IGNORED

Saturn... Is it still Modern?

Personally, I consider anything from before the 16-bits as classic and anything after, i.e. 32/64/128-bit as modern era still. This would include add-ons like the 32X and Segacd. The 16-bits are kind of in a limbo, but I'd lean towards classic more with every day that passes. Basically anything not yet 10 years old I feel is still modern era and not yet classic. This means that the Jaguar and 3DO will even fall into classic status next year, even though they can still compete with the likes of the Saturn or PSX in many cases. This, however, would also mean that an add-on like the Jaguar CD would not be considered classic until 2005, like the Saturn and PSX. :ponder: :)

the games of the 90s will ALWAYS be a grey area in this sense

i say its because "classic" can be claimed as either anything old, or anything truly great and a part of a tradition, hehe or just so long as they are both!

is the Saturn etched in the minds of most gamers the way NES or 2600 or genesis was? not really, did it have great games, yes not all were bad,

but i always follow this critera, not to detrimine if something is worth of classic status, BUT if its "modern" or not.....

if its on store shelves its modern , if its not, then its not modern anymore. i think itll be easier to call modern instead of classic, xboxb is morden game cube is modern. ......

Modern = Xbox, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, Dreamcast, GBA, PC and Nuon.

Everything else is not modern and from an Atari Age forum perspective, "classic" is the term chosen to mean "not modern".

Nuon and Dreamcast are on the cusp of becoming not modern.

Also, PC is both modern and not modern. A post about Leisure Suit Larry or Bard's Tale III would be more appropriate on classic.

I'll stick to my ten year limit myself. Of course, I consider anything that is from the 70's (20+ years old) to be "oldies" or even antiques in the electronics world, because technology changes so fast. I thought of this system based on cars being considered "classic" after 20-25 years, but with electronics changing so quickly, I cut that in half for consoles/computers. As far as considering something "classic" goes, all cars are considered classics after 20 or 25 years (forget which offhand), regardless of whether they were good cars or not. The same has been true for consoles/computers too...take the channel F console from the 70's for example. This system just reeks! It is a total flop with horrible games and technology that was already old when it was released, yet it's considered a classic and people collect for it if based on nothing other than rarity and collecting for the fun of collecting it. So I don't feel a system has to be "good" by some person's opinion, to be considered classic either. Some one also mentioned that the systems in the 90's are ALWAYS going to be a grey area. NOPE. Not once the 90's become a retro thing like every decade before has become at one point or another. Time marches on and eventually ALL systems will definately fit into the "classic" catagory at some point...just give it time.

To streamline my standard (not the same as Atari Age neccesarily), currently; '92-2002, modern era systems...'82-'92, classic systems...'72-'82, golden oldies/antiques/ultra classic, whatever...that's my view. That's what I'm sticking too, and that's how I'll decide when posting topics in the different catagories. I'll put anything I want to talk about to do with consoles since '92 in modern gaming and anything else in classic gaming forums, since there is nothing for what I consider to be "oldies" as in beyond classic. Of course if we're talking about ATARI products, luckily there are seperate forums for them so I don't have to "do the math" to figure out where to post for them...

heya Gunstar, can I ask 1 question about your 10 year theory. Is it 10 years after the system comes out, or 10 years after they stop releasing games?

From the time it comes out of course. It could get kind of crazy if you go with anything on how long the systems lasts in the market or until games aren't produced anymore...the 2600 had game published for it by ATARI until the early '90s and software, of professional quality is still being released for it...same with the Jaguar and Lynx, but they have been "dead" to the "main stream" for years. If we were to do it by software still released, that would make the Lynx and Jaguar modern systems and the Saturn and NeoGeo pocket classics, even thought the Saturn is newer and more powerful, so that just wouldn't work.