IGNORED

ColecoVision collection on eBay

Psionic

I wonder if someone will hit that $5100 BIN. (He no longer offers the BIN or Best Offer option, only the BIN.)

Yes. Just a little while ago.

Sweet Magilla Gorilla!

Well, I guess that ends that.

Yep. :) I was on the fence about buying this stuff, but at roughly 45$ per game, with a sweet boxed DK in the lot which is worth at least 200$ alone, and the rest of the boxes in pretty good condition, I'd say I made a good purchase. Also, the seller is a Canadian like me, so the transaction is much simpler than with an american seller. So what can I say, that lot had my name all over it. :D

I was planning to buy some additional pieces of furniture for my appartment anyway, and I have a black metal rack that I'll be moving from my room to the living room, and all those boxed CV games are going to be stored on that rack. :)

i often ask myself who would want to buy an 'instant collection'. Takes all the fun out of the collecting part.

Somewhat true, but I'm saving a whole lot on shipping, for starters. Shipping fees add up quickly when you buy this stuff piece by piece from different sellers scattered all over North America and beyond.

i bet he liked watching ya'll all talking about buying and splitting up the collection.

and then spoiling the fun...

Actually, I just stumbled onto this thread after I made the purchase. :) But it's true that splitting a collection like this would be a tragedy. On the other hand, I can't promise that I'll never split it up myself if I ever decide to part with it...

Edited by Pixelboy

i bet he liked watching ya'll all talking about buying and splitting up the collection.

Eh...I know it sounds like sour grapes, but it honestly makes no difference really, at least to me. I'm not going for the whole collection, so I only needed a few of those games anyway.

Plus, it's a nice collection and a good pick up for the buyer (I suppose), but it's really not worth what he was asking. wickedster overpaid for a lot of the games, so in purchasing that collection, you're buying them all at top dollar...no bargains to be had. Of course, in buying an "instant collection" like this, you're not only paying for all of the games, but all of the time and effort put into the collection as well, which must be factored into the equation. Even so, the price was high.

Look at it this way...there were four of us interested in pooling together...even if we'd gotten a fifth member and gone in for $1,000 each, I just don't see any way we could have split up the collection with each one of us getting $1,000 worth of games...it just wasn't there.

Oh well...if Pixelboy wants to sell me a few of his doubles, I'm happy.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

Eh...I know it sounds like sour grapes, but it honestly makes no difference really, at least to me. I'm not going for the whole collection, so I only needed a few of those games anway.

Plus, it's a nice collection and a good pick up for the buyer (I suppose), but it's really not worth what he was asking. wickedster overpaid for a lot of the games, so in purchasing that collection, you're buying them all at top dollar...no bargains to be had. Of course, in buying an "instant collection" like this, you're not only paying for all of the games, but all of the time and effort put into the collection as well, which must be factored into the equation. Even so, the price was high.

Look at it this way...there were four of us interested in pooling together...even if we'd gotten a fifth member and gone in for $1,000 each, I just don't see any way we could have split up the collection with each one of us getting $1,000 worth of games...it just wasn't there.

I agree. It's a great lot to be sure, just pricey IMO. But there's that cliche out there about the eye of the beholder. :) If Pixelboy's happy, I'm happy. :) Out of curiosity, wonder where he's coming up with $200 for an opened DK boxed? I know i've been looking for one, but I was expecting to pay closer to $80 sealed since most of them were jack Berg items at $15 just a while ago. :)

All the same, if nothing else thanks for taking the temptation away from my keyboard. :) on a good night of Bud Light and Jaeger, I coulda 'accidentally' hit that Buy-It-Now. :)

Murph

I agree. It's a great lot to be sure, just pricey IMO. But there's that cliche out there about the eye of the beholder. :)

Indeed. :) You don't see a nice collection like this every day on eBay. And like I said before, I'm saving a bundle on shipping compared to buying these items piece by piece.

If Pixelboy's happy, I'm happy. :) Out of curiosity, wonder where he's coming up with $200 for an opened DK boxed? I know i've been looking for one, but I was expecting to pay closer to $80 sealed since most of them were jack Berg items at $15 just a while ago. :)

80$ sealed? Well, if a boxed DK popped up on eBay, I believe some collectors would be willing to pay a lot for it. It's the kind of item that can easely spark a bidding war. That's where my 200$ guestimate came from, because that's the final bid I would expect to see in an eBay auction for just that one item, sealed or not.

All the same, if nothing else thanks for taking the temptation away from my keyboard. :) on a good night of Bud Light and Jaeger, I coulda 'accidentally' hit that Buy-It-Now. :)

My roomate is going to flip when I receive this stuff... But we'll have space for it (barely) once I move that black metal rack in the living room. :)

Would you believe the only boxed CV games I had before making this purchase were homebrew games? Aside from collecting homebrews, I also collect CV manuals and various ADAM hardware and documentation, but with this admittedly crazy mega-purchase, I just entered the club of "real" CV collectors, more than ever before. The only problem now is that I'm a completist, so from now on I'll be looking for any boxed CV games that I don't already have. My God, what have I gotten myself into??? :D

Anyway, the only doubles I'll have after receiving this lot are the Opcode games (obviously), and PkK's games.

If Pixelboy's happy, I'm happy. :) Out of curiosity, wonder where he's coming up with $200 for an opened DK boxed? I know i've been looking for one, but I was expecting to pay closer to $80 sealed since most of them were jack Berg items at $15 just a while ago. :)

80$ sealed? Well, if a boxed DK popped up on eBay, I believe some collectors would be willing to pay a lot for it. It's the kind of item that can easely spark a bidding war. That's where my 200$ guestimate came from, because that's the final bid I would expect to see in an eBay auction for just that one item, sealed or not.

Honestly, you're both pulling numbers out of the air. Though I cannot discount that someone might be loopy enough to part with $200 (or more) with some of the nuts swinging around eBay, placing that as a firm value flies in the face of past reality. Naturally, I'm curious as to what wickedster paid, as I'm pretty certain it didn't come off eBay.

Eh...I know it sounds like sour grapes, but it honestly makes no difference really, at least to me. I'm not going for the whole collection, so I only needed a few of those games anyway.

I have to agree with this assessment for the most part, but -- as stated -- the valuation for an individual lies with time savings (and what someone might think his/her time to be worth). I'm mildly astounded at how little effort (minimal documentation of condition, etc.) was required in motivating a purchase of this size. As an outsider, I can only hope that not as many of those items are as beat up as I recall them being (relative to wickedster's original purchase prices) when first bought off eBay.

I'm mildly astounded at how little effort (minimal documentation of condition, etc.) was required in motivating a purchase of this size. As an outsider, I can only hope that not as many of those items are as beat up as I recall them being (relative to wickedster's original purchase prices) when first bought off eBay.

I asked the seller if there were any noticeably damaged boxes in his lot, and here's what he told me: "Most of the boxes are in excellent shape. Many of them are still factory sealed. There are a few that show some normal wear and tear - which is typical of the age. No major issues though."

Honestly, you're both pulling numbers out of the air. Though I cannot discount that someone might be loopy enough to part with $200 (or more) with some of the nuts swinging around eBay, placing that as a firm value flies in the face of past reality. Naturally, I'm curious as to what wickedster paid, as I'm pretty certain it didn't come off eBay.

Well, that was *my* guesstimate-- based on the last one opened on Ebay we saw sold for $25 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110123371041 and of course, it's the one Pixel just bought lol) Of course, if you want something more concrete, Video Game Collector lists it as $7 complete in box. :) so, Mumbai, I think you were one who said you had an extra copy but were too busy to close a deal or something to that effect-- where do I sent the $7. :) lol In reality, outside of Ebay, $80-100 seems to be about the max sale price for most games. I know Ebay can create a false sense of inflated value, but I've picked up games like Evolution and 2010 both sealed for <$80 each, while I believe Ebay would do significantly more damage on those titles.

And Pixel plese keep us posted on how this collection turns out-- I'm not expecting any surprises, but the pictures also left some details to be desired. :)

Edited by Murph74

Of course, if you want something more concrete, Video Game Collector lists it as $7 complete in box. :)

And Pixel plese keep us posted on how this collection turns out-- I'm not expecting any surprises, but the pictures also left some details to be desired. :)

And when the Video Game collector was started and I was working on the price for coleco Jack Berg had the DK new in box in stock for around $15 and updating that price was missed but great changes are coming for VGC Mag now that more time will be going into it daily!

Congrats on buying the lot it was great. We had the entire lot priced around $4500 for the released games according to the book " Classic 80's Home Video Games" coming out this fall.

Just a normal crazy Ebay buyer selling out after a short time after he out bid almost eveyone over the last year.

Jason

Okay, I'll try not to forget. :)

I reviewed the lot last night from the auction's pictures and description, and I was surprised to notice some missing boxed games which I would expect to find in any collection of this size, like Tarzan, Omega Race, Gorf, Looping, Venture, and a few others. Seems like I see those games, boxed, all the time on eBay, especially Omega Race... But I'll wait until I actually receive the lot before I start to seriously monitor eBay for other boxed CV games.

By the way, is the seller an AA member?

Edited by Pixelboy

Of course, if you want something more concrete, Video Game Collector lists it as $7 complete in box. :)

And when the Video Game collector was started and I was working on the price for coleco Jack Berg had the DK new in box in stock for around $15 and updating that price was missed but great changes are coming for VGC Mag now that more time will be going into it daily!

Congrats on buying the lot it was great. We had the entire lot priced around $4500 for the released games according to the book " Classic 80's Home Video Games" coming out this fall.

Just a normal crazy Ebay buyer selling out after a short time after he out bid almost eveyone over the last year.

Jason

Sooo- -you're telling me not to trust the price guide in there? :P

I reviewed the lot last night from the auction's pictures and description, and I was surprised to notice some missing boxed games which I would expect to find in any collection of this size, like Tarzan, Omega Race, Gorf, Looping, Venture, and a few others. Seems like I see those games, boxed, all the time on eBay, especially Omega Race... But I'll wait until I actually receive the lot before I start to seriously monitor eBay for other boxed CV games.

By the way, is the seller an AA member?

If he never bought those games, I suspect it's because most of them are very common and can be acquired on-demand at basically any time...he was focusing on getting the rare ones first. :roll:

Yes, his ID here is wickey27...but the only things he ever posted about were some CV games he was looking to purchase and some 2600 protos he was looking to sell.

Naturally, I'm curious as to what wickedster paid, as I'm pretty certain it didn't come off eBay.

Well, that was *my* guesstimate-- based on the last one opened on Ebay we saw sold for $25 (of course, it's the one Pixel just bought lol).

Thanks for the link. Figures to have been a BIN.

Reasonable/accurate, not concrete.

In reality, outside of Ebay, $80-100 seems to be about the max sale price for most games.

This isn't universal, and judging from the stock generally available outside eBay, there's a reason for a lower cap in most (if not all) cases.

The collection was mine.........

I find it quite funny to see so many comments from people trying to ascertain the value of a collection like this - truth is, no one can put a price on it. It is what ever the market dictates. And judging by the amount of money people have been paying lately for boxed games that I would consider commons, this collection is most certainly worth the selling price (with substantial savings on individual shipping costs). I've seen games sell for $30, and a few weeks later, the same game sells for close to $300. I've certainly been there (have paid substantially more for a game than I should of). Lately , it seems almost every CIB colecivison game selling (common or not) is selling for upwards of $100.

As to my reasons for selling.....that's somewhat private and not necessarily the business of strangers....let's just say my cirmcumstances have changed recently......I've been back and forth quite a bit on whether to continue collecting...or to get out of it all togetther (hence the impulse purchase of Campaign 84 last week) but I finally bit the bullet on the game collecting addiction.

I still have quite a bit more to sell in the coming weeks. With the gem of my collection now gone, it won't be difficult to clear out everything else.

Have fun collecting everyone. I sure did......

I find it quite funny to see so many comments from people trying to ascertain the value of a collection like this - truth is, no one can put a price on it. It is what ever the market dictates.

That is certainly true, but I can estimate based on the fact that I have about half of what you had and I've barely spent over $1000. I could try to get everything in a year or so and pay crazy prices like a lot of people do, or I can sit back and be patient and get things at a fraction of the cost, like I've been doing for the most part.

And judging by the amount of money people have been paying lately for boxed games that I would consider commons, this collection is most certainly worth the selling price (with substantial savings on individual shipping costs). I've seen games sell for $30, and a few weeks later, the same game sells for close to $300. I've certainly been there (have paid substantially more for a game than I should of). Lately , it seems almost every CIB colecivison game selling (common or not) is selling for upwards of $100.

Again very true, but the fact is those people are doing exactly what you were doing...overpaying. You, chuys450, and a few other people are one of the main reasons why prices are where they are right now. You paid over $130 for that boxed Oil's Well (by outsniping chuys450)...then, a few weeks later, I got mine for half that without the two of you bidding on it. Some other new people have shown up and started bidding crazy prices as well, and yes, the CV market is very volatile right now...but that won't last.

As to my reasons for selling.....that's somewhat private and not necessarily the business of strangers....let's just say my cirmcumstances have changed recently......I've been back and forth quite a bit on whether to continue collecting...or to get out of it all togetther (hence the impulse purchase of Campaign 84 last week) but I finally bit the bullet on the game collecting addiction.
Exactly, it seems it was an addiction for you...and that's not healthy (or fun), so what's the point? While it's unfortunate, it's probably a good thing in the long run...you seemed to be collecting for the wrong reasons (impulse) and spending beyond your means, and that's never a good thing. Hopefully, everything is okay and things work out for you.

Don't assume that I was spending beyond my means - not the case. My priorities have just changed. My comment re:addiction was actually meant as a joke - I quite enjoyed collecting and at no point was it ever a negative experience.

Not that I need to justify my actions but my reasons are more time related - certainly not monetary. If it were monetary, I would have taken the time to sell everything seperately with inflated shipping charges etc...

I also have to say that I find it difficult that you would have half the games for less than $1000, unless you have all the commons and none of the rarities - or you are very very good bargin hunter........PLUS.....I was not the only person driving up prices - I can recall losing more than 100 auctions for games because I was outbid (by more than 1 bidder)....so there are certainly many other people out there besides myself who are driving up prices.....and judging by the amount of offers I received for this collection that were very close to my minimum price...there are quite a few people out there who value it similar to myself. I also had many messages from people looking for particular games that were willing to pay several hundred dollars for one game in some cases........

Edited by wickey27

Don't assume that I was spending beyond my means - not the case. My priorities have just changed. My comment re:addiction was actually meant as a joke - I quite enjoyed collecting and at no point was it ever a negative experience.

If you say so...but I'm willing to bet that you were tearing your hair out after you lost that boxed Star Wars: TAG to me after your snipe didn't go through. You know...that one I won for $14 (less than half what it's worth). Then you sniped about $95 (more than twice what it's worth) at the next one that popped up and were outsniped by lakesideman. ;)

Not that I need to justify my actions...

No, you certainly don't.

I also have to say that I find it difficult that you would have half the games for less than $1000, unless you have all the commons and none of the rarities - or you are very very good bargin hunter........

Well, I do have a lot of the commons, but I've got some decent rares as well. The only games I've paid over $100 for were Q*bert's Qubes and Jungle Hunt...other than that, there's very few I've paid more than $20-30 maximum for. No, I don't have the boxed Xonox titles and such, but I'm not the type of person who pays hundreds of dollars for shitty games. I never said I paid "less than $1000", I said I've barely paid that much...maybe a bit more. Whatever I've paid, it's nothing...I've got almost all of the games I want (about 50-60 titles boxed) and I've never really overpaid for anything...including several rares I paid less than half what you paid.

PLUS.....I was not the only person driving up prices - I can recall losing more than 100 auctions for games because I was outbid (by more than 1 bidder)....so there are certainly many other people out there besides myself who are driving up prices.....and judging by the amount of offers I received for this collection that were very close to my minimum price...there are quite a few people out there who value it similar to myself. I also had many messages from people looking for particular games that were willing to pay several hundred dollars for one game in some cases........

No, you certainly aren't the only one...there are plenty of others, but your overpaying is legendary and almost unmatched, believe me. You've outbid basically everyone except DreamTR...and he outbids EVERYONE. You say you've been outbid tons of times, but if your bids were more rational, you'd have been outbid a hell of a lot more.

But hey...Pixelboy bought the collection at your price, so if you've had fun and you're happy...then in the end, all is well.