IGNORED

I have begun to HATE eBay

goatdan

All right, eBay has officially fell to new lows. I purchased all of my Sega Saturn stuff on eBay, including my two RAM carts. eBay decided to cancel one of my auctions just now because the RAM cart, according to them, infringes on Sega's copyrights. I lost $2.20 on that stupid auction, and the RAM cart isn't a non-legit item!

ARGH!

Anyone know any ways to get your money back if they screw you unneccesarly?

Wow, that is pretty lame considering the RAM cart was made by SEGA. I swear, this country is getting so out of control with regards to this crap. I hope you're able to get your auction fees back. :(

I'm a little more calmed down now, and I found out that eBay *did* give me the auction fees back, however I find it totally stupid that something that I bought on eBay less than two years ago is suddenly "illegal" to own or possess, especially when the Saturn has the cartridge slot for a reason.

Oh well. :sad:

sorry to hear about that Dan,

I have had 4 auctions i was bidding on get pulled by ebay this week alone, and before this week not 1 auction i was looking at or bidding on has been pulled since ive been on ebay from march

Granted one set of auctions got pulled for being Adult and not having the adult verification (adult CDI titles) and the other was the CDI movie Star Trek 2 the wrath of kahn (which the seller was booted from ebay for some reason (and I REALLY WANTED THAT MOVIE TO) :(

So did they pull all the RAM carts from Ebay? i guess i will have to look now ive bought 2 of them from ebay in the past 4 months

I'm a little more calmed down now, and I found out that eBay *did* give me the auction fees back, however I find it totally stupid that something that I bought on eBay less than two years ago is suddenly "illegal" to own or possess, especially when the Saturn has the cartridge slot for a reason.

They're not illegal, eBay is just being stupid.

..Al

I'm actually quite surprised at this getting pulled -- take a look at and Dreamcast auction that includes more than 10 games and there's a very high chance that all the games are nothing more than copies. I would think they would police the more obvious ones than RAM carts.

Some of them blatently go out and say it too!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1366162316"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...366162316[/url][/url]

Some of them blatently go out and say it too!

You're right, I'm surprised eBay hasn't pulled this auction since the games are very obviously copies. The problem is, eBay is too big to police all the auctions that are posted, given over one million auctions are active at any one time. They can only depend on other people blowing the whistle, and then most of the time I bet they barely even check the validity of the claim, which is probably why that Saturn RAM cart got pulled.

..Al

Someone probably blew the whistle on your auction, I don't think they found it on their own (I don't give EBAY much credit!).

I agree with MrRetroGamer, someone doesn't like you and pretended that the RAM cart is a device which allows you to boot "backups" so they pulled it without even checking if that is really the case.

That's my guess anyway.

What I hate about Ebay pulling stunts like this is that the auction "DISAPPEARS". The item # is no longer valid. My buddy has had like 50-100 auctions cancelled because he mentions "look at my other auctions" in the description. You can't say these words, but you can actually put a link in there and that is "legal" to Ebay.

I still haven't figured out if a website link button is legal, but if you mention your website, www.atariage.com, they will cancel your auctions.

The biggest problems with canceled auctions are not that you don't get your posting fee back, because you do, but if you posted using the live online way, you've just wasted your time. If on the other hand you used Mr. Lister, you have your auctions backed up and can make the minor change, and upload it back and get them right up without too much more time wasted.

I personally try to use Mr. Lister ALL THE TIME! Only time I don't is if I'm relisting something, then of course I can change things if need be on the relist.

One thing you will want to do is keep all your auction info on paper. I will usually run about 50-100 auctions in a month, depending on how busy I am. After I move, I plan on keeping 200 or so going per month. I have multiples of many items including video games, comic books, cards, etc. It is extremely useful to have those past item #'s on auctions that you sold. You just type in the item # and it brings up your auction. Since you can only use 30 days with the MY EBAY feature, anything 31-90 days old you won't be able to retrieve unless you have the item #. I think almost all if not all auctions 90 days and older are erased from their database.

Sometime by the end of September, if I can figure out how to do a basic website, I will be listing a ton of video games for sale. With label variations and such, I should have at least 300-400 different Atari 2600 games alone. My list should blow away some collections. Not to knock down anyone's collection, since I was there at one time too, but I will be able to enhance anyone's collection that has less than 100 games so far. I will also be willing to trade when the time comes if people have items I need.

Ok, enough rambling. I'll let everyone know in the future when things are settled. :)

Phil

Oh, forgot one other thing. If you do have multiples of an item, make sure you save your picture so you don't have to waste time scanning or using the camera a 2nd time. I try and make different folders for my items, like all pix of video games go in one folder. After 90 days, even if your auction has sold a couple of times, the actual picture will erase from the Ebay database.

Phil

Just thought of another thing. What I do is have a general description saved in MS Word for my auctions. I do a copy/paste of this description for all my auctions to save myself much typing time. Though I type about 80 wpm, I still prefer to try and save time when putting up a ton of auctions.

Phil

I still haven't figured out if a website link button is legal, but if you mention your website, www.atariage.com, they will cancel your auctions.

eBay recently changed their policy so that you cannot link to any outside Web sites unless they were for information on the item you were selling. A legal link would be "Click here for more information on Ford" when selling a Ford car. A non-legal link would be "Click here for more information on me!" leading to your Web site.

Of course, eBay has to take this idea to the extreme too. I used to link to the GOAT Store's order agreement so that people could read about us, and all of a sudden eBay cancelled all of our auctions because they linked to what they called "unrelated Web sites."

Saying "look at my other auctions" is a form of spamming, even if it is promoting your own auctions through ebay. I think they are retarded. What I usually do is put something like, "We have 3 different Spiderman comic books on auction tonight. This one is #..." This will at least inform the bidder that we have more than one book and most likely will get him to look at the other auctions.

When Ebay cancels an auction on you, they actually highlight in an email sent to you exactly what was forbidden in your auction. Hope this clarifies some things.

Phil

When Ebay cancels an auction on you, they actually highlight in an email sent to you exactly what was forbidden in your auction. Hope this clarifies some things.

Unfortunately, they aren't fair or equal when it comes to forbidden things. My licensed third-party RAM cart was taken down because it worked with import games, however the countless Dreamcast "back-up" disks for all of the 2K2 series of games is just fine...

eBay has the problem of any giant corporation -- you don't want to use their services because they aren't a quality operation, but if you don't use their services, you won't get as many people looking at your items or as many items to bid on.