IGNORED

Got a classic controller

Lord Helmet

I have been downloading VC games lately (mainly because my wife likes the old games, and isn't comfortable with emulators). I decided to pick up the classic controller so we weren't limited to NES games. This is a really good controller...kind of a modern version of the SNES pad. The dpad is great (makes me wish my 360 pad had one like this). Too bad they are incompatible with GCN games. I'd much rather use this than the 'cube's pad.

I noticed that it looks like the classic controller will "clip on" to accessories. I wonder what Nintendo has in store? You'd think they would have made it attach to the Wiimote so you could use the pad with the pointing and motion sensing features.

I noticed that it looks like the classic controller will "clip on" to accessories. I wonder what Nintendo has in store? You'd think they would have made it attach to the Wiimote so you could use the pad with the pointing and motion sensing features.

Niko sells such a clip already. It also has extensions on the bottom to help your grip. I prefer to use my wavebird, but this looks like it would make the controller easier to hold onto for long sessions.

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=112

I agree with you about the Cube's D-pad being too small. That and the lack of rumble are the only flaws on the Wavebird. I wish the Cube had lived long enough for Nintendo to do a Wavebird 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Steril707:

I still think this was Nintendos big design flaw, to have the classic controller not covering the Gamecube games as well.

It isn't really a design flaw at all. The Classic controller works through the Wii remote which is sending blue tooth signals to the Wii on which button or controller your using at the given time. When you fire up a Cube game, the blue tooth and basically the Wii itself shuts down and reboots as a gamecube. Since the blue tooth only works while the Wii is in Wii mode and doesn't work or isn't able to work in Cube mode, you can't really state that the classic controller not working for Cube games is a design flaw. If you want to look at a design flaw, Then ask why Nintendo didn't just include blue tooth support as a whole for the Cube mode?

That is also easy to answer, I'm sure it has to do with issues on the other controllers. In other words the Cube games aren't programmed to interpret the blue tooth signals from a wireless controller. So the games themselves would have had to be redone of some sort of patches perhaps provided to make them work. Another possible thing Nintendo might have been able to do, is to add some sort of logic to the blue tooth where it might have had the ability to translate the blue tooth signals and pass them onto the cube so that it could recognize the controllers. For whatever reason this wasn't done. Perhaps there was was unacceptable lag or it could have likely been a cost cutting measure.

Eitherway, without the blue tooth being active in Cube mode, the only wireless controllers for the Wii in Cube mode is the wavebirds.

Steril707:

I still think this was Nintendos big design flaw, to have the classic controller not covering the Gamecube games as well.

It isn't really a design flaw at all. The Classic controller works through the Wii remote which is sending blue tooth signals to the Wii on which button or controller your using at the given time. When you fire up a Cube game, the blue tooth and basically the Wii itself shuts down and reboots as a gamecube. Since the blue tooth only works while the Wii is in Wii mode and doesn't work or isn't able to work in Cube mode, you can't really state that the classic controller not working for Cube games is a design flaw. If you want to look at a design flaw, Then ask why Nintendo didn't just include blue tooth support as a whole for the Cube mode?

That is also easy to answer, I'm sure it has to do with issues on the other controllers. In other words the Cube games aren't programmed to interpret the blue tooth signals from a wireless controller. So the games themselves would have had to be redone of some sort of patches perhaps provided to make them work. Another possible thing Nintendo might have been able to do, is to add some sort of logic to the blue tooth where it might have had the ability to translate the blue tooth signals and pass them onto the cube so that it could recognize the controllers. For whatever reason this wasn't done. Perhaps there was was unacceptable lag or it could have likely been a cost cutting measure.

Eitherway, without the blue tooth being active in Cube mode, the only wireless controllers for the Wii in Cube mode is the wavebirds.

I remember we had this dicussion some months before. :)

I think i can call this a design flaw, even if there are apparent reasons for this. Having 2 different controllers for the sake of playing old games feels weird to me. The classic controller seems to be perfectly blending into the design concept, so it would be nice to be able to use it for GC games also.

I guess i dont particularly get along with the GC controller, and this keeps me from having fun playing any GC games. Call me ignorant, or whatever, but it's just my feeling on this issue.

I think Nintendo decided to keep development costs and time down on this one, so we have to live with this, but it's far from a perfect solution.

"Having 2 different controllers for the sake of playing old games feels weird to me."

Nothing new here...after all the 5200 with a VCS adapter didn't allow you play the 2600 VCS titles with a 5200 joystick...and thank god for that?! Now that I think about it...i think the Playstation series is the only game system with any backward compatibility that allows playing the older games from a single controller solution. Then again, look how little those controllers have actually changed from gen to gen.

I like the cube controller and always have. I have always felt it was one of the best made controllers from last gen. I still like the ps2 controller scheme as well. Then again, my first real controller for my PC was the Gravis gamepad pro...so there you go.

The worst controller of late to me..has always been the Dreamcast controllers. None of them felt right in my hands and always caused some severe hand cramping and numbness in my fingers even after only about an hour of playing. This isn't the case with any other systems except for the DS.

"Having 2 different controllers for the sake of playing old games feels weird to me."

Nothing new here...after all the 5200 with a VCS adapter didn't allow you play the 2600 VCS titles with a 5200 joystick...and thank god for that?! Now that I think about it...i think the Playstation series is the only game system with any backward compatibility that allows playing the older games from a single controller solution. Then again, look how little those controllers have actually changed from gen to gen.

I like the cube controller and always have. I have always felt it was one of the best made controllers from last gen. I still like the ps2 controller scheme as well. Then again, my first real controller for my PC was the Gravis gamepad pro...so there you go.

The worst controller of late to me..has always been the Dreamcast controllers. None of them felt right in my hands and always caused some severe hand cramping and numbness in my fingers even after only about an hour of playing. This isn't the case with any other systems except for the DS.

I have to admit i dont like any controller design after the SNES/Genesis Era. I like the old flat NES/SNES Gamepads, and i like the Wiimote/Nunchuck combi now, but i have never been friends with these modern gamecontrollers from the N64/PS1 upwards. Too many buttons, pads, sticks in one device. And the GC one is especially bad in this fields.

To each his own, tastes are different.

I have to admit i dont like any controller design after the SNES/Genesis Era. I like the old flat NES/SNES Gamepads, and i like the Wiimote/Nunchuck combi now, but i have never been friends with these modern gamecontrollers from the N64/PS1 upwards. Too many buttons, pads, sticks in one device. And the GC one is especially bad in this fields.

To each his own, tastes are different.

I agree. Also hated how the gamecube controller's buttons are layed out. HOrirble for games like tony hawk.

It's a design flaw, or at least a compromise. There might be ok reasons for it, but to release a retro-billed controller that seems to have every feature of the last Gen's controller, and then not make some kind of passthrough for the old hardware... it's lame. (I mean it's a little odd that a N64 title can use the GC or the classic controller, but the GC doesn't have the option. Sure, that's because of hardware vs software emulation, but still.)

That said I don't like the classic controller that much. It goes back to that SNES when you had a hunk of buttons that were all the same.

Playing Starfox 64 was a real pleasure with the GC controller, and difficult with the classic controller.