IGNORED

Eternal Sonata

moycon

I had downloaded the demo for this a few days ago, but just got around to trying it out.

WOW!

I'm a huge fan of traditional console RPGs and this really is a great game.

Enchanted Arms was moderate. The game had it moments, but for the most part was pretty un-even in terms of graphics and character dialog. Eternal Sonata on the other hand just blew me away. I had seen screen shot before, but you really have to see the game hands on, it's gorgeous and I enjoy the combat system a lot. I like the fact you can run over an attack multiple enemies...if you have the time. I haven't pre-order this title yet, but after trying the demo, I think I just might. Anyone else give this game a try?

I tried Eternal Sonata on my OXM disk and downloaded Blue Dragon.

I have to say that even though Blue Dragon has the hype, I really enjoyed the Eternal Sonata demo

way way WAY more.

It looks stunning and I really like the way battles work.

Eternal Sonata is unfortunately looking like a must have RPG.

(unfortunate to my wallet... With this, Bioshock, Halo, Assassin's Creed, PGR, Splinter Cell, etc., etc, etc,...)

This looks interesting. :)

..Al

As you well know now that you're a 360 owner,being able to try out a game before it's released is a HUGE plus.

I hadn't really given this game a lot of thought in the past. It looked maybe a little too cartoony, and was just going to wait for used copies to show up, but after trying it out, I'm getting it as soon as it hits the market...I only hope I'm done with Two Worlds by then!! :cool:

I tried it and my feelings were mixed.

I think I like the basic engine of the combat system. I appreciate the importance of positioning. I could do without the timed button banging But, for the basics, I think they generally work.

However, there are elements of the combat system which really mar my enjoyment. The main one is the guarding mechanism of hitting B at the precise moment to reduce damage. I feel mechanics like this are flat out stupid, and the people responsible for them should be murdered by cheese grater.

I like the fact the game waits before starting to run down the timer on your turn. However, the game could have done just as well without the timer altogether, and used some sort of action point system along with an engine like the first PS2 Arc the Lad game.

The other hurdle for me were the graphics. To be honest, they didn't look as spectacular as I thought they would. Plus, there's the standard problem as with any game featuring cel-shaded graphics. The movement of the characters looks unnatural. Everyone looks a bit pasted on to the scene. Fortunately, the backgrounds are lush and don't have anything resembling the same problem. The game still looks nice, but the still shots made it look a bit better.

I'm not a fan of these types of games, because I just don't get into the turn based combat style. But I tried the demo, and WOW is right. This game's look is amazing. It is a demo, but I never really figured out the musical playing portion of it. I kept getting a F when I tried playing with that kid in town. Cool game though, I might pick this one up.

• 9 months later...
Anything special if you finish it a second time?

Second time through all creature are harder however you will reatin all your levels and skills from the previous game so it's not so bad. Also there are certain items and certain quests that can only be accessed playing through a second time and 100% achievements can only be obtained playing through twice for the same reason.