IGNORED

Cutting Plastic?

Larry

I've found a nice case for my SIO2SD board, but I need to cut a rectangular opening in the cover for the LCD screen, five somewhat closely-spaced holes for the keys, and a slot for the SD card for "quick change." I have a drill press which should make the holes easier to locate and drill properly, but I've never done any "precision" cutting in plastic before. I also have a regular sheet-metal/plastic "nibbler" hand tool.

Aside from "measure twice, cut once" ;) , can anyone offer some tips for this surgery?

-Larry

I've found a nice case for my SIO2SD board, but I need to cut a rectangular opening in the cover for the LCD screen, five somewhat closely-spaced holes for the keys, and a slot for the SD card for "quick change." I have a drill press which should make the holes easier to locate and drill properly, but I've never done any "precision" cutting in plastic before. I also have a regular sheet-metal/plastic "nibbler" hand tool.

Aside from "measure twice, cut once" ;) , can anyone offer some tips for this surgery?

-Larry

A Dremel-type hand tool is handy for making a rough cut. What I'd do is make 4 corner holes, then use the Dremel to cut an "X" from corner to corner. Then use a metal straight edge and a razor blade to score the outline of the square in the plastic, then snap off each triangle along that line. Then clean up with sandpaper. Did that make sense? :)

-Bry

A Dremel-type hand tool is handy for making a rough cut. What I'd do is make 4 corner holes, then use the Dremel to cut an "X" from corner to corner. Then use a metal straight edge and a razor blade to score the outline of the square in the plastic, then snap off each triangle along that line. Then clean up with sandpaper. Did that make sense? :)

-Bry

Hi Bryan-

Yes, that makes sense, and I had not thought of using the Dremel. I have one -- which tool do you find best to use?

-Larry

-Bry

Hi Bryan-

Yes, that makes sense, and I had not thought of using the Dremel. I have one -- which tool do you find best to use?

-Larry

Well, a cutting wheel will work if you're careful (they can run away!) or maybe a grinding bit (the kind with about 1/4" or more of diamond shaped pattern at the end).