this back when I got the 2600 in 1982.

Have you tried one of the "direct" adapters that is just a small cylindrical device with a female RCA end and a male coaxial end? I am using one of those now with both my 2600 and my Intellivision and it works great... no interference at all!

They can be had for a couple bucks at Radio Shack... or you could bid way too much on one on eBay.

Speaking of huge screens, has anyone ever been to Gameworks in Auburn Hills? They have this weird game that uses FOUR enormous projection screens stacked to a height of about 20 feet in total. The gameplay is even weirder. Four people sit in these seats that move up and down on a big rail in synch with their hot air balloon on screen. It's unbelievable!

Hello all:

I am told that years back, Todd Rogers was brought by Activision to demonstrate certain games in front of large crowds. It is possible he played on a small screen that was linked to much bigger ones so the crowds could see better, or he played while looking on a larger screen.

I'l lask him and get back to you with the info.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)