IGNORED

setup for the 7800

Quarterlimit

I know this might sound kinda stupid but i bought a 7800 at a yard sale and it works but i don't know how to hook it up. it came with a cord and some anntenna connecter but i can't figure on how to use it.

It came with like 10 games with the original booklets in mint. so i figured it wasn't used much.

:?:

By "cord" I'll assume your talking about the power adapter that is a small box that plugs into the wall and has "ATARI" labeled on it some where and the end that plugs into the 7800 is a little squarish looking blue thing. If yes, then this obviously plugs into the 7800 and wall in appropriate places. To hook it up to a TV, chances are you have a more modern set than the system was originally designed for (older sets had the 300ohm pair of screws and flat attena wire attached to, which a manual switch box was attached in between the 7800 cord and the tv. To resolve this with a newer television, get yourself a Genesis, NES/SNES or standard Radio shack TV box that has the RCA style jack at one end and plugs into the 7800 TV port, and a shorter, coaxil cable coming out the other end which attaches to the coaxil input of your TV just like cable TV. This is an automatic box which will work when your 7800 is set on either channel 2 or 3 and the tv is switched to either channel (matching the 7800 channel selector switch next to the TV input on the 7800). Just turn it on with either a 2600 or 7800 cartridge installed and it should work fine. :wink: If you don't have the power adapter (you'll have to find one online or ask people here as these are 7800 specific and rare), and the cord your refering to is the TV cord with RCA style plugs at both ends, you'll have to get the proper TV box as stated above, unless it came with the manual switchbox and you have an older TV or a 75ohm to 300ohm converter that plugs into the coaxil and lets you attach the older style tv box. The easiest is to get that Genesis/NES/SNES/radioshack type switch box though as you probably have a coaxil input on your TV.

To hook it up to a TV, chances are you have a more modern set than the system was originally designed for (older sets had the 300ohm pair of screws and flat attena wire attached to, which a manual switch box was attached in between the 7800 cord and the tv. To resolve this with a newer television, get yourself a Genesis, NES/SNES or standard Radio shack TV box that has the RCA style jack at one end and plugs into the 7800 TV port, and a shorter, coaxil cable coming out the other end which attaches to the coaxil input of your TV just like cable TV. This is an automatic box which will work when your 7800 is set on either channel 2 or 3 and the tv is switched to either channel (matching the 7800 channel selector switch next to the TV input on the 7800). Just turn it on with either a 2600 or 7800 cartridge installed and it should work fine. :wink:

Actually, I wouldn't recommend an auto switchbox for the 7800. The signal is not strong enough to make it fully switch resulting in a bad picture. Instead, try getting a standard RCA to RCA video cable and an RCA to F-Jack convertor. Check here for more info.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org