IGNORED

Who wants to be paid to program a ColecoVision Game?

retroillucid

I have already put offers on the table of $500 for an Atari 2600 game to be programmed.

I had the idea, I'll say what I want, etc. I'll handle the cart making and all the sales, labels, manuals, etc.

Nobody was interested.

What about the artwork and music? I would even, maybe....pm to find out, maybe not even require advance payment, but take a cut of sales...for the right game, and if I felt my partner was a competent artist. I like to collaborate like that.

I've already filled my plate up with programming projects, but I always love the chance to collaborate....so I would at least entertain ideas.

I do not touch Assembler though, except to speed up a certain routine here or there....so on the Atari side, I guess that would limit things to bB for me. Colecovision and on most other platforms...Jaguar, Sega CD, Amiga CD32, etc.....could just use C, which is where I'm familiar.

I'm always interested in commission work. I just don't read every thread.

For a 2600 game, $500 might be fair and it might be way low, depends on what you wanted. You can PM me if you want and let me know your idea, and I'll let you know what I think. :)

oh wow, I should learn to read threads in order :-) In my earlier post, I wasn't trying to compete with your offer, of course.... I find game programming projects interesting, is all.

Personally, if I had read your post first, I probably wouldn't have said anything...if he's already found a programmer, then he doesn't need my help.

$500 seems a bit low, but isn't too bad I guess... if there's money up front, and it's a game you would enjoy programming.

However, a lot of things can go wrong: the project would likely take a lot longer than usual, and possibly never get done to his/her liking... unless the ground rules were laid out quite completely from the start.

This sounded intriguing to me at the start, but less so now. I'm relatively slow at this, and wouldn't be able to handle the expectations of someone else who is calling the shots.

That's just me,

5-11under

oh wow, I should learn to read threads in order :-) In my earlier post, I wasn't trying to compete with your offer, of course.... I find game programming projects interesting, is all.

No worries, Mark2008! I have always got more than enough on my plate that I don't need another project, but it's nice to work on something that someone ELSE is managing for a change. ;) As it is, I haven't heard anything new on this one.

5-11under - my policy for taking a commission project is just like you say. You get all the expectations set right at the beginning. To avoid spending time on vaporware projects - without malice! - it works for me to make a condition to not start coding until all art and sound resources are complete - or at least enough to do the first level for a larger title. Agreements are made about the gameplay and finally, in writing, provide a simplified functional description of what will be delivered. It's helpful to also ensure everyone agrees upon a set of terms about how many times to go around on things that turned out to be unclear, and what will happen if something previously agreed upon changes.

Most projects start with a lot of enthusiasm and really high expectations. The reality turns out to be that most projects are a tremendous amount of work and that there are always limitations that were unexpected. Most projects don't get far past the design phase and that's why I require all the design and resources be done up front, so that I can do my job without fear that the project will be declared "too much work" and cancelled halfway through. :)