IGNORED

Black 2600

scrumpy

Better start sandbagging... here comes the flood.... :D

In the meantime, you can find some information here:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

The model identified simply as the "Atari 2600" is the Darth Vader. Same as the 4-switch woodgrain but with an "all-black" look.

Thanks for the response, I did look at that page but there didn't seem to be anything related (apart from the woodys) to the black 2600.

Wanted to know raelly about how rare, typical buy price for it today, how many were made etc... any problems/faults/features over the standard woody?..

Cheers,

Stu

I run across 4-switch wood grain models the most. Second in regularity is the black "Vader" models, closely followed by 2600 Jrs. I rarely see any 6-switchers or Sears video arcade units. I had my hands on a Columbia Home Arcade last fall but, stupidly, passed on it. I could kick myself. However, what I'd really love to get is a Sears Video Arcade II but I've yet to run across one of those at all.

Yeah.... I think the Vaders are pretty common. They were the model Atari produced from mid-'82 until they introduced the 2600jr in about '86 or '87. That said, that was not exactly a high-demand time period for the system. But I would guess it is most common after the 4-switch woodgrain.

I own 3 2600 systems: the 4-switch woodgrain I got back in '82, a Sears 6-switch made in 1981, and a Vader.

I have a number of vaders. They're very common, about as common as jr's. In other words, they're worth the same as any other 2600.

Technologically, they're identical, other than the fact that two switches are relocated to the back. In other words, they're the same as a 6 switcher.

In other words, it's just a 6 switcher that's been slightly redone cosmetically. Nothing big, but still a nice addition to have.

If you'd like more information, just read the 2600 faq. It's on this site somewhere....

In other words, it's just a 6 switcher that's been slightly redone cosmetically. Nothing big, but still a nice addition to have.

Actually, I disagree with this. Have you ever taken apart both a 6-switch and a 4-switch? They are a LOT different on the inside.

The 4-switch woody and the Vader are virtually identical inside, but the 4-switch was a major redesign, internally, from the 6-switch. Hence the designation change from CX2600 to CX2600A. Both the 4-switch woody and Vader are identified as CX2600A.

The boards on my two 4-switchers are routed slightly differently. The etching on the back of the motherboard of my woody identifies it as Rev. 12, whereas the board on my Vader is Rev. 16. And they were only made a few months apart! The differences between these two are nothing, however, when compared to the innards of my Sears 6-switch, made in 1981.

Does anyone know how many revisions the 6-switch went through?

Yeah.... I think the Vaders are pretty common. They were the model Atari produced from mid-'82.

There should be a piece of paper taped to the board on the inside of it, those say the date don't they, mine was unreadable

The paper on my Vader has a somewhat cryptic code.

The 4-switch woody I got as a kid was clearly marked "7 JAN 1982".

My 6-switch Sears was also clearly marked, "14 MAR 1981".

But my Vader was marked "72.10.28". I am guessing, since I'm fairly sure Vaders weren't made until later in 1982, that this means 27 October 1982. But I'm not sure.