IGNORED

First impressions of my first ever Lynx.

BSA Starfire

Got my Lynx through the post yesterday(tenner with 3 games off ebay). I only learned about this machine recently off this site(just like the XE I bought recently). Had a dead spot for video games when both those systems were current, too interested in motorbikes and girls I guess, so never knew they existed:)

OK some first impressions:

1. It's huge!!

2. It wants six batteries(rummages in draws, comes up with 2, goes to shop buys 4 more, rushes home). Bloody hell six!! What's it going to do with them, heat the house???

3. Inserts Roadblasters card after scratching head on which way round then noticing diagram on back.

4. OK, it's big, but surprisingly comfy and Roadblasters is excellent, the graphics and sound, well everything are much better than I thought they would be, it seems easily comparable with my sons Gameboy SP and way better than the old Gameboy Color(for a start I can see the screen).

Next up I played Blue Lightning(for 2 hours), it's handheld Playstation Air Combat with an Atari logo, VERY cool! The last game I got with it is Ninja Gaiden, also great fun game, all in all I'm very impressed. Gonna cost me a fortune in batteries until I find a mains adaptor though:)

So thanks Atari Age, thats two new systems(Lynx, XEGS) I have found out about here in a month and bought for peanuts off ebay & they have given me a ton of gaming pleasure already.

Best regards,

Chris

Got my Lynx through the post yesterday(tenner with 3 games off ebay). I only learned about this machine recently off this site(just like the XE I bought recently). Had a dead spot for video games when both those systems were current, too interested in motorbikes and girls I guess, so never knew they existed:)

OK some first impressions:

1. It's huge!!

2. It wants six batteries(rummages in draws, comes up with 2, goes to shop buys 4 more, rushes home). Bloody hell six!! What's it going to do with them, heat the house???

3. Inserts Roadblasters card after scratching head on which way round then noticing diagram on back.

4. OK, it's big, but surprisingly comfy and Roadblasters is excellent, the graphics and sound, well everything are much better than I thought they would be, it seems easily comparable with my sons Gameboy SP and way better than the old Gameboy Color(for a start I can see the screen).

Next up I played Blue Lightning(for 2 hours), it's handheld Playstation Air Combat with an Atari logo, VERY cool! The last game I got with it is Ninja Gaiden, also great fun game, all in all I'm very impressed. Gonna cost me a fortune in batteries until I find a mains adaptor though:)

So thanks Atari Age, thats two new systems(Lynx, XEGS) I have found out about here in a month and bought for peanuts off ebay & they have given me a ton of gaming pleasure already.

Best regards,

Chris

battery problems? dont even order the adapter....live in the times and order this ----> http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/

Don't rechargeables output a lower voltage than non-rechargeables? It's 1.2V compared to 1.5V if I'm not mistaken. That's not a problem as long as the system's voltage regulator can accept a range of voltages, but it could explain why rechargeables drain faster.

Don't rechargeables output a lower voltage than non-rechargeables? It's 1.2V compared to 1.5V if I'm not mistaken. That's not a problem as long as the system's voltage regulator can accept a range of voltages, but it could explain why rechargeables drain faster.

NiMHs rated at 2500mAh or higher (such as the Energizers recommended above) will last longer in a Lynx or TurboExpress than Alkalines, and work fine. I have four Lynxes and a TurboExpress (and a Nomad, and a couple Game Gears) and I use Energizer 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables in all of them, and I'm very happy with the results. Recommendations and voltage concerns are for old-style NiCADs and Rechargeable Alkalines, which were the ONLY available rechargeable batteries back in 1989. Technology has improved however - there is absolutely NO REASON why you can't use good NiMH batteries with your Lynx.

HOWEVER (there's always gotta be a however ;) ) - some NiMH batteries have rather short positive posts protruding from the battery - this can be an issue with the Lynx I because the positive terminal may not actually be firmly in place against the contact in the battery bay. I have had this problem with some DigiPower and Sanyo rechargeables, but the Energizers work fine.

So, you can use NiMHs and get better battery life than with Alkalines, but you have to buy the right ones that fit with the system. :cool:

I have been using rechargables for years with my Lynx and have never had any problems.

Right now I have Energizer nickel metal hydride (NiMH) 2500 mAh batteries. With a full charge they last about 4 to 5 hours, roughly the same as regular alkalines.

I also have an AC adaptor for when I'm just sitting in the house. You can buy one used off eBay for about $10, or go buy a correct adaptor in any electronics shop for maybe $15 new.

using nimh vs nicad is much better as far as draining the battery