Ancient Art of War

Ancient Art of War at Sea

Populous

SimCity

MechWarrior

Pool of Radiance

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Secret of the Silver Blades

Those were some of my early favs on the PC. I still played a lot of stuff on C-64 and A2's back then, so the PC wasn't really my main gaming machine.

surprised no one has mentioned these gems yet

my favorite PC games:

Fallout

Fallout 2

Starcraft

Others:

Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle

all old Sierra adventures.....King's Quest 6 :lust:

old Apogee 2d platformers

Age of Empires series

SW: Galactic Battlegrounds series

command and conquer, yuri's revenge

Good man! The mind really is quicker than the eye!

Did you ever get wasted online by shadow461? I've no idea who that player might have been... :ponder:

Ha, maybe. I played online when I first got the game. I kept getting my ass kicked. The guys online were way above me at first. Yuris was the first C&C and RTS game I ever played, so it took some getting used to. When I first bought it me and my buddy stayed up for almost 24 hours taking turns trying to beat the computer on easy.

Looking back, I can't imagine why that was so hard... :ponder:

Anyway, we soon discovered this game made one of the best lan games ever. Been a while since I've played but, I would like to get back into it.

I got Yuri's Revenge on release day, however, I'd obtained a beta version before that. I handed a lot of people's butt to them when YR was officially released, and I continued to do so until early 2004 when my serial code was lost somewhere. I still have the serial for my collector's edition RA2 set, and I'm thinking of spending the $30 on aC&C compilation set just to be able to play online again.

My play style was something I couldn't help. If you played me, it would have been close to the beginning of the month, and I'd have probably destroyed either a miner or your power grid within the first two minutes. If the game continued, I would not have moved in for the kill just yet, unless it would have been a clean sweep with zero risk. I'd have built up at a medium pace, focusing mainly on Rhino Heavy Tanks, the all critical repair depot, and base defense. After six to eight minutes, I would have attempted the kill. Stronger players would have been broken either economically or by a divided tank rush which is difficult to explain (think of 20 to 30 rhino tanks split into four separate attack groups, yet lumped into a single mass of tanks). Some would have been broken by a nuclear missile and an iron curtain attack on irreplaceable structures such as airfields or oil derricks.

Anyone who penetrated my base would have seen their units die quickly to hidden sentry guns, perhaps a hidden devastator (for Chronosphere jumps), and hidden Flak Cannon. I'd put 'em behind any building tall enough to hide them, and I had an almost identical layout for each base I built due to this.

My units were almost always green. I played Quick Match games as Iraq, and Quick Co-Op games as Russia.

You might have played me in Co-Op, where you would have seen attack groups with three Rhino Tanks, three Tesla Tanks (to kill infantry), two Flak Tracks, and six V3 rocket launchers.

Sometimes I'd break away from my norm and play as Yuri or, very rarely an Allied team. I always chose Allied teams at random, and I liked punishing my opponents by sneaking the occasional French engineer into a power plant to be followed by a Grand Cannon...

I used the cheapest, cheesiest, most despicable (but fair) tactics to win tournament games. Anything I needed to do to win, as long as it was within Westwood's official rules, I did. Harvester killing, tank rushing, boomer rushing, you name it, I did it. Heck, boomer rushing was so cheesy that no one expected it. Because of this, it worked nearly every single time! One of the absolute cheapest things I did was to boomer rush this fellow, but I couldn't kill him right away. I teched up, and kept him to a construction yard, barracks, power plant, and a couple of miners. I finally sent in a few Lasher Tanks to finish him up, but he moved the Yard and my tanks wound up dying to his gattling guns. I tried again, this time with a fully charged Psychic Dominator. It's an old Soviet trick...send in engineers and terror drones in a Flak Track. When the Yard folds up to move away from the engineers, the Terror Drones infect it and it can't deploy again before it dies.

Well, this time, I had Yuri's forces, so no terror drones. When the Yard folded up, I mind controlled it with the dominator!

"Player defeated! You are victorious!"

LOL, those are some nice tactics. When I played online I would usally get engineer rushed. I would almost always get killed very quickly.. Everyone online was really really good. If they were all like you, who played non-stop, I had no chance. Back then I sucked alot worse than I do now too though. Oh, well its still fun to play.

I did win me a few matches online though.... Actully there was one Online I played about a year ago. It was 2 vs 2 and we were all about the same playing ability. Man, that game got insane! It was a long long battle, but we eventully lost. Mainly becuase my partner wouldnt listen to reason and did his own thing... :(

This is why I played Soviet so much. A Soviet tank force could stand almost on its own, and with a few special units thrown in, it was nearly unstoppable, with or without allies. Then sometimes you just get people who are going to do their own thing no matter what. The best bet is to turn on them early and take their resources. If that's not your style, then just leave them out to dry. Killing an unreliable ally early is best, though, as you can access their entire ore field instead of just what the drill brings up.

Most people didn't realize it, but there was just as much sneaky stuff going on in a Soviet base as there was an Allied one.

One of my most memorable battles was a four person free for all on Tsunami. I was playing as Iraq. I sent a combination engineer/tank rush to the northwest island and crippled the player there. I did not get his oil derricks or his MCV, however. He retaliated, taking out some vital units of mine. I built a repair bay and a second MCV, which I loaded into a transport and left sitting right there in the middle of my base. My enemies must have assumed the transport was empty.

The player on the northeast corner launched his Harriers when my air defense was down, and he wiped out the Construction Yard I had deployed. He also wiped out the War Factory in a later strike. I was left with a couple refineries, six miners, a barracks, a couple of ore drills, a shipyard, and a nuclear power plant. Sea Scorpions made quick work of the airstrikes, and I built massive amounts of subs to ward off anything else. This whole time, that transport sat untouched in the middle of my base.

The two of them realized that the cost of attacking what I had left was very high, and the player on the southeast island was starting to attack them. Northeast wiped southeast out, then northeast and northwest went into a 90 minute long war. I waited and waited, silently amassing both subs and the occasional scorpion. My base looked completely dead, but I had not surrendered yet. Northwest prevailed, expanding to the southeast island which was now empty.

At that point, I deployed my second MCV and began building a few tanks. Northwest had almost won the war when I kicked him off the southeast island. He had no resources left to fight me with--they'd all been used in the long battle. He finished northeast up, and we skirmished very briefly until he realized my tank force was considerably larger than what you'd find in a dead base--and it was coming over to the other two islands by transport.

With all eight oil derricks leveled and all the ore mined out, eight drills were left to produce a bit of ore each. Northwest had control of two drills, whereas I had control of six.

I fought a war of attrition with northwest for another hour until he finally gave in with this comment:

"You are bloody resilient"

On another occasion, I had hidden 30 rhino tanks behind a tall building at The Alamo. My opponent produced about a dozen Mirage tanks, then proceeded, foolishly, to attack me. All 30 rhino tanks rolled out at once and they didn't stop until they'd reached the other side of the map--leveling everything in their path. The fellow never knew what hit him.

I can't remember all the maps' names, but my favorite map of all was Tsunami. It required naval warfare, and I looked like a total pushover with my Soviet excuse for a navy.

Out of the tourney maps, I liked The Alamo, the Washington DC map, Golden State FWY, Lake Blitzen (good one for a surprise navy), Urban Rush (which was taken out of the Yuri' Revenge ladder) and Isle of War. There were others I favored, but those are the ones I can think of.

Don't forget about Emperor: Battle for Dune. I don't think it's in the Command & Conquer compilations, as it's not really a C&C title. It's an RTS like Command & Conquer, but it's 3D and you can tell that Westwood pulled out all the stops on it.

Just as in Yuri's Revenge, you have three main sides, or "houses". You also have five "sub houses" which can be paired with any of the three main ones. You choose a main and two subhouses--I think I used House Ix and the Fremen as subs. House Harkonnen was my main one. It's like being able to equip the Russian forces with invisible snipers and demolition trucks.

The visuals in Emperor have to be seen to be appreciated, though. It sports volumetric shadowing, uses hardware T&L if it's available, has a redone yet familiar interface, zoom in/out and rotate features, more detail on the terrain, and that's just the graphic stuff. It scales down for some graphics cards, notably the Voodoo 5 5500, but it still runs very well on anything V5 and up.

All three houses have a full set of missions and there are date activated features in the game.

It's a shame Emperor wasn't more popular--its pure eye candy with Westwood's rock solid RTS gameplay to boot. I think it might have had something to do with the EA merger and the fact that Yuri's Revenge had all the attention at the time. It's a doozy of a game, though--it comes in a four CD set, and that's with no expansion packs or "extras" discs.