IGNORED

My Weekend Project - 5200 Trakball Fire Button Mod!!

MrRetroGamer

I had been meaning to do this for a long time but I was afraid to cut a hole in the top of my pristine 5200 trakball controller (still has the pink film on it). I really only like the trakball for Missile Command and Centipede, and you only need 1 fire button for them. I don't like the feel of the standard fire buttons on the trakball, and upon further inspection they are just simple "dome" switches. They require too much pressure from your finger and I don't think they are comfortable for extended periods.

So, I took the plunge and added in a regular arcade leaf switch button to the top of the controller, on the left side centered below the two standard buttons. It's a nice big red one, new old stock, and it works great! Making sure it fit properly inside before I cut anything was first, then traced the position and got out the trusty dremmel and cut away. I smoothed the edges and had a good fit. I wired up the two wires in the appropriate location and reassembled the unit. Presto - what a difference! You can now activate the fire button by lightly "patting" the button with your finger tips, it feels just like the arcade. Works great, and looks factory since it sits flush and you can't see the any of the hole it is sitting in.

I'll post a picture so you can see the final product.

I also threw together a 5200 paddle controller from a spare joystick, but this has been done already so I wont go into detail. This works great with Super Breakout, and Kaboom, and pretty well with GORF (you lose the up down ability, but I think it was pretty unplayable with a regular joystick anyway, so it's still better this way). It works great with Pole Position but I have to add in a switch that lets you select the lo/hi gear. Otherwise it's stuck in hi the entire time, so it takes a while to get going!

As I said pictures will follow tonight.

WOW! I am very jealous. It turned out fantastic. That is the one thing about the track-ball -- you need to push the button so hard and it feels so stiff. How hard was it to do? So when are you taking orders? Congrats. I wish I were better at electronics, but you made an impressive project. Some of the alterations people make to Atari stuff I wonder why?, but this is useful and it turned out great. Who wants to make a homemade Masterplay Interface (you could name it after yourself and sell it and be famous :P ? Nice work! -- RG

It was pretty easy actually, the hardest part is cutting the hole for the button. You need the right tool and a steady hand. If you cut too much, it will show after you install the button and the button won't fit too snug. The wiring inside was easy, just splice 2 wires from the new button to the wires on the connector.

It was pretty easy actually, the hardest part is cutting the hole for the button.  You need the right tool and a steady hand.  If you cut too much, it will show after you install the button and the button won't fit too snug.  The wiring inside was easy, just splice 2 wires from the new button to the wires on the connector.

That's an awesome mod, thanks for posting the pictures! I need to buy a dremmel tool, as I've repeatedly seen demonstrations like this of how useful they are. :)

..Al

These things can be mounted very easily without an expensive Dremmel tool. There's a special kind of drill bit that's designed for boring out wide holes. It's quite wide and flat, and also has two small little teeth on the sides. I use them all the time when I need to mount arcade buttons.

Mr. Retrogamer,

Would you explain a little more in depth exactly how to do the mod. I have very little experince with electronics, but I've taken the trackball apart before and I think I could do this mod. First, where did you buy the button (what size,etc.) and then where exactly do you hook it up. Did you splice it and use electrical tape, solder, or those shrink things? Thanks for the Modifications for Dummies lesson. Take care, RG

The button is a standard size arcade leaf spring button, I picked up a few off EBAY a long time ago with the intent of building my own joystick or something someday. You could use a microswitch button, those are the ones that "click", but those still may not feel "right", you know? I ran 2 wires from the contacts of the button to the wiring harness connector that plugs into the bottom of the circuit board. The proper location for the fire button to connect to is the second and third wires from the RIGHT of the connector. If you look at the top of the circuit board (after you remove it, see below) and follow the traces for the button (the second button on the left side) you'll see where it goes. What I did was just strip the ends of the new button wires and sort of push then into the connector on the bottom of the circuit board, it should make good contact with the exposed metal in each of the pins there. Lightly tug on it to make sure it wont just slip out, and then use some electrical tape to hold it in place. Tape the 2 new wires to the old wires about 2 inches down so there wont be any excess pressure on the wire to pull your connections free. You could make a better connection and splice into the existing wires or solder the wires to the board if you feel confident. Maybe I'll go back and make a better connection on mine, but for now it works!

When you cut the hole for the button, trace the circle on the INSIDE of the trakball top. First remove the green circuit board, and be careful not to bend the 4 plastic tabs holding that in place. Remove the number pads and start pad and the 4 fire buttons. The trace your hole, position it centered below the two existing fire buttons. Then just check the fit of your button (you may need something to act as a washer for your button to hold it in place from below, I used a price of stiff cardboard which was just right) and install. I'll send you an email with some more info.

• 3 weeks later...

I DID IT! See Mr. Retrogamer's trackball -- well picture it with a nice blue button instead of the boring ordinary red one :wink: and that's my new trackball. Mr. Retrogamer sent me the button free (blue was the only color he had) and ready to go with some stuff I ordered and he has helped me with directions twice. The hardest thing was making the hole and getting it to wedge with the cardboard and not wiggle. I just taped down the wires with electrical tape (any better suggestions or will that do?). Well - I big thanks to Mr. Retrogamer and now it is off to play Missile Command on the best classic machine and trackball combo possible! -- RG