IGNORED

Atari on GameCube

Wasn't sure if this got around, but according to the new video clip released by Infogrames, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters - Melee is going to be an Atari branded product.

One of the games I am most looking forward to and it's got the Atari brand on it.

Feels good... :)

But there's something more. There's something else out there. Something I don't understand. It scared me nearly to death.

Man, Infogrames is busy attaching the Atari logo on all of their high profile titles. However, it just doesn't feel right. It's being used as a brand solely for marketing purposes, none of these titles are actually being developed by any entity known as "Atari". While it is cool to see the logo on these games, it also feels cheap in a way. These games can stand alone, the Atari name is not helping sell them at all, in my opinion (if people even notice it).

I'd love to know what plans Infogrames has for the Atari brand down the road. It'd be nice if they're doing all this to get people familiar with the Atari name again and then do something big with it. I don't see them developing an Atari-branded console, but perhaps they will actually setup an "Atari Labs" division as they were threatening to do a while back. Right now there's probably no one out there who can say, "I work for Atari!" It would be great if there was a development house with that name again, developing titles from the get go to be sold as Atari games.

This of course wouldn't mean that the old Atari is back, but it would be better than just slapping Atari onto games developed by someone else.

..Al

yeah, but the more I think about this, the more Infogrames use of the brand seems more justified.

I mean, for the first time in years, Atari has meant more than MORE tired old 3-D rehashes of Centipede, missile command et al.

Infogrames may be just using the Atari label as a 'trusted' brand-name, but at least they're sticking it on their very best stuff and not, as I thought they might do, slapping it on their b-grade titles for a bit of a sales boost.

Look at Neverwinter Nights for instance, while not my kind of game at all, it's clear Infogrames has put an absolute shitload of effort into it, and giving it the Atari name feels, well, kinda nice:)

Atari has had much worse treatment than this - hell, more than half the stuff the original Atari put out was an insult to the name.

yeah - Destroy all Monsters looks fantastic fun! I love the way that the military attack whichever monster is doing the most structural damage, so - if you want all the tanks to shoot at your opponent, you can pile him into a building!!! :D

I'm SO buying this - it deserves the Atari name, maybe we'll get a port for the Lynx:)

You notice that my avatar is a scene from the film "Destroy all Monsters"? It's Varan, of course, who had merely a bit part in the film, but I hope he is in the game. They say 14 monsters in game, so lemee guess/pick....

1. Godzilla

2. Mechagodzilla

3. Rodan

4. Mothra

5. Gigan

6. Megalon

7. King Ghidorah

8. Anguirus

9. Varan

10. King Seesar

11. Baragon

12. Jet Jaguar

13. Gorosaurus

14. Titanosaurus

I'm hoping the DO NOT include the American Godzilla or even variations on Godzilla for that matter. Hopefully this game will be a success and a sequel with the rest of the monsters can be made.

Varan, nice tie-in with the avatar!

So, in this game, does the player play the role of those liquidy-rock like aliens, whose name I cannot remember, that control the monsters in an attempt to conquer the Earth? Or is the only thing that the game has in common with the movie the name?

When I saw the pictures from E3 taken by Digital Press (lined on AtariAge a while back), I really wanted the game because I like Godzilla movies made in Japan (I have 17 on DVD and VHS, and I do laugh at them). But, I got a PS2 over a year ago, and now I'm on such a tight buget, I won't consider getting a Game Cube. I don't know that I would get it over a single game anyway.

Still, I do hope it is a good game. I'm not sure I can buy another monster game while another good one exists with Toho's monsters. I also hope the game uses the sounds Toho used in their films and didn't go through any process to make them sound somehow better or different. It'll problably be more fun with some of those old silly B-ish Sci-fi sounds.

Varan, nice tie-in with the avatar!

So, in this game, does the player play the role of those liquidy-rock like aliens, whose name I cannot remember, that control the monsters in an attempt to conquer the Earth? Or is the only thing that the game has in common with the movie the name?

Well, I've read previews that say it's based on the film.... but Mechagodzilla and Gigan are not in DAM and they are confirmed for the game. I think it's just borrowing the title cause there are a lot of monsters.

I would like to see a new Hollywood version of DAM. Either that, or make a film version of the books "Godzilla 2000" or "Godzilla at World's End" by Marc Cerasini. But make them based on Toho characters, not that American Godzilla stuff (which was an entertaining movie, just not an entertaining Godzilla movie).

You people know nothing about this game do you? First off there's 10 monsters and 8 cities.

The preview at www.gamesdomain.com says over 14 montsers. ( http://www.gamesdomain.com/gamecube/previe...ters_Melee.html ) while the one at www.gamesfirs.com says 14 ( http://www.gamesfirst.com/previews/jeremyk...la/godzilla.htm )

But I see now that Infogrames site says 11 monsters... but maybe there are 3 hidden characters.

Apparently there's also a Game Boy Advance "Godzilla" game coming up from Atari/Infogrames: Godzilla: Domination:

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/364/364758p1.html

And as for the whole 'Atari branding' issue: in this article IGN refers to Atari as "Infogrames' all-action label". Not sure what that means, exactly, but it does tie the games together somewhat.

Through my powers of the supernatural, I and I alone can bring him to this room tonight from that place in the deep blackness of death from which no visitor is to return.

• 2 weeks later...