IGNORED

Geometry Wars

Mendon

Is anyone excited about a Wii release for this game?

Even though I'm not that good at playing the game, I **LOVE** Geometry Wars Evolved. But I've sat and tried to figure out how they are going to incorporate the Wiimote/Nunchuk into the gameplay of the game and for the life of me, I can't imagine how they are going to make the game BETTER than the 360 version (and I won't even think about a DS version).

Anyone have any ideas on what might actually be planned for the Wii version of the game and do you think it might be a better gaming experience than using a standard controller?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

With the remote, the analog stick moves, and there's a pointer on screen you use to target a direction to fire in.

Last I heard though you can use the classic controller as well for the 360 style dual analog gameplay.

Told ya.

I'm Psychic.

Heh, J/K

I'll reserve judgement until after I've tried it.

I'm hoping they'll have that at kiosks or something so folks can try it out since I seriously doubt I'd pay for the game again. (Unless that remote way of controlling it is just a "must have" but honestly....it doesnt sound like it is."

Is this just a port of the 360 game? Or are there extras? I assume a VC release for ~$5?

I don't know if motion controls can improve on the dual stick setup it has now.

They said there's going to be a lot more to the game. Lots more level designs and enemies and shit.

And yeah, it's getting a full disc release, so I'd expect it to cost more than 5 bucks.

Considering how much they're adding to the game (multiple "galaxies," different levels/weapons/enemies, online leaderboards, etc), I would go up to $30 for it. From the many previews out there, it sounds like a lot more game than GW Evolved. HOWEVER, it still doesn't sound like $50's worth.

Considering how much they're adding to the game (multiple "galaxies," different levels/weapons/enemies, online leaderboards, etc), I would go up to $30 for it. From the many previews out there, it sounds like a lot more game than GW Evolved. HOWEVER, it still doesn't sound like $50's worth.

It looks like it will be $40.

Well, I was expecting $50, so I guess that's good. But unless the reviews are drastically better than the previews it still seems a bit too steep, especially considering all the other games competing for my dollars this fall. I would like to try it, though, the game sounds pretty fun.

If that's the case they're taking the piss somewhat. I'm interested to see how it'll work out, but I'm not paying probably $45 Canadian for the experience.

Well, I was expecting $50, so I guess that's good. But unless the reviews are drastically better than the previews it still seems a bit too steep, especially considering all the other games competing for my dollars this fall. I would like to try it, though, the game sounds pretty fun.

I agree with you.

Honestly, if the game was on the PS2, it would launch at $15 or $20. Modern game prices seem to be going back to their old pre-Playstation era price range.

Yeah... EB's online release list shows Geometry Wars coming on Nov. 6th and costing $40. They also list Luxor: Pharoah's Challenge as coming in Oct. for $40.

That's two Xbox Live games that cost $10 or less selling for $40 on the Wii. Oh well, at least a couple low priced Wii games are coming: Mercury Meltdown at $20 and Puzzle Quest at $30.

Mendon

That's two Xbox Live games that cost $10 or less selling for $40 on the Wii. Oh well, at least a couple low priced Wii games are coming: Mercury Meltdown at $20 and Puzzle Quest at $30.
I'll probably pick up Mercury Meltdown for $20 - that sounds pretty good. I hope they reconsider the GWG price, though, because the game does sound like a lot of fun.

It had better not be more expensive than the 360 version...unless there is a whole lot more to the game.

yes its more expensive.. yes its a full game.. a lot more levels etc. it will be worth the price tag im sure, not just some small dloadable short thrill.

its like saying you wont pick up Prime 3 because Hunters was really shallow and repetitive. they are two different games and other than being in the same franchise shouldn't be compared in pricing.

Edited by AtariJr

It had better not be more expensive than the 360 version...unless there is a whole lot more to the game.

yes its more expensive.. yes its a full game.. a lot more levels etc. it will be worth the price tag im sure, not just some small dloadable short thrill.

its like saying you wont pick up Prime 3 because Hunters was really shallow and repetitive. they are two different games and other than being in the same franchise shouldn't be compared in pricing.

GW on the 360 doesn't have levels at all, so if this versions big claim to fame is it has more levels...I dunno what to say. Levels didn't make the original GW what it was.

I'm curious how many times you've played this new version? I want to know so I can determine if your comments hold any water or if you're just spouting off about a game you know nothing about again. You're so sure it will be worth it...How again? :cool:

BTW, Did your mom lift restrictions on the PC? We've all missed your overly optimistic posts regarding all Wii games. ;)

No, you have it all wrong. Geometry Wars is a new "classic arcade game" in the same vein as Asteroids, Tempest, Robotron...etc. It plays like a classic game...surviving and getting a high score is the point. Simple, fast paced gameplay. Very short games.

If this is not what the Wii version is, then it might be worth more than 5-10 bucks. If it is a totally new game in the GW franchise, with $50 worth of gameplay and depth and longevity, then it will be worth it.

If it is just a slightly enhanced version of the XBLA original, then it will be a ripoff if it costs more than $10.

no offense.. but Rez was all about getting the high score etc.. but that was worth well more than 50 dollars to me, even though it was a simple shooter at it's core. its a bit unfair to say a game isnt worth a higher price tag just because of it's genre dont you think? it has a LOT more content than the original dloadable version, and is a full game.. in my opinion, that time, effort, and money put into this larger game deserves a larger price tag. you pay for more content.. no matter how simple the game is at it's core.

i mean.. i can think of tons of non-cheap shooters off the top of my mind. nanostray, r-types (like the ones on the ps2) etc all come to mind. just my two cents.

its a bit unfair to say a game isnt worth a higher price tag just because of it's genre dont you think? it has a LOT more content than the original dloadable version, and is a full game.. in my opinion, that time, effort, and money put into this larger game deserves a larger price tag. you pay for more content.. no matter how simple the game is at it's core.

Only time will tell how much more content Geometry Wars Galaxies has. Speaking for myself, I'm viewing it as falling under the same rules as a 2D scrolling shooter, and my current rule for those is "if it's over $30, skip it." Quite frankly, there are some genres which aren't worth $50 a pop.

Edit: Regarding shooters: I believe R-Type Final was $20 new. I think Nanostray was $30, and even Gradius V was $30. Raiden III was $30 when I bought it, but dropped to $15 within a week.

I think the last shooter I paid over $30 for was Ikaruga.

Edited by Gabriel