IGNORED

Create an EXT2 filesystem with mke2fs or mkfs.ext2

crash

Greetings,

I'm trying to make another one of my partitions into EXT2 format in MiNT. I previously used HDdriver to make this a LNX partition, but now I have no idea what the proper usage is for mke2fs or mkfs.ext2

The usage information contains no example of syntax, and I don't even know what all of these mean:

mke2fs Usage: %s [-c|-t|-l filename] [-b block-size] [-f fragment-size]

[-i bytes-per-inode] [-N number-of-inodes]

[-m reserved-blocks-percentage] [-o creator-os] [-g blocks-per-group]

[-L volume-label] [-M last-mounted-directory] [-O feature[,...]]

[-r fs-revision] [-R raid_opts] [-s sparse-super-flag]

[-qvSV] device [blocks-count]

Help!

Edited by crash

Hmmm...

I tried this, with the command:

mkfs.ext2 r:

It seemed to work, but when I tried to copy files to that drive, the file manager crashes (either Teradesk or Kobold). I tried to repair the drive using:

fsck -a r:

and lots of duplicate/bad blocks, illegal block numbers, and other problems were found and apparently fixed, but it still doesn't work. On bootup, the system says:

The filesystem size according to the superblock is 2577660 blocks.

The physical size of the device is 25777628 blocks

Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt

Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually

All the same problems are found. It seems that I must need to specify some parameters when making the filesystem, but I have no idea what.

Thanks

Well, can you give us some more info?

- Are you still using HDdriver?

- What size is the partition?

- Maybe the hard disk is indeed defective? Have you tested it for bad blocks? (by invoking mkfs.ext2 -c r: ?)

HTH

Yes, I used HDdriver to create the partitions on the disk. The partition size is about 60gb. I don't get any indication that the hard disk is failing since the first five partitions including the EXT2 partition created by Easymint all check out. I ran Diamond Edge on the BGM partitions which found no errors, and e2fsck q: on the MiNT partition. I'm running the command you suggested.

I wish that I could figure out what command that is used by Easymint to create a partition.

Thanks

Well, can you give us some more info?

- Are you still using HDdriver?

- What size is the partition?

- Maybe the hard disk is indeed defective? Have you tested it for bad blocks? (by invoking mkfs.ext2 -c r: ?)

HTH

Yes, I used HDdriver to create the partitions on the disk. The partition size is about 60gb. I don't get any indication that the hard disk is failing since the first five partitions including the EXT2 partition created by Easymint all check out. I ran Diamond Edge on the BGM partitions which found no errors, and e2fsck q: on the MiNT partition. I'm running the command you suggested.

I wish that I could figure out what command that is used by Easymint to create a partition.

Thanks

Hmmm, from reading the manpage of mkfs, the parameters are usually automagically detected. I that I created my partition using HDDriver (think LNX type) and it's ~30gb.

What I can suggest right now are the following:

• Try creating a smaller partition. Like I said, no problems with my 30gb one
  • Why not e-mail the easymint author? His home page is here: http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/home...&texte=news
  • On another tangent, it seems like the blocks are wrongly calculated by someone (actually this might be because a mint limit is reached). Why not trying to run mkfs with -b 4096 to create bigger blocks (can't say if this is already done by mkfs but it could be worth a shot)

Hope any of this helps. Let us know your progress :)