IGNORED

Atari 2600 -> black screen ?

israelg

Hi all,

I got a black screen with my atari 2600 ( 4 bottons ) ,

it may comes sometimes

just after I set it on and sometimes after a few minutes of playing...

can it be fixed ?, would it worth the money ? isn't it cheaper to

find another one in the flea market ?

10X

Israel Geron T.

That sounds like the cartridge you are playing might be corroded, check the contacts on the cart and clean them if necessary. You should also grab a can of airosol (compressed air) and give the cartridge slot a good shot with it.

My $0.02 ...

• 2 weeks later...

hey Israel, wich parts were needed to be replaced to fix your Atari?

Guess what, I just received today this Atari Heavy Sixer model, and it turned out it has the same problem, only that this one only shows a black screen right from startup, but probably is having the same problem as yours, I think that the black screen means there is no chipset activity at all, that means it is getting power but it isn't processing anything at all because otherwise it should show random stripes and make weird sounds, my unit is also showing a black screen and it doesn't make any sounds at all, if you can tell us more about the diagnose of your unit that would help.

Thanx in advance.

Ed,

Your is most likely a faulty Voltage regulator as my heavy sixer was the exact same way...I also replaced the 2200uf capacitor as the one in mine was leaking...The cap isn't really needed though.

As for the other one...I suspect a short or loose connection. Maybe in the power plug or elsewhere. Since it does come on sometimes..we know that his is working..

let us know...

:)

Another solution could be to replace the 6-switch board from another 6-switch Atari, I counted the ribbon connector wires and both are 12pins, they look compatible so far. I need to doublecheck it before I swap them, naahh burning my fingers while soldering is more fun :)

• 4 weeks later...